Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up an Autometer A/F gauge today, and either the gauge is screwed up or I tapped the wrong wire on the ECU, or it's normal and I don't realize it. When I started the car after hooking it up, it seemed fine, but when I drove the car later, the gauge was going nuts! It was going from lean to stoich to rich rapidly! It was also not showing anything at times. There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern, although it did SEEM to be somewhat related to the rpms. Can anyone tell me how it should be working or offer any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that this gauge is not new; just new to me. I got it with the turbo kit I bought, so I have no idea how old it is or anything like that. The only other A/F gauge I have seen working was in a friend's car, and it moved pretty slow and steady rather than quick and darty!

I am planning on hooking up my Field SFC tomorrow; it has an O2 monitor on it, so I can compare it to that.

:(

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I did some research and found out that it will only really work under full throttle and just go back and forth otherwise, so it seems to be working correctly. I'm thinking about getting a different gauge for that spot! I just find it to be very irritating, but I'll at least try it out for a few days.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
That's normal. It's actally reading the 02 sensor and ecu constantly adjusting the mixture during normal operation. At WOT, the fuel is fed by preset tables in the ECU, so the gauge reflects this as a steady reading or slowly changing due to the actual air intake for the given RPM, vacuum, etc...

You get used to it jumping around. Just make sure you stay green when you mash it!

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jay!
I haven't driven it yet today, but last night at WOT it was in the rich area. I just finished installing an RS fuel pump, and the Field SFC is going in in just a few minutes...The car goes to the shop on Tuesday for the turbo!:D I decided to just have one of the local shops do the uppipe and finish the stuff I don't get to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts