Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm looking at maybe do a few more small tweeks to the suspension of my car. I'm not ready to lose ride height or my luxury car plushness ;) yet. So I'm thinking of getting some underbody braces, but I haven't heard much about them. They worth the money or what? I know the WRX gets all this fancy bracing from Cusco, while we get a rather wimpy looking rear bar. I like using Cusco, but I'm thinking Tanabe's much tougher looking front and rear bracing might be better. Anybody have any thoughts or experiences? Does Cusco make a front brace for our car?

Right now I have...
Cusco front strut bar
Cusco rear strut bar
FHI 18mm rear sway

JC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
front bracing?
u mean those underbody things?

i purchased one... wont fit unless you have a turbo...
sent it back...

looked like this:


zat what you're talking about?

not even sure they DO anything...

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
i know i guy who had one of the rear braces on his car. he couldn't really notice much of a difference. then again, his car was built to the hilt of STS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Subie Gal said:
front bracing?
u mean those underbody things?

i purchased one... wont fit unless you have a turbo...
sent it back...

looked like this:
:barf:
zat what you're talking about?

not even sure they DO anything...

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

Those MRT things don't fit ANY cars in the US. ANY, you can tell by looking at it the hole spacing is way off. I wish they did fit because they stiffen the front cross member. When you have an ant-lift kit, front sway bar, and tower brace most of what was fram/suspension deflection is transferred to the front cross member. This part augments the other upgrades and allows them to perform optimally. So they do, do something.
Why don’t they fit?
I was told they don’t fit because the US cars have a slightly different sub-frame because of those nasty little crash tests. I’m sure there are other reasons.
Why are there in the states?
I was told there are two reasons:
Idiot shop owners and
A misrepresentation of the product by the US distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
10th Warrior said:
i know i guy who had one of the rear braces on his car. he couldn't really notice much of a difference. then again, his car was built to the hilt of STS.
The rear brace doesn't do much your're right. It's cheap and that's always good.
 

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subie Gal said:
front bracing?
u mean those underbody things?

i purchased one... wont fit unless you have a turbo...
sent it back...

looked like this:


zat what you're talking about?

not even sure they DO anything...

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
Ya, but not MRTs part. Tanabe makes one, of course I don't know if it fits.



JC
 

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
Tall J said:
Those MRT things don't fit ANY cars in the US. ANY, you can tell by looking at it the hole spacing is way off. I wish they did fit because they stiffen the front cross member. When you have an ant-lift kit, front sway bar, and tower brace most of what was fram/suspension deflection is transferred to the front cross member. This part augments the other upgrades and allows them to perform optimally. So they do, do something.
Why don’t they fit?
I was told they don’t fit because the US cars have a slightly different sub-frame because of those nasty little crash tests. I’m sure there are other reasons.
Why are there in the states?
I was told there are two reasons:
Idiot shop owners and
A misrepresentation of the product by the US distributor.
Well, I personally test fit the GC8 lower frame brace at JIC and it did not fit due to our N/A headers and cat pipe. JIC specifically states in it's catalogues and online that their's only fits JDM spec cars with Turbos.
 
Silver 2K RS Coupe
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
I also have heard that the rear crossmember braces (cusco) don't do anything except look cool when you are under the car.
Glad to hear the MRT front doesn't fit, I was considering getting one :)

Maybe somone here should build a front brace like the MRT that will fit the RS? I see $$$ for someone with fabrication ability...
 

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
ampsarus said:
I also have heard that the rear crossmember braces (cusco) don't do anything except look cool when you are under the car.
Glad to hear the MRT front doesn't fit, I was considering getting one :)

Maybe somone here should build a front brace like the MRT that will fit the RS? I see $$$ for someone with fabrication ability...
JIC is considering it.
 
Silver 2K RS Coupe
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
I hope somebody decides to build functional braces. I think it would help my car greatly. The chassis didn't feel very filmsy until I started changing springs, dampers, etc. That Tanabe brace doesn't look like it would be very rigid. I think something more along the lines of MRT's design would be much stiffer.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top