Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm looking at maybe do a few more small tweeks to the suspension of my car. I'm not ready to lose ride height or my luxury car plushness ;) yet. So I'm thinking of getting some underbody braces, but I haven't heard much about them. They worth the money or what? I know the WRX gets all this fancy bracing from Cusco, while we get a rather wimpy looking rear bar. I like using Cusco, but I'm thinking Tanabe's much tougher looking front and rear bracing might be better. Anybody have any thoughts or experiences? Does Cusco make a front brace for our car?

Right now I have...
Cusco front strut bar
Cusco rear strut bar
FHI 18mm rear sway

JC

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
front bracing?
u mean those underbody things?

i purchased one... wont fit unless you have a turbo...
sent it back...

looked like this:

zat what you're talking about?

not even sure they DO anything...

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i know i guy who had one of the rear braces on his car. he couldn't really notice much of a difference. then again, his car was built to the hilt of STS.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Subie Gal said:
front bracing?

sent it back...

looked like this:
:barf:

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

Those MRT things don't fit ANY cars in the US. ANY, you can tell by looking at it the hole spacing is way off. I wish they did fit because they stiffen the front cross member. When you have an ant-lift kit, front sway bar, and tower brace most of what was fram/suspension deflection is transferred to the front cross member. This part augments the other upgrades and allows them to perform optimally. So they do, do something.
Why don’t they fit?
I was told they don’t fit because the US cars have a slightly different sub-frame because of those nasty little crash tests. I’m sure there are other reasons.
Why are there in the states?
I was told there are two reasons:
Idiot shop owners and
A misrepresentation of the product by the US distributor.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
10th Warrior said:
i know i guy who had one of the rear braces on his car. he couldn't really notice much of a difference. then again, his car was built to the hilt of STS.
The rear brace doesn't do much your're right. It's cheap and that's always good.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subie Gal said:
front bracing?

sent it back...

looked like this:

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
Ya, but not MRTs part. Tanabe makes one, of course I don't know if it fits.

JC

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Tall J said:
Those MRT things don't fit ANY cars in the US. ANY, you can tell by looking at it the hole spacing is way off. I wish they did fit because they stiffen the front cross member. When you have an ant-lift kit, front sway bar, and tower brace most of what was fram/suspension deflection is transferred to the front cross member. This part augments the other upgrades and allows them to perform optimally. So they do, do something.
Why don’t they fit?
I was told they don’t fit because the US cars have a slightly different sub-frame because of those nasty little crash tests. I’m sure there are other reasons.
Why are there in the states?
I was told there are two reasons:
Idiot shop owners and
A misrepresentation of the product by the US distributor.
Well, I personally test fit the GC8 lower frame brace at JIC and it did not fit due to our N/A headers and cat pipe. JIC specifically states in it's catalogues and online that their's only fits JDM spec cars with Turbos.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I also have heard that the rear crossmember braces (cusco) don't do anything except look cool when you are under the car.
Glad to hear the MRT front doesn't fit, I was considering getting one :)

Maybe somone here should build a front brace like the MRT that will fit the RS? I see $$$ for someone with fabrication ability...

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
ampsarus said:
I also have heard that the rear crossmember braces (cusco) don't do anything except look cool when you are under the car.
Glad to hear the MRT front doesn't fit, I was considering getting one :)

Maybe somone here should build a front brace like the MRT that will fit the RS? I see $$$ for someone with fabrication ability...
JIC is considering it.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I hope somebody decides to build functional braces. I think it would help my car greatly. The chassis didn't feel very filmsy until I started changing springs, dampers, etc. That Tanabe brace doesn't look like it would be very rigid. I think something more along the lines of MRT's design would be much stiffer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts