Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, Bl
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noise level? At idle, WOT? How do they actually test it. Are you catless or without a resonator? Bummer they're such sticklers.
It's noise level at idle. They don't really "test it" per say. I've never seen a db meter. Lol. It seem to be completely up to the discretion of the inspector. At the moment I'm still completely stock. Waiting for spring to install uel header, HFC, and cat back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like the most half-ass way to test something.. lol. I mean, how can you tell if that car is louder than stock if you don't have a stock specimen nearby, or know the car really well.
Apparently the inspectors are all knowing when it comes to vehicle exhaust. Lol this is Massachusetts after all. :blol:

·
L On Roids.
98L 2.2
1,371 Posts
in ma, any modifications to the exhaust is illegal, unless it makes your car quieter.
^ True. Cops and inspection places were giving me crap for a STi axleback on my 1.8 before it was swapped. Told them that it's technically a stock exhaust, brought it to court when I had to fight a ticket, and won.

Mass is a bitch when it comes to car inspections.

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
It's noise level at idle. They don't really "test it" per say. I've never seen a db meter. Lol. It seem to be completely up to the discretion of the inspector. At the moment I'm still completely stock. Waiting for spring to install uel header, HFC, and cat back.
I'd just wait to put the exhaust on until after you get inspected. I remember they were pricks about it when I lived in Mass-----18 years ago. Mass pretty much sucks. I'm often ashamed to say I lived in Mass for the first 18 years of my life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ True. Cops and inspection places were giving me crap for a STi axleback on my 1.8 before it was swapped. Told them that it's technically a stock exhaust, brought it to court when I had to fight a ticket, and won.

Mass is a bitch when it comes to car inspections.
It seems to me that the inspector, officer, or state would have to provide PROOF of how loud the OEM exhaust is/was, then how loud your installed exhaust is, and the diffrence in DB at idle, in order to make something like this stick in court.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,176 Posts
Just about the same as there are in MA. Anything other the stock exhaust is illegal.
Not completely true. I got my car inspected with a wrx catback and canister style muffler no problem. Just put the silencer in for inspection then took it out when i got home.

·
Registered
00' VVRP GC6
221 Posts
Just about the same as there are in MA. Anything other the stock exhaust is illegal.
Unless this like just happened, that's wrong.

Also, don't let anyone tell you you're exhaust is too loud to pass in NH. There is NO LAW in regards to exhaust noise. Only places like Jiffy Lube will try to pull that, then they'll hand you a business card to one of their overpriced affiliates to get it "fixed."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.