Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've been around for a while and seems like everyone agree's that our cars are flying bricks.. so what can we do to fix this?

I was looking at other cars and comparing our front fascia to theirs and we have softer lines but they can attain a higer speed. I don't know if it's because of higher gearing and more power (probably so) but still what can we do to help our scoobs out?

How does the skyline over come aerodynamics? their front is just as flat as ours..

any ideas?

oh and kinda on the technical subject if anyone knows any good links to intake manifolds (thinking of making my own just need a good place to find info on calculations to look into) can you send them my way.. want to fix that when i start making big plans with heads/valve size/etc.

thanks,
Robert:sunny:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
How does the skyline over come aerodynamics? their front is just as flat as ours..
the R34 has all kinds of rear diffusers and underbody channels. Nissan has really been going hardcore with underbodies (not Ferrari h/c, but cool none-the-less). check out the G35 with the areo package. CD=.26! and it has zero lift f/r!!! nearly all this is due to keeping the air under the car flowing smoothly.

as for our cars, put on a L front bumper and hood. that will help the front end. the real problem is the drag over the back. next time its raining as you drive down the highway, look at the water on the rear window. notice how it doesn't move at all. the air coming over the roof is all kinds of fucked and it stays up high (which is why the WRC cars kept moving to taller and taller rear wings) which creates low pressure over the trunk which creates swirl which makes lots and lots of drag. the car is a pig. accept it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I feel your pain, i went from a 300rwhp FD to a stock 2.5 RS :barf:
I noticed that too about the rear window. I decided to pick up the pace to about 100mph and i saw the droplets of water go in 2 circles, almost making an "8"... but never did i see the water escape from the window.

Nice to know our GC8s are among the aerodynamic ranks of Fox Body Mustangs :)

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
The front isn't as bad as you think. Not a lot of air is pushed under the car, of course the lip is helping in that, and the flow across the hood is nice. The scoop, obviously, is not flow friendly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
let me do some more research but what if we adapted the underbody tunneling of different cars to ours.. maybe that'll make a difference.

hmm.. i wonder if a underbody skid plate on our car effects aero any? might be a good thing to look at..

that rear wing that puck has doesn't seem to do anything maybe it's speed activated.. ??:stupid:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
that rear wing that puck has doesn't seem to do anything maybe it's speed activated.. ??
what are you talking about. look at the strings on the bottom of the element! see how they curve up with the angle of the wing. that's good.

thanks for the picks puckaveli. very interesting.

i wonder if a underbody skid plate on our car effects aero any?
this is pretty much what the G35 and 350Z do. you should go to a dealer and look under one, esp. the G35. it is incredibly flat underneath there. as for the impreza, its not too bad. it's a little high off the ground though. i've got the primitive skidplate on my car. if it does anything areodynamically, it certianly isn't worth the weight penalty :) does great at keeping rocks away from the oilpan and headers, though ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i honestly didn't look at the underside of the wing i was more so looking at the window and upper portion of the trunk. I was thinking something totally off point so just forget what i said.

but yeah i'll go check out a 350z when i get a chance we have a few at the dealer here..

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe I read that the UK GC Impreza had a Cd factor of .35

Not great, but there are definitely worse.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
subaru mini people mover

the mini people mover show earlier w/c subaru is planning to build, is actually an Opel Zafira. They'll actually just use the body. The same car is sold here down under as Holden Zafira (rebadged).

just for your info.

·
Registered
65 Posts
what about body kits?? what do those do for the aerodynamics of our cars?? im talkin like skirts, lips and bumpers... btw what is the CD on a stock 2.5rs??

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Ah, time for my engineering nerdisms again. Anyhow, technically the best way to improve the aerodynamics of the car is to streamline the rear. Think of an airplane, the big jet liners not the cool fighter jets, the noses of those are pretty blunt and they're streamlined to the rear.

In general, cars are shaped like wings, that's why cars get floaty at higher speeds. The whole deal with underbody crap is to reduece the float and to improve flow under the car. There are big holes, such as right under the hood that screw flow considerably. And in general flow over low spoilers is shitty, so they get taller.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
mauahah said:
what about body kits?? what do those do for the aerodynamics of our cars?? im talkin like skirts, lips and bumpers... btw what is the CD on a stock 2.5rs??
body kits are designed for looks more then performance. the only ones that would probably have decent (though hardly noticeable on the street) improvements would be stuff by Prodrive and STi. these are designed and actually tested for subarus and their performance. not to say that looks don't influnence the design...

anyway, CD=0.36.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
A lip would keep more air from going under the car, and unless you have underbody channels to direct that air out the back it will just lift the car at high speeds. Most the bad high speed action does happen in the rear like Doorknob said.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts