Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 impreza EJ22 trying to sync my ignition timing on AEM program, closest I can get it to 10° btdc is about 40°. Looking for a snapshot of someone's successful program settings. Specifically your ignition sync value. Mine is 3.771 teeth at my closest setting.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
I'm gonna move this to NA tuning

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,913 Posts
Can you post a screen shot of what you can setup for your tooth trigger settings? I downloaded the AEM tuning software and it appears to be coded for the 36-2-2-2 setup for the WRX/STI. Unlike MS1/2/3 or others that dont have a hard coded settings you might need to physically change the crank/cam sensors to the 36-2-2-2 wheel to make this work.

Is this what you are seeing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey on my program I have the subaru 6/7 option under the cam and crank setup window. It is on the older program recommended for the ems-4. I am in the process of using a scope to check that I have clean signals to the ems, none of what im seeing with the timing light makes sense and keeps changing every time I go to sync it so I think I'm on the right path. I have a 36 2 2 2 that you speak of with the matching cam sprocket but I'd like to make this work with the 6/7 as the other 3 engines I have use this setup! Thanks for your time will keep this updated best I can!

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,913 Posts
I dont know how good the circuit is on the AEM but with Megasquirt some people have had luck putting a resistor across the leads from the sensor. I dont remember what the value used was but you should be able to search on a few forums or try a few different values.

So some reason others have had issues with the OEM crank sensor not working without some fiddling. I would give the resistor a go.

I didnt see it but does the AEM logger have the ability to log crank tooth count and sync? That might be helpful too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still can't get it to 10* btdc for timing sync, closest I can get to 10* is about 40*.have tried changing ecu grounds around to the block, chassis and battery locations with the same result. What am I missing here? I have verified TDC marks by physical piston location on #1 cyl and TDC arrow on cam sprocket

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,913 Posts
[/URL]

Looks like AEM never actually ran the 6/7 setup outside of the bench. From reading the thread above another person just modified the spark table to zero the timing. Not the correct way to do it but should make it start. However, the ignition fell apart at higher RPM because sync couldnt be maintained.

From the scope readings are you reading the positive side or negative side? Your output is clear but you might be triggering from the wrong side. I think you should see a rising edge as the tooth approaches the sensor not a falling edge. Try reversing sensor wires and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
925 Posts
I dont know how good the circuit is on the AEM but with Megasquirt some people have had luck putting a resistor across the leads from the sensor. I dont remember what the value used was but you should be able to search on a few forums or try a few different values.
I had to do this with my AEM FIC 6 for cam and crank signals. 2.2k[ohms] is the calculated recommended value, but I used 3k and it works fine. Before this it would start to break up above 3krpm and get worse with more revs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This would make sense that AEM only ran this on the bench, the marks for the timing belt change procedure line up perfectly with 10* BTDC but that is not even close to actual TDC. I have tried swapping the wires in the cam and crank sensor plugs to reverse the polarity of the signal with the same result. I will try to figure out how many teeth it's out by and plug that into the timing table

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car is running! So after all that messing around trying to get the timing to 10* this is how it works. Get the timing sync to as close as it will go while cranking it over, in my case 30* advanced. Then just keep throwing fuel into your cranking time table until it starts. ( I did an additional 20% per starting attempt) THEN SET YOUR DESIRED BASE IDLE TIMING WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts