Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2004 2.5rs. SOHC 16 valve et..Wondering if it would be more efficient to try and rebuild and boost/tune, and all the fun stuff to my current engine, or just buy a new wrx engine and swap. Somewhat new to working under the hood..i know the basics but no doubt there are things im not thinking about when it comes to making the right decision. Any input is appreciated.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,608 Posts
The easiest would just be to sell the whole car and get a 2004 WRX. Everything works perfectly out of the box and is easily tune-able. If you're new to working under the hood that is 100% the way to go. Once you start modifying stuff it makes the car less reliable and can lead to problems down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I’ve heard that answer a few times. I should have also mentioned i wouldn’t be doing this myself as i have many mechanic friends and people to call etc. But thank you I appreciate the input. Might just do that

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Unless the stars align perfectly, you end up way ahead financially, if you buy the car you wanted in the first place

Since you're in Canada, why don't you get a JDM GC STI?

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,608 Posts
You've heard that answer because it's genuinely the best answer, especially coming from guys who have done it both ways. My friend started a WRX engine swap in a 2002 RS and has yet to get it running correctly over the last three years, while in that time I've swapped two RS's and bought a 2004 WRX as a daily. A stock GD WRX is a ton of fun as a daily driver as all the performance parts it comes factory standard with, and you can get it serviced at the dealer and easily buy and replace parts. I loved just having a car that worked perfectly, versus my swapped cars which always have little random bullshit things going wrong. You can find a 2004 WRX for under $3000 in my area, and you'll be in well over $3000 if you reliably swap or build/turbo your current car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts