Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you adjust the parking brake after a brake pad change? damn, i feel like a newbie, and i did do a search! thanks in advance

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

anyone? i always park on a hill and my hand brakes don't lock.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, could you clarify? If you changed the rear pads I'm assuming you have rear disk brakes. Replacing the pads do not effect the parking brake as that works off of shoes that are internal to the rotor itself. So the two are not related. You state that the lever will not lock. Is it going up too high locking but not doing anything or is it just not locking and falling back down. If it's going too far and locking then you need to adjust the cable. That is done by removing the console by the hand brake and adjusting the set screw to the cables. If it's not locking and flopping back down then there is something wrong with the button mechanism.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. i'm sorry i'm not clear. still kinda tired. well, i never make myself clear either so, :biggest: . anyways, it's locking, but locking too high. that was the problem.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I think the spec is like 8 clicks (or is it 11) and it's suppose to take hold. Just open the console and by the back of the e-brake lever you will be able to see the cable and the adjusting nuts.

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Everytime i try a handbrake turn (yes, I know it's hard on the diffs) I have to readjust the cable. It seems like I wear the shoes out quickly, but it might just be the cable getting loose. I dunno, I think I'll check out my rear brakes now.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
DoorKnob said:
Everytime i try a handbrake turn (yes, I know it's hard on the diffs) I have to readjust the cable. It seems like I wear the shoes out quickly, but it might just be the cable getting loose. I dunno, I think I'll check out my rear brakes now.
It's hard on your transmission as well as your center differential. You are asking for some serious, major expensive damage doing that with an AWD car. Be careful, you have been forewarned! :eek:

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
better say sorry to james and tell him you won't ever do that again DoorKnob, or else he is gonna ban yo ass from this place. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts