Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
00rs and 97 GF8 L wagon
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i did this yesterday and it worked pretty good. This mod was was originally from George of the Jungle (I think)

Previously the mod's solution was to only put washers on the strut piston but George pointed out that you can put the washers on the top mount bolts instead.

But what I did was put washers both on the strut piston and top mount bolts. I think safely you can get 1/2 inch raise (which is what i did) and a maximum of 3/4 inch which may be pushing it too much as there would be little thread for the bolts to torque on. So decide how you will divide how much washers you want on the piston strut and top mount bolts to sum up the total height.

For example: 1/4 inch tota of washers on strut bolt + 1/4 inch total of
washers on top mount bolts = 1/2 inches you will raise the
height.

I bought grade 8 hardened washers from home depot. You will want to buy the largest washers that will cover most surface area but will not get in the way of anything, so take everything off and look at everything to understand what I'm taling about.

I still have to do the drivers side. I will post pics of my car later.

Attachments

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
fuck yeah prezy! good to know that this worked. i JUST yesterday was talking to ashley about doing them both to get some added height. this is awesome. i'm doing it tommorrow. unless i get lazy. :lol:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
your way...
ground controls : ~400 bucks.

i saved 295 bucks.

...but, your spring rates will probably be better, and you have adjustability. BUT, you still have to get them installed by grinding/cutting some things on your struts.

if i could afford the GC's...i'd get them in a heartbeat.

08 STI & 71 FJ40 & ruckus
1,666 Posts
no, i would say more from hauling shit around in the back of the wagon. or, i guess if you used your wagon as a shagin wagon then it might be from that also :D all that damn repetitive moment :D

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
w1ngzer0 said:
ass sag? would that be lack of proper dampening?
no. it's caused by the springs not being tall enough to compensate for the extra weight that's shifted to the back of the car with the wagon. and from what i've seen with both my old coupe and wagon sitting next to each other, the body mount for the rear is a little higher in relation to car itself than in the coupe/sedan.

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
George of the Jungle said:
your way...
ground controls : ~400 bucks.

i saved 295 bucks.

...but, your spring rates will probably be better, and you have adjustability. BUT, you still have to get them installed by grinding/cutting some things on your struts.

if i could afford the GC's...i'd get them in a heartbeat.
well lets just say im gettin a bit of a deal on a set up

400 for GC's on AYB AGX's with less then 15k miles on them
i think im going to do alright

trust me im broke so i know how to save money

·
Registered
757 Posts
my coupe sags in the ass too. i have a strut bar in the rear so would i just put the washers on top of the strut bar under the bolts? i need to do this but when i get my AGX's and H&r's hopefully i wont need it.

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
so what size washers were you guys using, how many did you use? any problem with rattles or noise after the mod. I think I may throw a couple of these on my rear struts when I put my p1's on, just to be safe. I have a coupe but I would rather have too much gap in the back then ass sag.

·
Registered
776 Posts
geez, 5 washers and you still had thread to grab. and your putting them on the top of the strut moutn between that and the metal right?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
yeah, i still had about 3 threads left after tightening down all the way.

there are two ways that have been discussed:

first:
put the washers on the strut itself and then bolt it to the strut mount. (this is the one i have currently)

second:
put three groups of washers on the top side of the strut mount, and then bolt it into the car, so that you're pushing the mount farther down. (i haven't done this one yet)

·
Registered
776 Posts
ok, seems like if you put the washers in the actuall strut mount that you might not get the springs full locked down, did you have any problem with this. meaning the spring wouldn't sit tight on the top of the mount because of the washers. any noise issues at all for you?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts