Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory alarm doesn't go off when the trunk is opened. I'm about to add some stereo stuff to my trunk, and I want the alarm to sound if someone opens my trunk.

Help please? I know James has done this, but I'd like some how-to's or part numbers please...

thanks,
-scott-

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
It's too easy - go to the dealer, tell them you need a replacement switch for the driver side door (that controls the dome light). I think I paid $25.

Then, drill a hole somewhere (I put mine near the rear window) and run the two wires to the wire at the drivers side door, and tap them in.

You're done!

I think there is a picture on the "My Car" link from my home page - www.rs25.com - go check it out.

:D

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
It's quite a nifty set up.

Nick C.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did it. My car already had the trunk light mod, so all I had to do was add a connection from the trunk light to the switch that lets the car know that the drivers' door is open. And I didn't have to drill anything, there's an opening you can use if you remove your rear seats; I ran my wire right near the rear strut towers.

I'll try to post some pics later,
-scott-

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey James with your setup the interior light comes on when you open the trunk? Atleast it sounds like it would, since you are tapping off the door pin switch.

Buster

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
That is correct. I was thinking of running a wire from the roof interior light to another light in the trunk and I would be all set.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Personally I would just run a 12v(hot) to the trunk light. Rather than pulling it off of the interior light. Fuse it at 5A, and you would tap the pinswitch in your trunk for the ground. That is of course the pinswitch is throwing a ground. On most cars it does, I have yet to check on ours though.

Oh yeah....
There is actually a 12v(hot) wire in the trunk already so that is done for ya. Not sure which fuse it is actually ran through in the fuse box though. In my 97 that I had, I did the trunk light mod. Since you have the switch right there check and see if it throwing a positive or ground, if it is a ground you are all set. :D

Just a thought.

Buster

1 - 7 of 7 Posts