Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.5RS, GT30R, Haltech E1000
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up?? I JUST finished my turbo install and got the car back from the tuner. The car is currently running an Ebay wrx Turboback exhaust. And it is waaaaaaaay too LOUD !

I don't want to restrict flow too much. I am looking for something that is realatively quiet (I am 36 and tired of loud shit)

What do you guys reccomend to add to the exhaust to quiet it down???

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,191 Posts
I have a catless perrin downpipe, 3" exhaust shop custom, in to a prodrive muffler. the sound of power is discovered, not announced. favorite thing to say about my car is that it doesn't sound like a stupid subaru. lol

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I don't know how restrictive a stock GD WRX muffler is, probably more than less, but I loved the sound of the one I had. It rumbled nicely but had no rasp and was definitely on the quiet side. Honestly I wished it was a little louder, but you could hear it.

Edit: Stock header, catless UP, 3" catless DP, stock 02-03 midpipe and muffler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have headers, high flow cat and 2.5" exhaust (this is with a supercharger, not a turbo) and it wasn't until I added 2 Magnaflow mufflers and a finally a resonator that it was tolerable. The resonator made the biggest difference.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I've always wanted to build an exhaust completely out of glass packs. I had 3 on my H6 it sounded incredible. Too bad they need to be replaced after a few years.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts

As many resonators as can fit, plus be sure to have the largest muffler possible. I had one with the larger oem style muffler but the tip was 4". It was better than the cannon muffler style but still fairly loud. Got the invidia Q300 and it was a little better because better muffler baffling.

This time I'm getting several resonators and a large Apexi universal muffler, all done together. It will still be 3" minimum pipe all the way back, so long as the resonators and mufflers don't reduce diameter it shouldn't affect power enough to notice.

Resonators are pretty much tiny mufflers, so they just mellow the tone even more before it gets to the muffler. There is limited space under compact vehicles, so anywhere they can cram additional muffling is advantageous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts