Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and i don't know why, it just seemed to start doin it, it's leaking out of a seal in the front of the engine, where that big plate attaches..., i'm not good w/ part names, but it's the plate in the front, and it has holes where the pulleys are mounted too
anyway it seems to be leaking all along the bottom edge, and also along the point where the oil pan is mounted to the engine....

H

·
0 Posts
Change your oil filter. Clean it up, make sure there aren't multiple gaskets on the filter, and drive it a bit more. Make sure it's actually leaking and not just the filter.

:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would there be multiple gaskets around the oil filter plz explain this...

and why is the oil along the joint lines of the other places if it'd be from the filter?

on a side but possibly related note, i hit a deer a while back, havn't noticed anything between then and now, as for oil, but could it be related?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Just for the record, I thought I had a leak from the passenger side of my engine only to find out that the oil filter wasn't put on tight enough. I was the idiot. I even took it to the dealer. Oh well, they didn't do the inspection charge on my reciept. Whew. :p

H

·
0 Posts
Sometimes when you take one filter off the gasket sticks to the motor, then you put a new filter on with another gasket, you get two. :)

But since you left out the thing about your car having 70+k miles, I'm going to have to agree with Jeremy about it probably being the crank seal.

And if you've got oil leaking around the filter it can get blown all over the motor by wind while you're driving. (and since there are no pics of where you're talking about, it's hard to tell.)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually crank seal, and timing belt were just recently changed if i remember correctly, as part of the 60K service...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts