Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
01 Impreza 2.5rs Sedan
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well for some reason my stereo is receiving constant power to both the 12v constant and the 12v switched so i need to find a wire or accessory that comes on when the keys in the accessory position (First Key Turn)... Im drawing a blank here when i know it should be pretty simple...

Anyways can ya guys give me some ideas on where i can receive Accessory power?

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
4,588 Posts
well, the cigarette lighter, but I don't think that's enough juice. What about the original wiring for the stock stereo? Are you trying to go around that? You could wire directly to the fuse panel.

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Run a wire straight from the battery, like you would for a sound system, but make sure you put a fuse on it. Or tap into the fuse panel.
But then you still have constant power, regardless of key position. I read it as though the OP doesn't want to get power unless the key is in the accessory/on position.

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,970 Posts
well, the cigarette lighter, but I don't think that's enough juice. What about the original wiring for the stock stereo? Are you trying to go around that? You could wire directly to the fuse panel.
This is a good idea. What are you installing? Depending on the answer would make this a bad idea. I know the lighter is good for 10amp. If it wasnt you would melt wires by installing a 120watt AC inverter in there and I have one plugged in.

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Ok well for some reason my stereo is receiving constant power to both the 12v constant and the 12v switched so i need to find a wire or accessory that comes on when the keys in the accessory position (First Key Turn)... Im drawing a blank here when i know it should be pretty simple...

Anyways can ya guys give me some ideas on where i can receive Accessory power?
Backing the bus up, the first key position after "off" isn't the accessory position. Your clock comes on, and little else. The second position, the accessory position, is the one in which your radio works, your windows work, your headlights work, etc etc. This is the position the key sits in after the vehicle is fired up.

I think some clarification is needed here. What the OP is saying is that the radio works even when the vehicle is off, and that he wants this to change so that it only function when the key is in the accessory position, not the key position before it (i forget the name). If the radio works any time the battery is wired up, then someone did some wire modifications to the original radio harness and the best thing to do is probably to fix that.

· Registered
01 Impreza 2.5rs Sedan
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Backing the bus up, the first key position after "off" isn't the accessory position. Your clock comes on, and little else. The second position, the accessory position, is the one in which your radio works, your windows work, your headlights work, etc etc. This is the position the key sits in after the vehicle is fired up.

I think some clarification is needed here. What the OP is saying is that the radio works even when the vehicle is off, and that he wants this to change so that it only function when the key is in the accessory position, not the key position before it (i forget the name). If the radio works any time the battery is wired up, then someone did some wire modifications to the original radio harness and the best thing to do is probably to fix that.
Yea i know that the 2nd is the ACC...althought your ride may be different than mine but the 1st position seems to do nothing for me then 2nd seems to be the same as 1st...then finally 3rd which if the final position is where the clock comes on and windows work and the dash lights come on...

Also i assume there has been modification to the OE wiring but i follow it back and as far as i can go its still wrapped with Factory Electrical Tape and whatnot...

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Well, if the clock doesn't work in the position before accessory, nor do any lights or anything, then either the car wasn't designed to function like that or something is screwed up, I agree about that. Either way, here's the point where my wiring knowledge ends. This is really one of those "I'd have to be there to figure it out" type situations. Does nothing come in the ACC position, then? That's weird that nothing comes on until the 3rd position, right before you crank the starter. That's the ACC position, but no clock or anything before that?

Just out of curiosity, why not leave your radio so it functions when the car is off?

· Registered
01 Impreza 2.5rs Sedan
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont think theres anything before the 3rd position...tested with a "Fluke DVOM" and a test light...

And i dont wanna leave it that way because i dont like having to turn off the radio manually after the cars off and i worry one day me or someones just gonna forget and drain the battery...also of course id like to return the car as close to stock as i can before i modify it so there are no surprises along the road...
Its Hard for me to trust someone elses work...

· Registered
4,588 Posts
On my car there's off, position 1 (clock turns on), ACC (everything works), and the start position (the key returns to the ACC position after the car fires up).

Good point, though. So how far back have you managed to trace the power wiring to the radio? It sounds like someone might have just snipped it somewhere and run it directly to the battery.

· Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
702 Posts
the position right before starter is ON (everything). the position before ON should be just accessories (just radio,a/c-heater,and cigarette lighter). least thats how it is on my car and most other cars i've had. then for off on my car i have to push in the key and put it into lock/off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.