Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As some of you know, I raced on 225 50-16 Hoosiers, which are actually a 232 width tire. I ran on MY99 stock rims and even with 5 mm spacers in the front, I had some rubbing issue once the wheel got near full lock. This year I am planning on running on 225 Ecsta V700s instead of the Hoosiers because they are slightly narrower.

I am thinking a little farther down the road when I head to topeka in a year or so. A 225 width is not going to give me the grip to compete in Street Mod. How wide is it possible to go, without cutting the fenders, on a GC8?

I am contemplating getting something with a 42-25 offset in 17x7.5, or 40-42 offset in 17x8 and trying a set of 235 40-17s. I will be running right at 3 degrees of negative camber in the front. Does anyone have any thoughts about this idea? Do you think it will work?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Where are you getting the -3* of camber? If you have camber plates, then I would straighten the lower strut and knuckle and make your camber adjustment up top. That should help with the rubbing issues.

We rub at full lock also with the big Hoosiers. So we don't turn to full lock.... but we only run (ran) spacers on the rear.

As for max width, if you went with some creative suspension setups, you could run a 15 or 16 with a width of 8 or 9 (or wider)without cutting fenders if you keep it stiff enough to not hit.

Naturally, you'd want a higher redline to take advantage of the smaller, wider wheels. The accelleration and braking gains are "pretty nice"! It really boils down to what you're willing to put up with in order to get the big meaties under it!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Uhhh...Templar did you realize you were logged into E-beth's account when you posted this? :lol:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes Shane, I saw that I posted that logged in as E-Beth, but it was too late.

Storm,

I am running camber plates front and rear. I will also be putting in some camber bolts for the rears to fine tune that.

The car is really starting to take shape now. The blower is almost done and should be running full time once I get the new model from Denmark. I just ordered a set of JIC FLT-A2 race spec coilovers. Lightweight front and rear bumper beams are going in the car soon. Race seats are going in. I will start the season running on BFG R1 205/50-17 tires, but once those wear out I am going to go with Ecsta V700 in either 225/45-17, or 235/40-17, depending on if I can make the 235 fit.

Does anyone happen to know how much shoe-horning it would take to get a 235-40-17 onto a 7.5 inch rim???

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Personally, I would skip the rear crashbolts if you have camber plates back there already. Unless you're going to try and gain strut clearance by adding positive camber with the bolts and then pulling the whole thing in with the plates. I'm not sure what that would do to your effective springrates and damping curves though. There is a formula for percentage of efficiency at a given angle.

For your tire sizes, You might find you're still too skinny. Unless you drop alot of weight, the sizes you list will be working pretty hard with your expected HP levels. I would go 235 at the least. 245's would give you plenty of acerage to put the power down.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was planning on using the bolts in the rear to give me a little spring clearance on the coilovers. Plus it will be easier to fine tune camber evenly if I can set both the top mounts at the same setting, let my alignment shop use the bolts to set each side even; then I can use the marks on the top mounts and set each side evenly to the desired amount of negative camber. Don't worry though. I will only be putting a very mild amount in with the bolts, just enough to clear the springs and get both sides the same. I will be using the top for the mass adjustments.

I will be taking a lot of weight out of the car. By the beginning of this season it should weigh somewhere in the low 2600 lb range. By the time I am putting the serious power down, I hope to be around 2550.

I have been toying with the idea of how to get 245 or larger under the car. Unfortunately it always comes down to big bucks. Cutting the fenders, adding flares, and getting the whole thing painted. I toyed with the idea of a 22b kit, but came to realize that by the time it was all said and done, I would be spending 10k on just the bodywork, paint and wheels. Still a possibility in the future I guess, but right now...eek.

Thanks for all the help Jay. I will keep you posted if I figure out a way to shoehorn some big rubber under there.

Kent

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
No problem. My consutling fee will be one (1) S/C kit.:biggest:

Actually.....I think if you went with a 16x8" wheel (or wider)and didn't lower the car too low while using appropriately stiff springs, you could get away with 245's and not roll or flare the fenders.

As long as you know that the springs will have to limit travel to keep from rubbing too much.

·
Registered
2000 GC8 - Flared/Caged/Turbo'
75 Posts
$10k's a bit high for the flare mod. Largest headache is finding a 9" wide rim in a 5x100 bolt pattern with the required offset of +30-35.

If you still can't be swayed, shoot for an 8" wide rim. Run some decently stiff springs, and only lower the car as much as you can without rubbing. Measure between the strut and the inner fender to determine max tire sectional width.

Fitz
www.Flat4Racing.com

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
We have successfully (and inadvertantly) ran 245/45/16's on the back of our car with no noticable rubbing. This with Hart CP-035's in an offset that isn't stock (or optimal if you swear by the internet authority...). That's what happens when your co-driver doesn't read the sidewalls when he changes wheels....:rolleyes:

I test fit a 275/45/17 under the car....it won't go. There are a couple 275/45/16 and a 275/50/15 that look like they may work. Too bad nobody will sell a 16x8 or 9 or 10" wheel without being priced totally out of our range.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
UPDATE

We just picked up a set of Revolutions in the size of 16x9" greatness!!!!! The backspace is 6", which should be about 42mm in offset terms. The price we got them for would make y'all cry....Gotta love Ebay and vague descriptions...... :biggest:

We'll put the 245/45/16 Victoracers on and try them out. I'll post what is needed to make them work.

Here's a teaser.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Here's another teaser. Sorry Jay but they are too sexy not too share them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Holy Hotness.

On stock suspension, whats the widest I could get away with? I'm going to stick in G-stock so...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i drove a decent DSP civic this past weekend and it had way less body roll. get with the program :p mmmm, 800lb/in rear springs :drool:

anyway, in GS, you'll want 225s. some people have run 245s in the front. bad for the center diff, but they swear by it. *shrug* i'm pretty happy with 225s all around.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ok, well I can't afford an extra set of rims and r-compounds. But I have to get off these stock tires.

Azenis only makes a 215/45/16?, and im not sure what size the MX's come in. what are my other options?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
10th Warrior said:
i drove a decent DSP civic this past weekend and it had way less body roll. get with the program :p mmmm, 800lb/in rear springs :drool:

anyway, in GS, you'll want 225s. some people have run 245s in the front. bad for the center diff, but they swear by it. *shrug* i'm pretty happy with 225s all around.
You're only drooling cuz you don't have any teeth to hold the spit in after running over that pecil. :p We got enough spring under the car. We need bigger bars(front mostly). But until we do something with the rear diff (Quaife up front), we're unloading the inside rear now.....Plus, this is cornering in 3rd gear!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Ben.. said:
how come it doesn't have fog lights? thats cool that its #11
1: The lights/brackets are heavy.
2: 98's were available without the lights, making the vents a legal way to get cold air into the fender.
3: It's different.....just like the rest of the car.

Being pre-production is cool, but it also has it's drawbacks...such as rear brakepads being hard to find, not matching fronts (by year). Also, it makes it alot harder to alter fender lines or structure because of it's uniqueness.

·
Registered
98 RS
27 Posts
I thought that on the RS the fog lights were std equipment. And since the RS is in a different class than the L that you can't count the options on those models??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts