Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 RS, 07 STi, 02 WRX, 04 WRX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in another thread I spoke about my 96 impreza not starting. Well today for some reason I thought "Hey I'll push start it and see what happens." So after rolling the car down the hill my driveway and releasing the clutch in second gear the car started for a split second. I towed the car back up the hill and for shits and giggles I figured I'd turn the key, when I did the car fired right up like there was no problem at all. This is confusing to say least because I've spent the last two weeks changing every part that could be linked to the car not starting. Plugs, Coil Pack, Ignitor, Crank Sensor etc. My question is why would it all of a sudden just decide to start working when it wouldn't start before? Is there loose wire somewhere? I have no idea..:confused:

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
so it starts up like normal now? can just go turn the key and it will fire up? maybe the fuel pump or a line was clogged with some crap?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah just like normal with no problems. Maybe something could've been in the fuel clogging it up but I don't know why a push start would fix that.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
fronzen water in gas tank/fuel lines - can try any number of solutions in a bottle...dry gas, etc

bad clutch safety switch on pedal

bad ignition cylinder where the key goes

bad ground(s) in and around starter

recheck the cam/crank sensors are fully plugged in and, that the engine side of the harness is in good shape

or a combination thereof

·
Registered
99 RS 2.5 Blue, 95 L
446 Posts
That story reminds me of starting up a Model T. If you are on the right part of the stroke it'll fire right up...otherwise get to cranking.

Good advice above me. I know who I'll be asking about troubleshooting in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We haven't had a freeze here in TN, and I changed the ground wires out. Its probably the clutch safety switch, I can't believe I didn't think about that before. I appreciate the help guys.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
I have the same problem right now but I finally think I solved it. Due to a bad radiator cap my car was shooting out antifreeze which slid down to the back of the block to the starter making it not start. After a rolling start it would work fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got around to checking my clutch sensor and sure enough the thing was loose. I plugged it back in all the way now I'm good to go.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
That's awesome. I had a fuel pump go out on me. It would not prime, then hit the assembly with a hammer and it would work. I replaced it and the car would not start even though the fuel pump was priming. Turned out to be the clutch safety switch. I just bypassed it with a piece of wire until I could get a new one.

Long story but props to Z1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts