Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to: A Scoobie Named Sue

This journal started out when I was still driving "Sue", my Silver 2005 Impreza 2.5RS (automatic)... However, I was already on the lookout for a new car.

I'm now driving a Newport Blue 2007 Impreza 2.5i Wagon (manual). This is how she currently sits...

Mods:
- Enkei Imola Satin Black mags 17x7.5 (summers)
- 04 WRX OEM wheels dipped Vintage Gold (winters)
- 05 STI OEM Axleback exhaust
- Kenwood KDC-448U Radio

Table of Contents:

Post #6: Story of my wheels
Post #13: Hawkeye Prospect #1: First Encounter
Post #17: Hawkeye Prospect #2: This might be the one!
Post #23: The new car!
Post #29: Installed STI axleback, mounted summers and received HIDs + flashers
Post #30: Received the rest of my bulbs
Post #35: 4 YEAR UPDATE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST

Hey everyone! I'm Sergio and I'm a proud Canadian from Montreal (yes yes, the land of maple syrup, hockey players, and people that say sorry even when they have done absolutely nothing wrong)... But you gotta love us, right! :) I'm really excited to get this journal started so here we go!!:rotflmao:

So I'm currently 18 years old (pushing 19 actually) and right now I'm driving a 2005 Impreza 2.5RS and her name is Sue - creativity level: mediocre. She has been my faithful companion since August 2012 (1 and a half years and counting), when my brother generously passed down the torch... Gotta love having a big brother :lol:

Summer set up:

Winter set up:

Here's a very quick list of what I've done to her so far... (warning you now, nothing special lol)
- Fog lights (brother)
- WRX wing (brother)
- 17x7.5 Enkei Imola Satin Black wheels for the summer
- Gold Plasti-Dipped Stock wheels for the winter
- Rally Armour Universal Mud flaps (oh yea!)
- Red painted brake callipers (fancy, i know)

Although I absolutely adore my car because, obviously, it's a Subaru and it's a complete beast in the winter time, I haven't done much in terms of personalization to it because... dare I say it.... IT'S AUTOMATIC!! :( :blowingup

HOWEVER, don't panic, because I am in the midst of searching for a successor to Sue... specifically, a manual successor!! I'm leaning towards a 2.5i Hawkeye Wagon, but now it just comes down to finding the right one...

...stay tuned!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 2.5rs-pacifica blue pearl
425 Posts
Nice car man, I have an 04 and sadly mine is auto too :/ oh well its still plenty of fun in the snow. I just put mine in "2" and have no problem kicking the back end out! Can't wait to upgrade my rear sway bar as well.

Got any future plans for this ride or are you selling it to fund the Hawkeye wagon?

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha oh trust me, I know what you mean! Just got about 15cm of snow in Montreal so I pulled some nice drifts on my drive home from work lol :projectsti.com:

But yea, I'm really just looking for the right hawkeye wagon at this point, don't really want to put anymore money into this one until i've got a manual tranny under my right arm and a peddle for my left foot lol... the only sad part is that Sue is A1 man, beautiful condition and only 125000km (and she's an 05)! It's gonna be hard to find something that clean, that's for sure.

It's gonna be hard parting with her but life goes on I guess!

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 05 RS sedan too thats auto! but its awesome! LOW and SLOW ftw!!!
HAHA :) The only problem with the auto is that it's only 4 speeds! That mixed with the 2.5 engine makes it pretty thirsty for gas. I can only get like 400KM out a a tank if I'm lucky... I'n the winter, forget about it lol I'm lucky if I get 350km :(

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The story behind the wheels...

Here are the pictures from when I plasti-dipped the stock 16's in Vintage Gold :D ... I did them myself so I was quite proud (they actually came out really nice btw, not to brag or anything though lol)

For my Enkei's, I bought them in May 2013 after looking all over the internet for the perfect wheel style. Enkei is a good brand, relatively inexpensive but also known for their quality. However, I was informed that the wheels had been discontinued, therefore they were even more difficult to find.
Finally, I found a supplier near my house that still had a few sets in stock so I jumped on the opportunity. Ended up costing about 750$ for the mags and about 500$ for the tires (Dunlops actually... got a REALLY good deal... gotta love connections)

Ran them all summer and I loved the ride and look :D

Sadly, just before I was gonna swap my tires/mags for the winter, I scrapped my right front mag pretty bad, enough for it to need to get repainted :(

Since I need to get one of them repainted and I'm not sure if the powdercoater will be able to match the black perfectly, I'm planning on repainting all of the mags a different colour if I can get a good price for it... I'm thinking DARK GOLD or BRONZE :D

Pretty excited actually.... although it's more money spent for nothing lol...

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with having autos! They still kick butt! Nice ride man, enjoy and welcome to our forums!
Thanks a lot man! Yea I'm definitely gonna miss my car, and I'm sure I'll miss the auto when I'm stuck in traffic downtown, but overall I'm ready for the switch!

At one point actually, since my car is in really good condition (no rust, 125xxxkm on a 2005) i was considering a tranny swap, but sadly it's really not worth it cost wise :(

However, I'm excited for the new car... fresh start, new memories to be made! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good luck on the new car! Nice rims too. I plan on plastidipping my oem wheels gold too and thinking about picking up some rpf1's for summer too when my funds are a little better.

Just can't decide if I want the blue and gold scheme or go blue and black. The black rpf1s are almost a whole pound lighter according to tire rack. That could make a big difference I feel...

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck on the new car! Nice rims too. I plan on plastidipping my oem wheels gold too and thinking about picking up some rpf1's for summer too when my funds are a little better.

Just can't decide if I want the blue and gold scheme or go blue and black. The black rpf1s are almost a whole pound lighter according to tire rack. That could make a big difference I feel...
Thanks man! Unfortunately I didn't get to see the car last Friday, but hopefully tonight is the night!

I was also looking at RPF1's recently (I was thinking of selling my scrapped Imola's, cutting my losses, and buying RPF1's), but I decided i'm just gonna powdercoat mine a different color instead :p ...but I think once I keep my repainted wheels for a while, I'll save up for BBS LM's or something :naughty:

I'm a big fan of Blue and Gold, so that's just my opinion... but I've also seen people do their RPF1's with a 2 tone look which is kind of nice... http://shop.tfbdesigns.com/images/RPF1 Blue Lip(1).jpg

You could do like gold and black on the wheels or something, could be interesting...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks man! Unfortunately I didn't get to see the car last Friday, but hopefully tonight is the night!

I was also looking at RPF1's recently (I was thinking of selling my scrapped Imola's, cutting my losses, and buying RPF1's), but I decided i'm just gonna powdercoat mine a different color instead :p ...but I think once I keep my repainted wheels for a while, I'll save up for BBS LM's or something :naughty:

I'm a big fan of Blue and Gold, so that's just my opinion... but I've also seen people do their RPF1's with a 2 tone look which is kind of nice... http://shop.tfbdesigns.com/images/RPF1 Blue Lip(1).jpg

You could do like gold and black on the wheels or something, could be interesting...
Hopefully you get to see it!

I like blue and gold too but that lb saving on each wheel is tempting! Lol I don't want to hijack your thread talking about my car tho...

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prospect #1: She needs some work

Okay, so I FINALLY got to see the 2007 Hawkeye today that I've been checking out on the internet for the past few weeks... Sadly, not as positive as I was hoping for.

Once I got the car thoroughly inspected, the car has various issues...

Important Issues:
- Leaky head gasket (needs to get replaced) :(
- Trunk handle is broken

Minor Issues:
- Brake disks need replacing soon (all 4)
- Dented all over
- Stone chips turning into rust on the hood (just above the windshield)

Front view (notice the major scrape on the hood near the front grille... probably hit a trailer hitch or something)... at least there's fog lights though!

Rear view (that tow hitch is the first thing to go...)

The busted trunk handle

The stone chips/rust spots

The car also comes with a set of stock mags on finished summer tires (no worries, would be putting my Enkeis and tires on anyways), and also some of the car has been repainted (pretty sure it's the left rear door and quarter panel)... Plus it needs a buffing and wax BIG TIME.

The car has 142xxxKM and the guy is asking for 6500$. With the whole head gasket issue (plus the minor ones), I think $6500 is too expensive. However, I'm going to try and negotiate him down to $5000-$5500 and see if he'll bit.

If not... sadly, she won't be the one.... STAY TUNED! :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah man I wouldn't pay 6500 if I knew I had to do the HG unless it looked like it was the very beginning of the leak and it was still real slow but even then idk.

I payed 3000 for my car plus 150 for new tires from the same guy, with the leaky HG and I didn't know about it! Just my 2 cents...

I'd say keep looking unless you can bring him down to like 45

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah man I wouldn't pay 6500 if I knew I had to do the HG unless it looked like it was the very beginning of the leak and it was still real slow but even then idk.

I payed 3000 for my car plus 150 for new tires from the same guy, with the leaky HG and I didn't know about it! Just my 2 cents...

I'd say keep looking unless you can bring him down to like 45
Yea true. But to be honest, I'm finding it hard to come by Hawkeye wagons in the greater Montreal area. All the clean ones are automatic lol

Also, this one is pretty loaded. It has fog lights, run roof, heated seats (so so so down) and it comes with mags...

But yea, I see where you're coming from, $6500 is definitely a no go... but I would do $5000 (maybe $5500) because I'm pretty sure I can get a good price for the HG job. I've been trying to contact the guy to see.... STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah 5 isn't too bad and I keep forgetting its newer than mine. And yeah mine didn't have fog lights or anything.

Good luck man! Hope you end up with something nice!

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hawkeye Prospect #2: I think this is the one!

So after much more digging on the internet, I found a listing for a 2007 Impreza 2.5i Wagon that was at a Subaru used car dealership about 1 hour from my house. I went to check out the car today (well yesterday actually, i should be in bed right now :p ) and.... this may very well be the one!!!

Quick specs:
2007 Impreza 2.5i Wagon
124xxxKM
Winter tires and mags as shown (no summer tires)
Cargo cover
**Everything else is pretty much normal, no options really... BUT WHO CARES, THE CAR IS SUPER CLEAN!!

The deal was that I got to drive her back to a dealership near my house that I trust and do business with, they get to inspect it, and if I get the green light then the car is all mine!

The car is SUPER clean, not one scratch on the damn thing, and it drives very well. I drove for about an hour and a half, going between highway cruising, bumper to bumper traffic, and everything else in between... She was a beaut!

The only thing i did notice was a slight whining coming from the front of the car, very faint sounds but it seemed to get louder the faster I went. It was hard to tell if I was imagining it or not because of all of the road noise that you hear in the car anyways, but tomorrow's inspection should tell me if it's something or not.

The car was inspected at the dealer I picked it up from and they reported that the car is A1, so I'm not expecting my people's inspection to find anything bad... however, you can't be too careful :p

Here's a couple more pictures for your enjoyment!

AHHHHH... finally a 3rd pedal to complete my life :)

And that 5 speed to add the cherry on top!

I should get the news by tomorrow, and if all is good, plate is getting swapped and she's as good as sold!

Ohh, and my putting my gold winter mags on her before I sell Sue....

STAY TUNED!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Awesome man! I'm happy for ya. Im gonna take a wild guess and say that noise is a wheel bearing but I could be wrong.

I could use a third pedal in my life too

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome man! I'm happy for ya. Im gonna take a wild guess and say that noise is a wheel bearing but I could be wrong.

I could use a third pedal in my life too

Haven't heard from the dealer yet but you might be right about the bearing, someone else was telling me the same thing. I hope it is quite frankly, because then it means it's not my engine lol!

But yea... I'm REALLY happy... just waiting on the call to let me know that everything is A1 :)

Ohh, and the price for the 07 is $8500 which is perfect in my opinion, because I should be selling Sue for about $8000 (i have someone interested already!)

STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Right on man. I've been entertaining the idea of selling my car and picking up something new but idk the selection of subies around me kinda sucks...

Good luck man!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts