Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe not functional in the traditional sense. Basically it started with me thinking about a good way to get more light output out of my car. I wanted driving lights, but didn't want a light bar and didn't want to have them so low that they didn't do much good. I had been thinking about putting something behind the grill for a while, and then one day it dawned on me to throw some small lights in the hoodscoop. I couldn't find much information on anyone doing it before, so yesterday when I was at Advance Auto parts getting new headlight bulbs, I decided to drop the extra 20 bucks for a cheap set of lights to try it. Here's how it came out:

Light output isn't that great, which I attribute mostly to the crap lights. They are plenty bright, but there is absolutely no focus, so it doesn't illuminate anyplace all that well. The biggest gain seems to be off to the sides where normal lights don't really shine. Could be nice for spotting deer and things, which is my main concern. I don't have any night shots at the moment, they aren't anything to brag about, though I'll take some if anyone really cares. The point was more of to see if it would work.

I'm thinking about throwing a little tint spray on them to make them blend in a bit better, but we'll see. Might just get rid of them, as I don't really trust the current wiring and I haven't decided if I like them really. We'll see.

Comments are welcome!

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that works too, how well does it throw light? That actually looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
what lights are those???? i've wanted to put a set behind the grill for the longest time, but i'm not sure about fitment.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
The problem with that setup is the light illuminating your hood and costing you depth of vision.

You need to put blinders on the bottom of the lights so that they don't shine on any part of your hood and light it up.

They would be much better in your front grille.

-- Dave

·
Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
3,752 Posts
what lights are those???? i've wanted to put a set behind the grill for the longest time, but i'm not sure about fitment.
They are KC driving lights I use to have on my Jeep.

gotta be careful..the heat might melt your grill..
They dont get that hot. I have metal mesh on my grill instead of the plastic but they still dont put out that much heat because the metal grill doesnt even heat up. I have had mine on for about half a year

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
acquacow said:
The problem with that setup is the light illuminating your hood and costing you depth of vision.

You need to put blinders on the bottom of the lights so that they don't shine on any part of your hood and light it up.

-- Dave
I was a little worried about this at first, but I actually don't really see light on the hood. All the light on the hood is pretty well hidden by the scoop and slant of the hood. Blinders might not be a bad idea, though.

They are just some random cheap light I found. Honestly, if you're considering this, get something else. I was thinking about trying it with the Optilux (made by hella) 1500, I think. Haven't see those, but I'm pretty sure they'd fit well and have better output. If I decide to keep this kind of setup, I might try those.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts

-- Dave
Technically you put the blinders on the TOP of the lights, as the lense reflects the light from the top down.

But yes, lighting up your hood sucks. I used to have a 4x4 and had lights on the roof, and got rid of them because I couldn't see 5 feet past the hood.

Put 'em in the grille somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts