Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 aspen white 2.5 rs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my Grimmspeed group a IM spacer / TB spacer in the mail Friday, so let the bloody knuckles begin. Right now I'm still in the install process , and I've taken some pics as well. I'll have more later on.

These two pics are of the Grimmspeed throttle cable bracket that bolts to the oem one. This will place the oem bracket back farther to compensate for the TB spacer.

Pics of the injectors with new o rings. I removed both fuel rails so it was a good idea to replace the o rings since they were out.

A few shots of the IM spacers in their location. I will have another set of IM gaskets on top of the Grimmspeed spacers before I reinstall the manifold.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
602 Posts
heck, while you have all that apart you might as well do the fuel rail mod on northursalia, too

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i did the same thing last year. might as well P&P the IM/TB while its out ;) well thats what i did

your gonna have to stretch some of the wires on the TB, the vac lines too if u have the stock intake.

and do the TB coolant bypass too

updates?

·
Registered
63 Posts
help me out here guys. what is the point of the spacers? is it throttle response or hp/tq that this helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
the spacers at the head cut down on heat xfur to the manifold TB spacer is magic i have heard lots of exsplenations for it

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
help me out here guys. what is the point of the spacers? is it throttle response or hp/tq that this helps.

Thanks
well the IM gets hot from sitting on the engine. so the IM spacers helps the IM from getting hot, thus a cooler intake charge, and the cooler the air, the more power. the TB spacer it more for air volume/plenum so the air is THERE when the engine needs it.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
the TB spacer also adds to the air volume in the intake, basically expands the plenum thus giving you longer runners and more power.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
i did the same thing last year. might as well P&P the IM/TB while its out ;) well thats what i did

your gonna have to stretch some of the wires on the TB, the vac lines too if u have the stock intake.

and do the TB coolant bypass too

updates?
Tnice17,

I also have the TBS and IM/TB. My mechanic told me not to do the TB coolany bypass, as it may wrongly adjust the fuel mix. Have you had any issues since you made the mod.

·
Registered
1999, OBS, Green, EJ22
291 Posts
OK--I have this kit on my wishlist and had planned on buying it within the next few months. (After re-wiring an engine in a different Subaru, I learned that taking off the IM is not that big of a deal.) From those who have installed it and driven with it--can you tell a difference? I especially want more low-end from my OBS, so is this a good move for that?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Tnice17,

I also have the TBS and IM/TB. My mechanic told me not to do the TB coolany bypass, as it may wrongly adjust the fuel mix. Have you had any issues since you made the mod.
haha i havent had ANY issues.

i had IM/TB spaces, TB coolant bypass, P&P TB and IM.

no issues.

·
Registered
Black '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
387 Posts
Why did you completley take the manifold off? I just unbolted mine and it lifted out of the way enough to put the new gaskets in. Just curious.

·
Registered
1999, OBS, Green, EJ22
291 Posts
How long did it take to remove the IM?
I would assume you don't have to actually remove the IM, only remove the bolts and lift it up enough to put the spacers under the runners. I think the OP completely removed his to take it to a machine shop to have it ported/polished to improve the air flow somewhat--squeezing any HP potential he can, which is a smart thing to do if you have the extra cash and can handle having your car torn down for a little bit. However the actual removal of the EJ's IM is not much of an effort at all. I pulled the IMs off a '00 EJ22 and a '99 EJ25 recently to swap out engine wiring harnesses and the IM removal was a snap--much easier/quicker than I anticipated.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,165 Posts
so for all who have both spacers with or without p&p IM and TB, is the juice worth the squeeze? should i do this before i get a light tune. i'm just looking to get a mild i-speed reflash or something along those lines, with injen intake, track pipe, cat back etc..

·
Registered
2000 aspen white 2.5 rs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry guys haven't been on for a while to answer your questions. Ok, one question people are asking is why I took off the IM. I only wanted to do this once, so removing it was the logical idea for me. Cleaned any oil residue out of it and hit it with some aluminum brightener. But most importantly I wanted to make sure both mounting surfaces were clean of any foreign material so there would be no potential for an air leak. Time, allot longer than just unbolting it and lifting it up, about a day and a half, and that's disconnecting electrical and fuel lines, removing fuel rails and replacing all the injectors lower orings. Stripping the IM for cleaning and cleaning the blocks mounting surface, and some other stuff before putting it all back together.

Performance, you will know and feel the difference. It's not one of those mods where you don't actually know if it did anything or is it just in your head. Low end torque picks up quite a bit, you feel it. I love it, a great mod especially if you have an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
1999, OBS, Green, EJ22
291 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've got this on my to-buy/to-do list in a couple weeks. It's good to know it makes an honest difference.

I haven't decided what I want to do about exhaust yet, but I won't have the cash for any of that until after Christmas, so I got time to figure it out. I'm glad there are some guys here serious about squeezing more oomph out of their N/A Subes. I get tired of people saying "Um, buy a WRX" as an answer to the better N/A quest.

·
Registered
2000, 2.5RS, STM
163 Posts
It's not one of those mods where you don't actually know if it did anything or is it just in your head. Low end torque picks up quite a bit, you feel it. I love it, a great mod especially if you have an aftermarket intake.
Hey man this sounds really interesting. I am little worried I might run into interference between my SRI (GravelSports) and hood.

Can you tell me (as exactly as possible) how much this raised the TB/Intake assembly, and how far back it pushed it?

This sounds great but I have very little clearance between my hood scoop/mount screws and my intake.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts