Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I know what you have to do to make Hoosier 225/50-16 R compounds fit on a GC8, I decided to take some measurements of them. To get these tires to fit on a GC8 with no rubbing you have to remove the front top fender liner, remove the rear rubber trim piece that goes around the fender well, roll the inner edge of all four wheel wells, get a 1/4 inch 5x100 spacer for the rears and a set of longer wheel studs for the rear. That was the hard part. But back to the subject matter.

Total width on 7 inch rim (which is the rim size Hoosier recommends)
247.6 mm

Tread width mounted
231.7 mm

Sidewall height to rimlip
87.3 mm

Total Tire height
622.3 mm

Total Rim height 16 inches =406.4 mm
622.3-406.4=215.9
215.9/2 = 107.95 mm sidewall height

So going from this, since I have determined that a Hoosier 225/50-16 A3S03 race tire is actually a little closer to
a 232/46-16. SO rounding the numbers to the closest standard size it is closer to a 235/45-16 than it is to its labeled size.

Yes, these are the things I do and I think about when I am bored.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I was just looking at them in my book. How much are they running price-wise...if I may ask?

We're running 225-45-15's now at $175ea.

Other sizes I looked at were:
215-40-16 (shorter than the 15's!)
225-50-16 (fit as you describe)
245-45-16 (negligably shorter but a lot wider)

Running on a car with alot of camber, not so low with room to go up or down, and rolled fenders already. Front fender liners are still in place but can be removed/altered with no problem. Oh, and 7" wheels both 15 and 16 available (17x7" too). I have the spacers if needed but don't use them as of yet.

Whatta ya think about those 245-45-16's?:eek:

Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the 225/50-16 Hoosiers Non-Heat cycled are running $176 each at tire rack and $196 each heat cycled. :eek:

I would doubt that you would have room for the 245s to fit under the front. Once you turn the wheel to anywhere near full lock you are going to rub like crazy up inside the fender well. Also, you are probably going to need a 15mm spacer instead of the 1/4 inch that I have for the rear. Judging from Hoosiers specs that states that the cross section of the 225 is 9.3 inches, but I know for a fact (just measured it again to be sure) that it is 9.75 (actually, 9.748) inches. If they use the same measurement system on the 245, and their specs say that it is 10 inches, then that sucker is going to be really W I D E I would say that on a GC8 (or GM6, or GC6, or whatever the politically correct term for it currently is) that the Hoosier 225 50 -16 is going to be as wide as you are going to be able to reasonably fit.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
We're picking up the 225-50-16's tonight and will have them mounted by the weekend. We'll run them at a test&tune in Toledo before wrapping them back up for Topeka.

Thanks for the spacer info. What studs did you go with? I assume Summit would have something suitable?

Can we cut out portions of the front fender liner up top? How much has to come out? Depending on my interpretations of SP rules, we might have to let the liner wear away (with a little help from Mr. Dremel).

How about some pics with the wheels/tires on the car? We all know not too many cars look as grizzly with wide rubber on them than a prepped Impreza!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts