Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am driving to Santa Barabra on Friday morning to visit the girlfriend. I get to that long streach of the 101 between Ventura and Santa Barabra and this beat up ricer Civic pulls up next to me rev's then sprints ahead. This thing was tore up mismatched body, front bumper sagging and getting ready to fall off, it looked like he had one of those light up afterburner exhaust tip's on to. I was doing about 90 and he was strugling to keep up. Well I figure I would have some fun with him, so I pull up pop the blow off valve, rev up, and accelerate to about 110 - he is gone. Well about 2 miles later here he comes riding hard up behind me. He pulls up - rev's hard and white smoke goes billowing out his exhaust. I see him in the rear view mirrior pulling over to the shoulder and white smoke every where. He must have over reved and floated a valve into a piston. I laughed out loud for a good 2 min. I guess I could have gone back to see if he needed help, but *shit*, I ain't like that.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Now thats funny. I love it when there is about 5 of us coming back from a rally-x or something, and we have a honda try to rev on us. We tend to enjoy to box them in, let him get a good look as us, then just leave em standing still as the group of us step up to around 120. Then slow down, let em catch up and see the look on there face. Usually they won't even have the nerve to look over.

:boxer:

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
now that story is just god damn FUNNY!!! :lol:

jz

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I went to Button Willow for an auto cross this weekend and some *** in a Civic did this to me. I was only going like 75, nursing a vicious hangover, and this loser came up next to me at like 90 pulled it out of gear as he want by, threw me a rev, and took off. I wasn’t going to even sweat it but he slowed down and got next to me again and I noticed his girl friend was laughing. I’ll be damned if I am going to let some 17 year old use me as an excuse to make his chick laugh. I let them go about a mile and a half ahead I down shifted and floored it, went into 5th at around 105mph and flew by them at over 120. He saw me coming and tried to get it up before I got to him but he had no chance. I just honked and cursed by. At the auto-x he asked me if I had done anything to my turbo. I just looked at him and said “What turbo dude? That there is an RS”.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
FRAKK's2.5 said:
So how was the Auto-X?[/SIZE]
Really fun. The track was fast as hell. My friend and I want on our own a little rally drive afer. This chick that workes at the track told us about a dirt road her and her boy friend go down to get it on. It turned out to be kind of short but that was cool because we got to know it and went back and forth faster each time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i think i will be going to buttonwillow in november. this group called speed ventures organizes it and i went a few weeks ago, and it was awesome. i didn't drive, i just rode along in my friends wrx wagon, but now i want to get out on the track and see how good i can do. it only costs $150 and you get about 2.5 hours of racing on the big track going clockwise, which is a good deal.

ok..i know what you guys are thinking. "i just have a slow rs and there is no way i can drive on that big track with a bunch of real cars". yes, yes, i know, but it's still fun! because most of the challenge is not just going fast, but cornering and knowing what lines to take. subarus do very well on that track because of their AWD. it is amazing to see mustangs and vipers spin off the track consistently, and the subarus stay right on the track. and the higher HP doesn't help those cars because by the time the exit a turn and get up to speed, miatas and civics have already passed them and they are stuck until the next straight, where they will pass, but then get passed again at the next turn.

so think about coming down. i will have new tires and brakes and it will be a good time for me to test them out. i also am just in the final stages of finishing my automatic IC water spray system for my STi intercooler. but that's another story.

the site might be down. if so, try it later:
http://www.speedventures.net/

is anyone interested?

p.s. go halos.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
eric m. said:
then get passed again at the next turn.
Last I heard, which was on Sunday, yeah yesterday, at Button Willow, if you pass in a turn you get kicked off for the day. I was talking about the track with a CSCC safety steward who has been racing there for the past 6 years. Maybe he was wrong though. :rolleyes:

I guess if your car was SCCA approved any you were licensed you could call it a race event instead of a track day and pass your heart out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
you are right, you cannot pass except on 2 straight areas during practice days. i am not ready for SCCA events, especially since my car has little things like a sway bar that would put me into much too difficult of a class to compete in. i might do it for fun, though.

i guess i worded that wrong. the slower cars can't really pass the fast cars because once they get to a straight area they take off, then slow down in the corners. if you were to put the cars on the track and race against the clock, i would say that a subaru rs would do just as well as most cars out there, with a good driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts