Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Impreza 2dr, 04 Lancer EVO
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 97 Impreza Brighton for a year now. When I first had it everything was fine, no noises, smooth gear changes and zero grinds.

Until recently, 5th gear started to grind. Sometimes if I shift it in the 'right' spot it doesnt grind at all. This only happends in 5th gear, all the other gears from 1-4 are OK.

Now I noticed that when I go down a hill I can hear something wierd under my car. It sounds like a rock or a hammer was hitting my transmission/block constantly. This only happends once every often but not too often. So I decided to drain my front differential fluid and found two aluminum metal pieces about 1 inch long that came out of the front differential fluid! :stafiseiz

I refilled the front differential fluid with Supertech 80w-90 and 5th gear was grinding less than before but after a month of driving it started to become worse again like it did before. I read that Subaru WRX transmission tends to grind a lot but want to figure out how it started(So far I havent found anything besides the 'it is what it is').

==============================================

2) When depressing my clutch, I hear this strange sound. It only happends when I go 50% in with the clutch and it sounds like a rusty spring or a door that makes a creaky noise like the ones in the horror movies do. I tried to locate the source, lubed all the clutch wire components but its still making that noise. Can anyone help what it could be or any suggestions as to where I should be looking at?

Also, where are the transmission fluid located on the tranny? The only thing I could ever find was the front differential fluid. Not sure exactly what transmission this is since I bought it from the previous owner who swapped it with a "WRX" tranny. There is no code anywhere

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
I use Redline 58304 - 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil for my FRONT diff WRX tranny. Non-Slipped oil is thicker and designed for transmissions and transaxles - helps to slow synchros for easier shifting across a broad temperature range. This NS is very important to your tranny shifting. If you have heavy feel shifting, fluid is incorrect.

You got the front correct, drain bolt should be between exhaust Y pipe. The other is the rear diff axle.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Subaru Extra-S is the way to go in these transmissions.. you can also use it in the rear diff..

However anytime you find large chunks of metal there should be concern.. the thing is if it was gears they would be stuck to the drain plug..

So its potentially something to do with the case interior or some sort of shift guide? Being aluminium..

The clutch sound could be from the clutch fork pivot inside the bell housing..

Trans fill is on the pass side just behind the bell housing with a yellow dipstick plug in it..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
It should be mentioned that on the manuals the front diff and the gears share the same fluid, it's only the autos that have separate tranny and front diff fluid.

·
Registered
97 Impreza 2dr, 04 Lancer EVO
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just read that when performing a tranny swap you have to make sure that the rear differential Final drive matches the tranny. Would it be possible that the previous owner swapped the transmission into a WRX but left the rear differential stock, causing a premature wear causing 5th gear to start grinding???

What is the symptoms of not matching the final gears for the rear differential and the transmission?

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
I just read that when performing a tranny swap you have to make sure that the rear differential Final drive matches the tranny. Would it be possible that the previous owner swapped the transmission into a WRX but left the rear differential stock, causing a premature wear causing 5th gear to start grinding???

What is the symptoms of not matching the final gears for the rear differential and the transmission?
Mismatched final drives shouldn't cause one gear alone to go bad. It would, however, cause your center diff to darn near explode, trying to compensate between front and rear.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
It should be mentioned that on the manuals the front diff and the gears share the same fluid, it's only the autos that have separate tranny and front diff fluid.
Actually the autos have gear oil and auto trans fluid in them.. there's still a center diff in there..

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Actually the autos have gear oil and auto trans fluid in them.. there's still a center diff in there..

I mean...

Pretty sure the center diff is designed to use the ATF it's bathed in. It's a clutchpack type, is it not, just like the gearsets?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts