Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's common occurence with Subies, but my A/C won't stay cold all the time. A good 90% of the time it stays cold throughout the day. Sometimes it just goes warm on me while I'm driving. It comes and goes. I checked with our techs and all they know is to R-n-R anyway. Does it need a recharge? Help please.

E

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had problems w/ my Legacy Outback and they told me that the way to get the coldest air is to put the fan on "3", the cold knob all the way to the left, and put the air control on recirculate. My Legacy is burgundy, they said that the darker colors are harder to cool.

I think you're in Jersey, these days it's too hot to be out in the car anyway, but you have to expect it to drag just a little.

I have a 98 OBS, and setting it up like above it works just fine, it'll take a few minutes, but eventually it'll cool down just fine.

If that doesn't work, have somebody check the charge to see if you need another shot of coolant.

Good Luck, and I'll probably see you Sunday in Englishtown.

I'm attaching some fair pix of my OBS for now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I've actually noticed that behavior in many of my cars. I personally chalk it up to the system getting too hot (internally) and so it turns off for a minute to cool down, then kicks back in.

A/C is an amazing concept, compressing the gas, heating it, then expanding the gas which cools it. I can see that would happen. But I really have NO clue, I am just guessing. :D

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a guess it sounds pretty damn good. I think it would probably along those lines of it getting too hot and shutting to cool down. I don't seem to have the problem in the early morning or if it's raining outside since it's usually cooler. It happens more during these Tri State humidity waves we've been having lately. It did well this morning all the way to Englishtown, but acted up a bit on the ride back.
Good guess,... I think. :confused:

RS25.com said:
I've actually noticed that behavior in many of my cars. I personally chalk it up to the system getting too hot (internally) and so it turns off for a minute to cool down, then kicks back in.

A/C is an amazing concept, compressing the gas, heating it, then expanding the gas which cools it. I can see that would happen. But I really have NO clue, I am just guessing. :D

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JUDGE,

I think I saw your car in the show, was it you? I happen to breeze through close to the end of the day and glanced at Suby row. I spent most of the day chillin' by my cousin's car or handing out his business cards. Quite a WRX presence this year, I was surprised.

·
Registered
169 Posts
subyfanatic.

I couldn't make it I was out getting a set of tires for my daughters 99 Legacy SUS that we just got on Saturday. My son had the OBS (Black over gray). He had a shaved head.

He probably spent a lot of time with his buddy, who was over at SKR with their super prize winning Toyota Supra (bright yellow), dual superchargers, trunk is a sound system, and it goes like hell.

I heard it was a great day.

Maybe we'll get to meet one of these days, maybe Atco, if there is one this year.

Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had my car to the dealer. MY A/C doesn't seem to cut out or anything, it just doesn't seem cold to me. I have to leave the fan on high (3 or 4) to stay comfortable. I think the black car and the larger cabin have alot to do with it.

But, the dealer said nothing was wrong and the A/C blew 46 degree air. Everyone should check there and lets compare.

Also not, I have heard of Evaporator Coils freezing if you have the Hepa filter option. It prevents air flow across the filter and the condensate on the coil freezes, which would cause your A/C to feel warm, but you would also have less air coming out too.

Paul G.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't forget to have the air on recirculate. Other than that, the diagnosis was about the same for my wife's which is a Wineberry Outback Limited Wagon, with the two sunroofs.

Another suggestion, I got a remote starter on my 98 OBS, Even my son has figured that if you start it a few minutes before you get into it, it cools off (or heats up in the winter) before you get there, It's pleasant to have the car cool as you just break out in a sweat from getting to it.

Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I use the "recirc" option. (I design HVAC Systems for a living :) ).

I like the auto start idea, but I have a 5-speed, so I won't install one. Too risky..
What bugs me the most about my car, my windows are already tinted to 35% on all the doors, and I am still hot.

Paul G. :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
I took my tint to 9%, on my OBS, my wife's doesn't have any tint at all. Just occured to me that could be part of HER problem.

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would still having an R12 A/C system have anything to do with my temperature troubles?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess you mean that you use the old gas, and not the CGC free stuff.

It shouldn't make any difference. I've got one vehicle using the old system, 1 converted from old to new and 3 using the new. Unless you're leaking gas you shouldn't have a problem. If you need a recharge, that could be a problem.

It's also expensive as hell to get a recharge, the laws and taxes have really jumped on the old stuff, trying to get you to swap over to the new.

Swapping over to the new system cost about as much as getting a recharge on the old, it's basically replacing seals.

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jersey judge said:
I guess you mean that you use the old gas, and not the CGC free stuff.

It's also expensive as hell to get a recharge, the laws and taxes have really jumped on the old stuff, trying to get you to swap over to the new.

Swapping over to the new system cost about as much as getting a recharge on the old, it's basically replacing seals.

The cost to swap over is not a problem, I'm perfectly connected within Subaru and the Parts Dept. Would it really be worth it then considering the cost of a recharge on the old stuff?

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peaty said:
Just wondering, does it go warm after you hit WOT? All cars now have a gas and power saving feature that when you floor the gas pedal it turns off the A/C compressor until you ease up again.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2001/November/12.html
It actually get cold at WOT if it's been running warm. Only very few times has it done the opposite and gone warm on me no matter how high I rev.
Most people tell me to recharge the system. I am beginning to think that's what it needs. Thanks to everyone so far who's offered insight on this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
thought I sent this through before, guess not

the cost of the old gas is outrageous cuz they don't want you to use it. something like $45 a gallon/quart/pint, or whatever. The cost of a new dryer and new seals was a little more than the first refill, but less expensive than the first refill and the second refill. My van is an 86 with over 140,000 miles and has a very slight leak in the rear zone, so it was worth it to me. But my van took about 4 or 5 gallons or quarts, or whatever units it took.

The new gas doesn't seem to get as cold, but it is cold and it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore.

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts