Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
New wheels VS old wheels

MAXXIS Z4S 245/40/ZR18s on Drag DR-34 18x8s with 35 offset.
VS
205/55/R16s on the Stock RS 16x7s 53 offset.
The front wells are completely filled in, no need for anything bigger. I dont see how guys fit 10 inch wide rims under the fronts.

I built some fender liners for the front with some scrap interior plastic meant for airplanes. They lie completely flush once installed but with only the 18x8s up front I get rubbing in the tight turns. Not much the tires just brush the liners but I still hear it. So the guys running 9s or 10s must not have any fender liners at all. I will try trimming my liners to avoid the rubbing.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
This is after I completed the first coat on the doors that got messed up on the clear coat.
I took the car home to my garage after this and brought the doors back for repainting.

The suspension hasnt been set up and many of the parts are still missing in these pics. This was just so I could drive it home legally. It has been really warm here but it could get very cold soon so I wanted to get it home.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I was having the same trouble with the moonroof as the doors and I got sick of trying so I did a CF wrap on the roof. It turned out OK. I'll try this till next spring and see how I like it. I may take the pieces to a professional for finishing next year and get them done properly.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I insulated the doors with a thin foam/foil insulation made for pipe insulating. I have used Dynamat in the past (which is good for sound) this stuff I like working with way more. Its easy to mold into shape and sticks like glue. Its also way cheaper than dynamat and a way better Thermal insulator.

I took it for a drive last night after putting the door cards back on and the difference was amazing compared to the plastic air barrier I had in there before.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I was thinking of removing that bar, that picture made me think its good to have it in there.

Got the rims installed, the coilovers adjusted, the rear rally flaps installed, and the interior put back in!
Getting the fender liners put in and the doors adjusted to clear the new side skirts

Hooking up the heated seats.

Got the door jams painted this time. It makes a much more complete looking job.

Couldnt find the Titanium 22B STI emblem for the fenders, But the Aerosim Kit is a WRC based kit anyway so I thought these ebay emblems were cool.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
looking good man!!!!!!

where did you pick up the insulating stuff??? im looking for something to use in mine with the time comes... also what was the cost of something like that.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Heres the Pics of the car 99% completed.
Still have the Front rally flaps, the roof trim and some other odds and ends to install. Overall I'm really happy with the end result. It feerls like a new car.
The paint came out much better than the paint job I did last year. The body kit almost looks stock from some angles but looks so sweet from other angles. Without looking at all ricey. It was alot of work but I'm happy. Proof that almost anyone can install one of these kits with enough time and planning.

For the winter the car isnt going to change much. It almost feels like snow here today and the temps are close to freezing already. It may get a new engine and maybe some rear wheel spacers over the winter.

For next Spring I'm thinking about a matching 22B replica spoiler. Although the RS spoiler doesn't look too bad on there. I got ripped of once already for a replica spoiler so I'm in no hurry to spend again.
Maybe getting the rims coated in gold. I like the black wheels with pearl white, very modern look. But I like the look of the 22B goldies too.
Kinda torn on that one.

Enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
looking good man!!!!!!

where did you pick up the insulating stuff??? im looking for something to use in mine with the time comes... also what was the cost of something like that.
Any home improvement store should have it. It was like $20 bucks here so if youre in the States it will be even cheaper.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Enlighten me as to how one keeps minty fresh looking door jamb stickers? New stckers or just taped off the old ones?
This one was new after painting the door jams. If you read it closely you could see its a joke about Subarus and big smiles. On the other side I taped over the factory ID plate and Tire pressure sticker and cut around them with a razor blade to look sharp once the tape was peeled off.

Tip for painting: dont wait for the paint to dry before removing taped off areas, unless you're doing multiple coats. the tape will pull away some of the paint and ruin your edge. If you pull it off while the paint is still semi-wet you'll get a way nicer edge.

·
Registered
2014 WRX, 1996 Brighton Coupe
555 Posts
This one was new after painting the door jams. If you read it closely you could see its a joke about Subarus and big smiles. On the other side I taped over the factory ID plate and Tire pressure sticker and cut around them with a razor blade to look sharp once the tape was peeled off.

Tip for painting: dont wait for the paint to dry before removing taped off areas, unless you're doing multiple coats. the tape will pull away some of the paint and ruin your edge. If you pull it off while the paint is still semi-wet you'll get a way nicer edge.
Nice. Yea, I pull tape the same when I'm doing any regular around the house painting as well.

But that leads me to another queston, lol. How many coats of white paint did you use on this paint job? Clear? Any wet sanding and reclear in there?

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Nice. Yea, I pull tape the same when I'm doing any regular around the house painting as well.

But that leads me to another queston, lol. How many coats of white paint did you use on this paint job? Clear? Any wet sanding and reclear in there?
I did two coats of base white, two coats of metallic, then one coat of clear.
the only we sanding I did was on the base. On the doors which I had some trouble there is three coats of base white, and two coats of metallic,no clear. I ran out of time, patience, and paint lol. But I may clear them in the spring. The paint I used doesn't specifically require a clear coat but I like the extra protection for UV and road grit. The doors came out shinny enough so I'm not disappointed. There is a plane going in my work space right now So I had to get it out of there. In the spring I may spend some more time on the paint but right now I'm exhausted from the project. It was by far the most work I've ever done on a vehicle. Two months is what it took me and I spent more time in the shop than I spent at home or working. That said I dont regret it.
Happy to be driving it now!

161 - 180 of 1104 Posts