Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
The fender guards are dry and permantley bonded to the wheel wells so I did the quarter panels. This is a huge step in this process but it actually didnt take that long..

I used a ginder with a sanding wheel to prep the quarter panel surface of the car for the bonding process. After getting down to bare steel I cleaned it with compressed air and Acetone.

Then I prepped the inside of the new panels, sanded with a flapper wheel on my die grinder and cleaned with air and acetone again.

Mixed up a cup of epoxy and litteraly buttered the fiberglass panel and the cars quarter. This stuff is quite thin in viscosity like elmers white glue. The surface needs to be scuffed well and very clean or the bond wont be as strong as it needs to be. Many test bonds I did pulled apart with minimal effort until I started Suffing the surface of the steel. For that I used the edge of the 80 grit sanding disc on the angle grinder. It seemed to produce the roughest surface.
Forget smooth Steel!!!

Fit the panels to the car and held them in place with Clecos. This should make a very strong bond. But with the climate of northern Alberta I'm not convinced this bond will survive numerous winters or even a single trip to the car wash when its -35 Celcius so I'm going to use rivets as well. I'm paranoid the temperature changes at those low temps will make the two surfaces seperate. The areopoxy is supposed to maintain its bond to -50C but thats a small margin of error. Rivets should hold the panel on the car even if the bond lets go.

·
ProcratinatusMajorus
1991 Legacy SS
788 Posts
Great progress! I love that you're documenting all of this. Like I said before, I have wanted to do this to my car for a while now. It's great to see the process through all the steps.

HT-Autos has a nice step by step process for their kit on their website. But yours is better in that it's from the end-user stand point. Plus you're doing the play by play commentary of problems and solutions as well.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I was looking for a newer Impreza, never even thought about an older model or one in rough shape, till I came across this car. It was a traded in on a new Ford truck but the dealer just left it siting there with a bad head gasket and no owner. It would have been stripped for parts and crushed if I hadn't taken it. Good deal for both sides.

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
594 Posts
This car is looking great. Definitely nice to see a step by step on a widebody. None of the noobs really appreciate how much work goes into something like this. Keep up the good work and make sure to take lots of pictures! BTW, are you planning on DDing this in the winters up there??

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
This car is turning out fantastic. Let me know if you need new wheels.. Special on Enkie this week. :)
I'm looking for something that resembles the 22B 17 BBSs but with the bigger/deeper arches I wanna go 18x9 with a small enough offset to fill the fenders properly.

This is a budget build though the budget is getting bigger all the time. I dont want to pay $2000 for a set of rims, I'm happy with a set of knockoffs as long as they look right..

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Update, I picked up a cheap rivet gun and some stainless rivets. I ended up using Aluminum counter sink rivets.
IMG]http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/brandonross79/99%20Impreza/IMG_1682.jpg[/IMG]
Once the aeropoxy was cured overnight I came back and removed the clecos holding the panel on. Good sign they didnt fall off when I removed all the clecos. After that I drilled out the cleco holes and added a bunch more along the seams that attached to the body.

After that I drilled counter sink holes to hide the rivets once they are pulled. You have to be careful not to drill too far into the fiberglass with your countersink bit or it will go straight through to the steel and the rivet will be pointless.

Most of them lay pretty flush but there were a few that stuck up a little so some body filler will be used later.

Make sure your rivets are properly sized as well not too short or too long pull range. I estimated 1/4" and it worked pretty good for most of them. Thankfully my shop has a butload of different sized rivets for the holes that were shorter and the big ones I used along the sideskirts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
This car is looking great. Definitely nice to see a step by step on a widebody. None of the noobs really appreciate how much work goes into something like this. Keep up the good work and make sure to take lots of pictures! BTW, are you planning on DDing this in the winters up there??
Thanks, if this project has been anything its been work, almost enough for a full time job so I'm lucky to have so much free time.
I wanted a subaru as a winter driver because my Dakota is such a gas pig, even worse in the winter. I drove the impreza all last winter and it did great (except the oil burning issue) but my plans have changed a little. I'm buying an acreage in southern BC where the winters are way softer and the driveway is a subaru drivers wet dream, but I wont be out there for a couple years. So for this winter I'll be using my truck mostly but I do want this car to be able to fill that duty if needed. I've already got a summer only ride and winter is six long months here.

The road into my property

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Anyone seen any of these spoilers in person?
Subaru Impreza 93-01 Duraflex STI Look Wing Spoiler | eBay
I'm looking for a 22B replica but not even HTautos sells them on their website anymore. This one looks close although no light and its not adjustable : (

Ive read the 22B spoiler is 2-3 inches lower than a Ver5/6 spoiler I dont want a gragantuan wing on the back, I think Mikes on Great White is a little high. Not the car Im trying to copy but it just kind of turned out we were going in the same direction.
New pics of my project coming soon.

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,842 Posts
So you're saying I should take the job offer in Vancouver if I like driving great roads?

If you're looking for a smaller wing check out the RB5 and Prodrive P1 replica wings. They're not as big if I recall.

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
So you're saying I should take the job offer in Vancouver if I like driving great roads?

If you're looking for a smaller wing check out the RB5 and Prodrive P1 replica wings. They're not as big if I recall.

cheers

poorman
I don't know if you're a Canadian or not but I wouldn't take a job in Vancouver unless my salary trippled. Property is rediculous there, and as far as the roads the city is on flatter land than the interior and the roads are crowed with new Asian driver. Plus there's the earthquake that will one day decimate the city. Lol. I'd be happier staying in the frozen north country.

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,842 Posts
Well I currently live in Los Angeles so I'm used to paying way too much and constantly living with the threat of falling into the ocean. :)

I know you said "new Asian driver" but all I heard was hot asian chicks. ;)

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
With the quarter panels in place I need to attach the side skirts. I thought of some different ways to do this. Eariler I welded some angle brackets along under the doors so I could screw them on later. But after seeing how well the quarters bonded and riveted on I decided to use the same tecnique.

I used some aluminum strips and bent them up to match the steel brackets I already welded on.

I cut them to fit between the distance between brackets. Just likle the steel quarter panels you should score them up really well so the epoxy will bond properly. I then drilled the holes for the rivets and used standard domed head SS rivets. 3 per rail. This should give the side skirts a strong place to sit and bond to the car, also it will provide the bondo a place to set up against so it will be easy to blend them into the car.

I decided I wanted to have removable front fenders so I cut the front of the side skirts off and Will bond/rivet them to the front fenders. Then put a sleve inside the front portion of the side skirt to slide the fender onto and eliminate the huge gap that would otherwise be there.

Here the side skirt is test fitted to the rest of the car with the fender portion cut off.

Heres the driver side with the side skirt bonded on and the and the front fender portion attached to the fender. There is no sleeve under the gap yet. I did this after the front fenders got removed.

The passenger side with the fender removed and the sleeve installed. I had to hand form these pieces and bond/rivet them in. But at least I can pull off my fenders later.

101 - 120 of 1104 Posts