Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1041 - 1060 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
I’m borrowing my brother’s RA polisher to take up north with me. The sanding actually goes pretty fast but the polishing takes 5 times longer. Good exercise while I’m too busy to hit the gym though haha.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
Got no replies in the trans sub forum, so I’ll ask here.
I forgot to grease up the trans input shaft and release bearing before my engine went back in. To pull the engine what do I do about the clutch and release bearing being stuck together? Do I pull the clutch fork pivot shaft first then the engine? What about putting it back in?

Back to work tonight. Tint going on the rear window in the next few days and the new wrx intake is also with me. Fingers crossed on that too.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
614 Posts
You're removing the giant pivot they sit on (the big ass hex in the side of the trans)? Remove the hex cover, then thread in a ~4mmx40mm screw to grab the pivot arm and slide it out of the trans.

After that just yank up on the clutch fork. Bearing will attach to the pressure plate.

Greasing the input shaft bearing helps with assembly but isn't super required. Not greasing the throwout bearing will just make it noisy, shouldn't change anything for assembly/disassembly.

-TC

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
Watching some YouTube I saw a video from MRT performance about a clutch service where they didn’t grease the sleeve, it did some damage to the trans housing that required an entire new trans... I don’t wanna be in that group.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
Got the WRX intake manifold on to test fit, very good fit. Lots of room now, the intake pipe is another story though.

It never ends lol

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,053
TGV delete on the WRX intake.
Removing the flappers was a bitch. The screws holding them in twisted apart (all of them) and all I got was the heads on 6 of them so I had to use a drill press to drill out the flappers.

Then I wish I had a sawsall when it came time to take out the dividers. But a fine hacksaw blade and a lot of stroking took out the walls in here

Then a carbide bit on my die grinder made fast work of hogging out the bores to remove the ridges

Then I finished it up with a sanding wheel.

Stick some short bolts in the four left over holes with some Permatex Ultra and it’s done!

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,103 Posts
Yeah I started looking into this last night. Assuming the two pumps are almost the same As long as I can get a banjo bolt or oem WRX fitting to attach to the pump it should be easy

think this may help. I read somewhere, that wrx pump is stronger. But should work regardless.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056
I called injector dynamics this morning, the ID725s are a modular injector so I’ll send Stuart a pic of my injector and he’ll send out the caps to fit the WRX manifold.
That will save me some big bucks

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
g

This update is way overdue. Just like everything else right now.
I moved the car out of the rented shop at the end of April. All the painting was done, new windshield installed, as well as the engine.

Header wrapped and installed.

I had a pro come install the tint on the rear glass. For what it costs It’s totally worth it.

The 3” STI SS exhaust I bought was for factory fitment, however the NA intake and fuel rails were tKing all that real estate in front of the turbo. So I was forced to buy a WRX intake manifold and then retrofit my NA harness and TB onto it. Using the WRX harness that came with the manifold was just not something I wanted to do. So I hope there’s no boost leaks out of this when it’s all bolted up. I made a custom adapter plate out of 1/16 aluminum sandwiched between the intake and TB.

It was a rats nest of wires in the pass footwell before. I took the factory ecu out of the case and repurposed the case to hold the Emtrons ecu. Then tucked all the wires under the kick plate and run the comm cable into the glove box so whenever there is tuning to be done just open the glove box and plug in the laptop.

No room behind the turbo for the Cruise control unit I snagged at the junkyard so it’s going in the passenger fender behind the ABS unit. Extended the wire harness and it should work good. All I need to do is figure a way to mount the wheel controls in the column somewhere and find the correct wires.

Fenders and liners are mounted. Paint still needs wet sanding and polish.

·
Registered
00'RS w/EJ20 swap, 13'Volt, 06' Frontier
995 Posts
yay updates! looks good. i have yet to polish my car too. always something in the way or more important to do.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
Clearance issue with the up-pipe on the passenger side head. This chunk of extra aluminum needed to be ground down to allow the up-pipe to fit.

Used a press to flatten the up-pipe and make room between the pipe and head.

After all was done there the rest of the exhaust went on like a glove. no clearance issues anywhere else. I did have to buy 5" rubber exhaust hangers to clear the rear bumper though. But im really happy the way the exhaust came out.

1041 - 1060 of 1113 Posts