Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
i'm so jealous of you having a huge shop in which to do work in.

car looks fantastic.

i'm sorry i missed it....but what screen/radio deck is that?
Its an Elcheapo, Xtrons TD601G. I payed $190 shipped from ebay. I have a $1200 retail Pioneer AVIC N3 in my truck but honestly I like the Xtrons better. The Pioneer wont play discs that are only a little scratched, every time I have to unhook the battery I have to re-install the GPS program and all the settings. All the extra functions like GPS, bluetooth, ipod, and DVD needed extra "boxes" during the install. And the picture just isnt as good.

Maybe because the Xtrons is way newer but so far I like it. I cant justify paying another $800 and up for a "Brand name" deck that only I know I paid way too much for. Besides the only woman I know that could tell the difference from an Alpine and a Audiovox is my sister. And shes a true gearhead.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm done the Head gasket and Timing belt repairs. Pulled the car in the shop two weeks ago and got it done in my free time. All the DIY write ups on ths forum helped so much. Got the car in the garage tonight after a shakedown cruise and it runs great still. |No pressure in the coolant system or overheating issues now! I painted the rims Gold right before the engine work. Im happy to say this has turned out a great car

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Some pics of the Timing Belt and Head gasket change.

I pulled the engine according to the DIY engine removal thread http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237-diy-engine-removal.html which worked out great, while I think I could have done the repairs while the engine was in the bay it still would have been alot of work and harder to work in that small space.

Drove it in the shop on blocks and under the roof hoist, Got some buds to help me remove the hood, from there its basically a one guy job.

Following the instructions on the engine removal threead with my laptop beside me step by step proved very easy, I took pictures along the way incase I hit a point where I couldnt figure out how to re-install the engine later, but that didnt happen ;)

I left the header attached mainly because I couldnt remove the bolts at the Cat but it didnt prove a big obstacle, mostly at the engine mounts but after the manifold side bolts were taken out it moves freely enough.

Shot of the motor with the intake assembley taken off. Make sure you remember how many wires you dissconnected and where. Makes it way easier to re-install later, also cover up those internal holes to prevent a loose screw or something falling into the heads or block.

I did one head gasket at a time instead of removing both at the same time, it only took a few hours to do the actual "work" that had to be done. The write ups on the head gasket replacement and the Timing belt replacement in the DIY forums were done really well and helped me tons. This saved me 14 quoted hours of labor at the nearest Subaru dealer and $2200 in costs, The gasket and timing kit were sent from 420Motorsportrs and everything fit perfectly.

Engine goes back in the bay, after having some trouble I figured out the clutch cover was jammed between the engine and tranny. after that it went slick.

Fired it up and what do ya know? it runs! Its below -20 C up here now even in the day and there have been no issues with the motor (once its running) Getting it started while its this cold has been harder but thats normal for most older vehicles up here. The Rad doesnt pressure up now and the engine runs great. Props to all the guys who helped me on here.
Bdog.

·
Registered
93 impreza tur 1.8 5spd
9 Posts
nice nice job! wish i had someone to help me with mine... pretty sure i have a few gaskets out right now leak oil and use a small amout of coolant have 267,xxx on a original engine had the timing belt last changed at 87,000 i just checked it and it looks horrible but i have never done timing or head gaskets on a boxer yet my car needs body work and inteior also she is worn out needs to be brought back to life : )

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Just thought Id post an update on my car. 6 months after the paint job done and it still loks great. Rust has started coming up and out inside the rear wheel wells at the very edges. Its made me think of getting a 22B body kit and going the full deal on this car. I think I'll wait till spring and warm weather to see how the rest of the paint job made the winter. The roads up here are covered in so much salt all winter.

The engine is running great all winter after the head gasket changes and the new belt. I just did a 2500 mile road trip and no issues! But the engine burns more oil than BP!!! WTF!? almost half a gallon of oil went in the filler on my road trip and I dont know where it went. It doesnt leave a trail of blue smoke going down the road, it doesnt smell and it doesnt leak. I'm confused where its all going.

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
- better check the oil for fuel smell. Just open the oil cap or dip stick and give it a sniff. Fuel could be leaking into the oil pan.

Also check the timing belt covers, it could be a bad seal and leaking into a closed area.

....mind blowing restoration btw!
-Dash

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
- better check the oil for fuel smell. Just open the oil cap or dip stick and give it a sniff. Fuel could be leaking into the oil pan.

Also check the timing belt covers, it could be a bad seal and leaking into a closed area.

....mind blowing restoration btw!
-Dash
Thanks man, appreciate the advise. I'll give the oil a sniff and pull it into the hangar to check the timing cover once there is some room in there! were repainting my work ride in there. :banana:

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Here We go!!
Got the Aerosim 22B WRC widebody kit. Steve from aerosim is an awesome guy to deal with. Shipping was a PITA but here it is. Everything minus the front bumper. I'm gonna see how Iike it with the RS bumper first since I spent alot on this bumper already.

The kit is definately a high quality kit. my first impression was how solid the panels felt. Not heavy or bulky just beefy and stiff.

61 - 80 of 1104 Posts