Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

461 - 480 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
I might end up going that way. Still watching Geronimos thread to see how he makes out with the PP6. He's at square one, Im at square zeeero lol. I'm looking for a good deal on an EMU before I jump into that. Probably get a boomslang cable to make the install as simple as possible.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
928 Posts
I'm not sure how soon I will be getting the PP6 installed. I don't even have a laptop that I can make work yet. You might beat me to it lol.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
It's that old? I gotta get my car idling properly before anything else. Thankfully I live in a desolate isolated town without a single stoplight and highways in every direction. My car wouldn't be drivable in a regular city. It runs great whenever Im on the gas or cruising but whenever it goes into neutral it's a gamble as to how long it will run. Sometimes it's just seconds before it dies. I've got a new IACV and TB gasket on the way but the flip side of the coin is it takes weeks for anything to get here. Nothing is ever easy lol.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
928 Posts
It's that old? I gotta get my car idling properly before anything else. Thankfully I live in a desolate isolated town without a single stoplight and highways in every direction. My car wouldn't be drivable in a regular city. It runs great whenever Im on the gas or cruising but whenever it goes into neutral it's a gamble as to how long it will run. Sometimes it's just seconds before it dies. I've got a new IACV and TB gasket on the way but the flip side of the coin is it takes weeks for anything to get here. Nothing is ever easy lol.
My laptop is just that new. I'm running the older version of the software because my unit is one of the old aluminum tab versions. I have the software installed but have not figured out how to install a USB to RS232 adapter yet.

That's crazy that your car will die if you let it idle. Mine will often go rich and stumble when I put the clutch in I haven't figured that one out yet but I thought it might have to do with resonance of the MAF and my crappy short intake. I also thought it might be the IACV which I intend to remove and clean. It's all about finding the time to do it. I am earning money on the side by working on other peoples' cars while I am in grad school with a wife and 2 kids :blowingup

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
My laptop is just that new. I'm running the older version of the software because my unit is one of the old aluminum tab versions. I have the software installed but have not figured out how to install a USB to RS232 adapter yet.

That's crazy that your car will die if you let it idle. Mine will often go rich and stumble when I put the clutch in I haven't figured that one out yet but I thought it might have to do with resonance of the MAF and my crappy short intake. I also thought it might be the IACV which I intend to remove and clean. It's all about finding the time to do it. I am earning money on the side by working on other peoples' cars while I am in grad school with a wife and 2 kids :blowingup
Are you running stock injectors? Rich you say, now that I can monitor the AFR mine is going up and down as it stumbles, it seems to lean out as the revs tank. Then I'll give it some throttle to catch it from dying and the AFR goes back to rich. I got a new TB gasket in the mail today and after installing it didnt improve, so hopefully when the new IACV gets here that will solve the problem. They are friggin expensive! I like buying from 42 autosports but I think they came as low as they could and it was still too much like $400 its what I paid for the car! lol. So I found one on the bay for $40 shipped from "GONGGGGG!!!" So I'll be lucky if I still own the car when it arrives.

UPDATE

I've been thinking about the knock correction I found on the log and the huge gap between the intercooler and the hood and all the spillage of cold air that might be going around the intercooler instead of through it. So yesterday I went to work and made a new shroud for the top mount out of some aluminum that was laying around. It looks deadly, not at all stock but very functional, when I got home from the hangar I popped the hood and the IC felt like an ice block.

I had seen these holes and figured I could mount some aluminum skirts from them.

So I went to work and found some scrap aluminum sheeting and cut them up to a shape I thought would work, just by pure coincidence they ended up being exactly 12" long and 5" wide at the base with a taper to approximate the slope of the hood and a square base to wrap around the front of the intercooler.

Next I mounted them on and marked where the bends needed to be made. Luckily there was enough room beside and down under the intercooler to manuver them into place otherwise I would have had to measure lol

I bent them 90 degrees around the front mounting holes and mounted them back on and checked the clearance under the hood.

On the side with the BOV I had to notch a corner out to clear it.

Then I measured the distance between the two sides and cut and bent up a bridge to fill the gap in the front. One main bend at half the width to slide over the two bends at the front and an extra bend at the bottom front to add strength and made it look finished.

Drilled 8 holes and riveted the pieces together.

Pulled off the protective plastic and this is how it turned out

I also bent up a couple pieces to go along the sides to add some strength and take away the sharp edges.

Then to combat the air spilling over top of the IC I added this little piece on the bottom of the hood scoop to be a back stop.

threw my flashlight in there to show the gap better, just enough room to add some foam along the top edge to seal it up tight.

I cut up some high density foam sheet to go along the edges and keep all the hot air out and force the cold air in, sorry no pics of these installed yet.

I was feeling pretty ambitious yesterday so I also made up a new belt shroud. pretty simple thing I just used the power steering tank as a mount and added a corner bracket at the other end by the AC pump. Now my hoodie strings won't strangle me to death if I forget and lean in too far lol.

Oh yeah and I made a cold air intake box out of more of that high density foam and a piece of thick mudflap lol. when the fan kicks on none of the hot air from the rad is getting in there. (I checked)

All of this to combat detonation lol
Well except the belt shroud anyway, I'm thinking about getting a Mishimoto thermostat to open up the rad earlier and some intake manifold spacers to cool it down too. I'm gonna try all this stuff out and see how the logs look in Boost looking for knock hoping it doesnt appear again. But I got a feeling I wont be happy and I'll end up getting a piggyback and some forged internals.

Still gonna make a video but I want some nicer scenery and the check engine light to go away first. Once the idle is fixed up I'll be on it

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
Thanks guys, the best part was it was free.

Anyone who want to do this one thing to remember is not all aluminum can be bent to extreme angles. I used some very thin stuff (like consrtuction paper thickness) that could easily be cut with tin snips. The thinner aluminum is more maleable than the thicker sheets. If you get the thicker stuff thinking stronger, and try to bend it in a metal bender past 90 degrees it can crack in two. The metal just can't stretch around a corner like that. The thin sheets are actually pretty rigid on there, just a little bit of give, once a crease is put into the metal it becomes much stronger. Like folding paper. And it's super light. I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it but maybe 1/2lb ??? Maybe 3/4lb but that's it.

I used 12"X4.5" as the final dimensions
The 12X5 measurement would have juuust cleared under my hood but I wanted some wiggle room since that intercooler can rock back and forth and I didn't want it rattling against the hood. So Before I bent it I cut about 1/2" off the width making it about 4.5" wide. Pictures can't show it well enough but the gap along the forward edge is pretty small, about a 1/2". That's keeping all the hot air under the hood from mixing with the cool air coming in from the scoop.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
With some foam pieces installed. The forward side contacts the hood just a little bit and makes a seal along the bottom lip of the intake scoop. But I'm kind torn on the looks of the foam. But here's what it looks like.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
If you don't like how it looks on the I/C, stick the foam to the underside of the hood; that's what I did. :)

Very nice, clean job. Love the look and the considerations for sharp edges. Those angles can be a bear to get just right; well done!

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
928 Posts
Wow, that shroud is amazing! I wish I had your skills but then again I don't think I would put that much work into my ghetto wagon :lol:

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Thanks Guys! The IACV still isn't here and Winter is back so the car has been parked for a few days. On days off now and it's so shitty here I don't even want to drive it. Grrrr.

In the ECU/Piggyback tuning section I'm talking with Delicious Tuning about getting a custom ECU flash that would be suitable for a turbo engine. Bill sounds positive that he can tune a 99 ECU to play nice with a Turbo 2.5 I'm very excited about this. It sounds like he's pretty busy but at least there's a glimmer of hope I can have a plug and play ECU that won't detonate the engine to Eternia. I can't imagine why Delicious hasn't already had requests for this since so many NA guys have got their ECUs reflashed. Also I got some lovely STI rods in the mail and I have a line on some STI pistons as well. Maybe the engine building will begin again soon.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #480
That is awesome! I hope that works out for you. Would you be able to hav them tune it for larger injectors?
Yeah Im pretty hopeful he said he should be able to scale for WRX 440 injectors.

I too, would be interested in a re-flashed ecu.
I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think he can tune MAP based EFI or flash 98-older ECUs. He mentioned the 99 up specifically with MAF

You should read the thread and confirm.

461 - 480 of 1104 Posts