Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I've been real busy with Daddy duties again but the car is 95% done. Here are a few non great pics of the car.

Got the car re-assembled and back to the house, I have the roof trim and trunk moldings left to put on. Want to paint the inner trunk portion of the body before thats done but its going to be soon. The new bumper looks great with the fogs in there. Got HIDs installed as well but the new housings didnt show up till today while I was at work.

The body turned out great with a couple minor problems but nothin I cant fix easily with a bit of time. underneath the window trim where it meets the car pulled away the paint with the tape but some minor detailed painting can help that.

and the other side with the new door.

it closes great and looks like new. Its hard to see the glimmer on the paint but its there in bright light.

thats all I got for now. Some more pics later. Thanks for all the comments Boys!

I've got a few issues with the car I'll be asking for help with on other areas of the forum so please take a read and help a guy out.

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,540 Posts
lookin great!

and remember, search before you post something, usually a LOt more helpfull that way.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
and finally the finished product

Theres no roof trim on yet but thats what I have left to do. I got the new headlight housings on and the HIDs installed.

This project was alot of work but alot of fun it was very worth it for the price I paid for the car $400 for the car, $750 for the door, $500 for paint and supplies, Lights, a new Deck, emblems, $320 for the bumper and $320 for the windshield. I think its a pretty nice car now. Its no brand new Dodge Challenger but its the only 99 Impreza I've ever seen in my neck of the woods. Big bounus there, and its paid for!

I love the look of the RS and the new bumper, the paint turned out real good so on to the mechanical issues now that I'm satisfied to give this car a second chance at life. I know this thing was gonna make a trip to the junkyard if I didnt rescue it. Now I can get it relaible and drive it back and forth to BC looks like Its gonna be a great winter car

A couple before and after shots
Driver side

The new deck installed

rear

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So you fixed rust by not cutting it out? That rust WILL be back. It looks good now though.
I sanded it down to bare metal wherever it could be done and used Zinc Chromate poly urathane paint to seal the new metal. The only areas that probably needed repalcing were the rear fenders where I sanded down as low as I dare and used body filler. This is gonna be a driving car not a show car. And I cant weld lol

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
instead of starting a new thread ill ask on this one about a couple issues with the car

What do you guys recommend to glue the moonroof trim back on?

The reason the car got parked in the first place was an overheating issue. 189,000 kms. (118,000 miles) on the car.
It coulnt finish a 500 mile road trip from Edmonton to High Level where I work. It ran fine the first few times I drove it but as I expected it started to overheat without warning. luckily it never got too hot to stall the engine or do any severe damage.

the car has a new Radiator, according to my co-pilot the previous owner

First thing I did was pull the thermostat, pulled the guts out and re-installed it. So basically runs with no Thermostat right now. It only moved back and forth for the paint job recently. I changed the rad fluid at the same time with 50/50 green stuff. It still gets warm, which it almost shouldnt with no Thermostat.

What I find while it runs now. the car warms up at a normal rate, up to the mid range of the gauge. there is heat coming out of the heater when I turn it on the temp gauge seems to go lower. the car hasnt over heated seriously but i havent driven it far or long yet.

When I park the car and open the hood it gets interesting. The overflow tank gets very full.. almost over flows. The rad fluid inside is very warm. there are bubbles coming up the tank up from the hose connected from the rad cap. after the rad cools almost completely and I open the cap there is an audible Whoosh! of gas coming from inside. Still pressurized? hmm. the rad fluid will be down at least 500ml (1 pint). I have syphoned it out with the hose and back into the rad a few times but this keeps happening. I bought a new rad cap which should be here soon. one with a slightly higher pressure rating. but the one from my ZX600R fits fine and the same thing happens.

There was and is still no water in the oil. I keep checking it.

The car has a new rad, no thermostat and still heats up

The car gets heat inside the cab but it cools off the engine coolant

It blows the fluid out the rad into the overflow and still has pressure after its cooled off even a day later.

Does this sound like a head gasket issue???

This is the biggest thing with this car, it runs great otherwise!!

·
Premium Member
1995 Impreza LX, 2000 LGT wags
530 Posts
yep, external head gasket leak, with probably a little bit of coolant getting pressurized by the chamber, but not mixing with oil.
I did the same on my aspen before it was painted. was a great car afterwards tho! your cars lookin' good, props on saving it

·
I kill threads!
Impreza Turbo 2000
3,747 Posts
Yep, definitely head gaskets. The 2.5 engines have notorious head gasket issues.

Awesome job though. It's nice to see these cars in good hands and brought back to life.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
anybody use the head gasket sets from ebay? The dealership up here tries to rape you hard. im gonna use the write ups on here and attmept it myself.

21 - 40 of 1104 Posts