Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

321 - 340 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Anyone reading my Journal use a VIPEC ECU before? Or have any coments on them? The nearest shop in Red Deer likes to use them.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Got the BOV from Spec R today (great seller), its a quality unit that's for sure, cant wait to use it.
Thanks guy.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
Got the BOV from Spec R today (great seller), its a quality unit that's for sure, cant wait to use it.
Thanks guy.
Wonderful. I was wondering when you would get it. dont forget to prelube the brass piston with a silicone type lubricant when you finally get your turbo project going. :loser:

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Found out today a Nardi wheel is NOT a direct swap with an RS Wheel. After removing the stock wheel and then the airbag donut under it I thought I was ready to simply put the Nardi in its place. Nope. The Nardi splines don't extend out far enough behind the wheel to prevent the back of the wheel from pushing on the steering column plastic cover... So I put the RS wheel back on till I figure this out. Either I need to trim a bunch of plastic off the column cover to prevent the rubbing or I have to find some kind of washer or bushing to butt up to the Nardi.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Thanks Dom, I found that DIY after. Ugh, looks like the op of that thread used a non airbag JDM column to make it all work.. a heck of alot more work than I anticipated. I want to try something simpler first before I go that route. Hopefully I can. I'm thinking a decent sized washer may work or perhaps trimming the plastic.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
I'm using a Nardi V3, it works. Mainly you'll need to trim the column cover and employ a new system for the signal canceller and horn, shoot me a PM if you need any help.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
I'm using a Nardi V3, it works. Mainly you'll need to trim the column cover and employ a new system for the signal canceller and horn, shoot me a PM if you need any help.
something like this??

removed the OEM wheel, gauges, then column cover.

cleaned and removed the Turn signal/wiper arm assembly then painted it flat black so its harder to see through the small gap that was about to be carved out of the plastic cover

I placed the cover back on then the Nardi Wheel. Traced a line around the wheel with a sharpie to mark the plastic that needed to be removed (sorry no pics of this step) then on my workbench used a die grinder with a carbine bit to remove the extra plastic. Then sanded the ring and re-installed the column cover

I forgot to take pics of the cover before the hole was enlarged but this hole is approx 1/2" wider in total diameter. the bottom didnt really have to be touched. most of the plastic that had to be removed was from the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

Did a bit more fine trimming with the cover installed and having the new wheel right there to test fit. Once I was happy there was no rubbing and the gap was uniform round I Installed the new wheel. Fits very nice
Sorry for the grainy pic

My signals dont cancel with this wheel. But I've saved my OEM wheel and Airbag doughnut if I want them back.. My horn hasnt worked since I got the car so no functionality lost there. But the signals, lights and wipers still do their jobs properly so I'm happy. I have planned to wire up a horn on a separate button for a long time but if theres a way to do it with the horn button I'll try. Eniobaka, how did you keep your signal cancel and horn functional? was it the same as the DIY Dominator posted above?

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
scrolled through..and didn't see it anywhere. do you have a post in here about the gauge setup? i want to match my gauges to my new headunit.
I posted I got some gauges yup. But that's about it. The white Glow shift gauges match the white face Suby gauges almost perfectly in Font style too. And they have a bunch of selectable colors for illumination that's why I got them.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Oh $#!t I thought you were talking about the three pod gauges for my turbo build. My bad... You meant the stock cluster, Yeah I did that a long while back. Pulled the gauges and checked the bulb types Then ordered some blue LEDs to match my deck. They plugged right in and work awesome, even dim nicely. Easy $20 mod. But no I actually never covered that mod on here.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
I dont have any before/after shots of my Impreza gauges but I did the same mod with my Bike gauges. Using Blue LEDs heres how it turned out. The Kawasaki gauges had the same greenish tinge to the plastic diffusers that spread the light around to all areas of the face. The blue light easily overpowers the color.

Before.. Standard Incandescent bulbs

After with Blue LEDs

321 - 340 of 1104 Posts