Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Man I wish you lived near me, I would totally trade body work labor for mechanical/tuning/fab work with you lol.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Man I wish you lived near me, I would totally trade body work labor for mechanical/tuning/fab work with you lol.
Connecticut hey? Yep that's a heck of a drive from here or I would take you up on that. I find body work so simple and straight forward my mind can go blank. But mechanics and mechanical theory I enjoy way more. So much more to learn. When I rebuilt the 2.5 I was terrified of screwing something up major but these are really simple engines once you've done one. Soft tuning is my new nemesis. I'm pretty sure Ill be calling on ya to help me out with an Emanage Ultimate once I finally get one

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Connecticut hey? Yep that's a heck of a drive from here or I would take you up on that. I find body work so simple and straight forward my mind can go blank. But mechanics and mechanical theory I enjoy way more. So much more to learn. When I rebuilt the 2.5 I was terrified of screwing something up major but these are really simple engines once you've done one. Soft tuning is my new nemesis. I'm pretty sure Ill be calling on ya to help me out with an Emanage Ultimate once I finally get one
Yup the SOHCs are pretty easy to work on and straightforwad, and I'll do my best to help!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
November 2013 Update:
Replaced the MAF and air filter. I know the filter and pipe were smashing against the passenger fender on occasion during the rough idle or on shutdown which may have been making the MAFs fail. I mounted the intake pipe to a 6" custom brace I made from a piece of metal that was part of our new bed frame. Installed a new AEM dry flo filter (awesome quality). So hopefully I wont have that problem again soon.
I fixed the idle issue with ECU explorer and a USB/OBD cable. Now it idles very nicely around 1000 rpm. It still goes up and down a bit from 1000 so I know the problem is still there but the symptoms are alot less now. It finally runs better than it ever has during its life with me. I checked the compression and plugs yesterday and re-lowered the suspension 1". The plugs looked perfect, just a light brown tinge on them. The Compression was good too. still a bit of fine glitter in the oil under a large flashlight but nothing really scary and the magnetic plug only had a bit of metallic sludge on it. nothing to write home about.

I've been looking for parts for a springtime turbo build.
So far Ive got
Gauges (Boost, NB AFR, Oil press)
02-04 TMIC
TD04L
oil lines
Turbo gaskets
coolant lines
GFB BOV should be here soon.

Still need to get
Second oil galley bung for oil feed line
Kinugawa Wastegate actuator
Subachad's up/down pipes
some kind of EM, leaning towards Emanage Ultimate.
Wideband
NGK 7 plugs

I been thinking about an oil cooler on a sandwich plate but the relatively cool climate up here makes me think it may be un-necessary and add greater chance to catch a rock or have an oil leak that could kill the engine. (just ask Petter Solberg)

I been meaning to take some pics with the car and my lady for a long time. We missed our chance this summer while in some beautiful country in British Columbia. But last night we made a trip to my hangar and snapped some pics.
I'm no photographer, the lighting in there was terrible compared to outdoors in the sunshine but its -10 here with snow so its our only option. We just had some fun and had her try on some different outfits. Women hate their bodies even when they look great to us so a bottle of wine helps everything. I'm pretty proud to have her anyway. Enjoy the shots.

The car is gonna be parked in my garage for most of the winter. The salt and gravel is already spread all over up here. I'll probably have it out a few times but have to put the RS goldies with the studded winter tires on to have any traction. I'm looking for a spare oil pressure bung if anyone has one they wanna part with. Im also trying to figure out how I'm going to wire up the narrowband Air fuel gauge???? .... the A pillar gauge pod looks sweet, cant wait to get it all working.

·
Registered
97 STI-R Coupe
27 Posts
Skimmed through most of your build, absolutely gorgeous car man. Props for going the distance with the 22b kit. I want to on my V4 STI soooo bad but I think im gonna go with flares, im more a mechanical less body work kinda guy :D

·
Registered
2.0 n/a
38 Posts
real tidy motor i like it ,i can only imagine the time that you put in
oh and your woman takes a good picture 2 ,dont make them like that in
the uk either lol
cracking pair
but yea like the car a lot nice work :)

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #313 (Edited)
real tidy motor i like it ,i can only imagine the time that you put in
oh and your woman takes a good picture 2 ,dont make them like that in
the uk either lol
cracking pair
but yea like the car a lot nice work :)
Thanks!
Where are you in the UK? I've got long lost family over there and I've always wanted to go.

Found one more I'm allowed to put on lol.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
there were some nice pics but nothing like the Kawi 600 pics we took years ago.:naughty:
I was hoping to take some KICK ass photos last summer but with kids and relatives always around we had almost zero time for any of that kind of fun.

·
Registered
2.0 n/a
38 Posts
Thanks!
Where are you in the UK? I've got long lost family over there and I've always wanted to go.

Found one more I'm allowed to put on lol.
im in yorkshire fair to middle ,its a small island compared to usa and just cold and grey lol
oh and i got to thinking if id seen your build thread earlier
id of saved my actuator comment as i can now see you put a good amount into the motor lol
good job
my turbo upgrade well no point me throwing too much in,car tuning dont go down well with law an insurance ,i just wanted to do it out of curiosity :)

301 - 320 of 1104 Posts