Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

261 - 280 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
After walking away for a bit and then reading a couple threads on the same thing I think I can hopefully pull the seal out without splitting the block. After looking at the crank seal and my old block I think I hammered that seal too far into the back of the case and I blocked off the drain into the pan. theres a pretty good lip to get it past hopefully I can get the screwed one out without doing any damage. Learn something every day!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Yeah I figured that out when I looked at my old block and realized I blocked off the passage. Says nothing in my manual about hammering it in too far. 1 part noob mistake 1 part lousy instructions. I didn't look where the relief passage was before I installed it. If I remember the cam seals have a pinhole against the front and rear just under the bearings. I guess I assumed the main was like that too. Well I got it out fairly easy with a screwdriver and some needle nose pliers. The new one should be here in a couple days. I'm so happy I didn't have to split the block again. And I got the knock sensor plugged in!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
I got it running tonight. Runs almost exactly the way it did before. Still sounds like a subaru. It is noisier than it was before. Probably have to reset the valve lash before long but for now Im gonna run it for a while. To say it idles shitty is an understatement. Once it warms up it doesn't idle at all. I blame the cams. I'll look through the Delta Thread and see if I should drill a hole in the Throttle body plate or see if I can improve it electronically first. Got a Throttle poistion sensor code also. Tried to clear it but it cam back. hmmmm?? could be related to the shitty idle I didnt step into it very hard but a couple revs to 4000 and it seems to pull strong. Overall I'm very happy. Tomorrow I'll be replacing the water with coolant and checking everything over again.

·
Registered
2001 SRP 2.5RS coupe
22 Posts
Beautiful car bud! Might have to get myself from dr34s, they look really great with that wide body kit!

·
Registered
04 GDB 2.5RS
1,373 Posts
Really nice work man! It looks magnificent, and I don't just go around dropping words like magnificent....It's too bad I didn't notice your build sooner, I have some turbo SOHC heads from an EJ22T lying around that you could have used for your rebuild and eventual turbo addition, even would have worked with the timing belt you have.

Not only that but if you have ever landed in TF Green through Northstar, I may have fueled or de-iced you before lol.

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,041 Posts
car looks great! have you thought about a spacer on the back wheels? from certain angles it looks a little funky.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
car looks great! have you thought about a spacer on the back wheels? from certain angles it looks a little funky.
Thanks! I have added a 1" spacer on the rear wheels. It brought them out almost flush. Maybe the older pictures are the ones you were looking at. It looks better with the spacers on for sure.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Really nice work man! It looks magnificent, and I don't just go around dropping words like magnificent....It's too bad I didn't notice your build sooner, I have some turbo SOHC heads from an EJ22T lying around that you could have used for your rebuild and eventual turbo addition, even would have worked with the timing belt you have.

Not only that but if you have ever landed in TF Green through Northstar, I may have fueled or de-iced you before lol.
Thanks alot! I'm pretty happy wih the looks of the car. I finally got the engine running again, but it's the one area that still needs improvement. Tell me more about those heads! Will they work with a EJ257 or Ej253? I've picked up a TMIC and TD04 for a mild turbo build. But probably won't be doing that till next spring.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
I put on 400 miles yesterday and the car ran great! It feels like the powerband has moved quite a bit higher in the RPMs. I didnt get on it hard but pushing close to 4500 rmp on some shifts I noticed the engine really woke up.

It was hemorrhaging oil from the top of the block during the trip and causing some smoke when parked but today I think I found the problem. I didnt tighten the oil pressure sensor bung into the block very tight. It also didnt have any sealant on it. Doh! It didnt lose much but it was enough to cause a puddle on the passenger side and it stunk pretty bad. I added some sealer and torqued the bung into the block. Letting it sit overnight to cure before I start it again and look to see if the leak is gone.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I kinda want to go with 22B pearl blue and get the rims powder coated gold. I like the pearl white alot but I love the blue replicas. Maybe in a couple years it'll get done by a pro. For now it's black rims on white paint. Hoping to take it down to BC next month for a holiday where they'll be some sweet scenery to get my GF in a Bikini and take some nice pics. I totally didn't know but she's behind my bike in a poster on the wall of my garage in one of the pics. I'm a lucky guy! Hot car hot woman! lol

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Heres my other ride.

A shout out for my lovely lady who puts up with me spending so many hours working on this car in the garage or at the hangar. It hasnt always been easy for her to understand why I like to spend so much time and money on a "stupid car" but she understands its part of who I am and she has done her best to accept it. (were still working on that) I'm a very luck guy.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
10 hours of driving and almost 2000 kms and the car is running great so far. It's bitchin hot up here so it's not idling well. I'm sure the valves need to be gapped too but it's running really nicely.

·
Registered
Bugeye Sedan
50 Posts
10 hours of driving and almost 2000 kms and the car is running great so far. It's bitchin hot up here so it's not idling well. I'm sure the valves need to be gapped too but it's running really nicely.
Great work so far!!!
Love the widebody and attention to detail.

You probably already know this but be careful with running the lash to loose.
It doesn't give the valve enough contact with the head to shed heat.
I'd set that lash sooner than later.

EDIT --- I meant to say tight. Not loose.

261 - 280 of 1104 Posts