Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Been driving the car a little this winter. Just a couple of times though. Went out today to pick up some fresh gas, these Maxxis Z4S tires......
WORST WINTER TIRES EVER!!! I've never run ICE tires even though I live in a frozen wasteland I've always run all seasons cuz its cheaper to only have one set but these are by far the worst tires Ive ever had on a vehicle in the winter. The tires on my old Goldies were garbage and they were far better last winter than these Maxxis tires. I'll have to buy some winter tires if I wanna run this car on the ice.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Hey guys thought I'd do an update on the car.

Got the spacers for the rear on, but the car has been in the garage most of the winter and only brought out a couple times. Its currently in there up on ramps getting a rebuild done. Waiting for a built EJ257 short block from TWE with forged 10:1 pistons, and nitrated crank. I've sent out the cams to Delta for a 1500 grind and injectors out to get serviced. The heads have been ported, polished, and valves lapped in. Still waiting on the cams to come back though.
There was massive pitting in #3 cylinder when I pulled it apart :mad:
but at least I found out why it was burning so much oil!! So a full rebuild it will be!!

I also found a 22B WRC wing with an adjustable carbon wing and it should be here this week.

New mass backed carpet from Zealous interiors will be also put in after the car is moving again. Getting pretty stoked to have it back on the road with all the new bits and see how see goes. I'll post some pics when the wing shows up.

Anyway heres a link to the engine work for anyone whos interested
Bdog

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/97014-ej25-na-sohc-rebuild-questions-6.html

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
long story short I ordered what was pictured was a replica 22B, what I got was a Ver 5/6 wing. After I opened it I knew right away the company selling the thing cant tell the difference so I educated them and so far they have been cool about doing a return but I still haven't got my return slip yet.

The REAL DEAL showed up today, 22B WRC with carbon fiber adjustable wing. Its well used but in workable shape. Used to be blue but someone spray bombed it half white, at least they covered the wing center! I found it on kijiji last fall, almost got it but the seller pulled the pin! He just up and changed his mind, I was pissed but six months later it was up again, this time I got it.

I'll be posting the pics of the work for this thing too. Its gonna be a little work for sure. I want to re work the hinge assembly also since it seems to be in rough shape.

Also got a OEM 22B trunk badge. But I'm hesitating to put it on cause I'm debating how long it will be before I end up getting this car professionally painted Rally Pearl Blue. 2 years or 6 years?? I just dont know. Those emblems are getting very expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
First thing I looked at is the Hinge mechanism. Took the wing off and pulled off the four aluminum hinges. They had been painted over a couple of times and were suffering some corrosion.

The way the wing hinge was set up like the one on the left, I dont know if thats the same as all the hinges on these adjustable wings but it seems pretty dumb to me (as a pilot) to have the hinge at the trailing edge of an airfoil. Plus there didn't seem to have much of an adjustment angle anyway.

I'm also going to use the two channels on each side of the wing to secrure the plate. These were previously unused but I dont know why. Its pretty obvious that's what they're there for

New holes drilled and counter sunk, there's not much clearance between the plates only about 1/8" but before they were just grinding together. :crazy:

SS 10/24" Bolts moved through and secured with lock nuts

I decided on a center mounted hinge with the previously drilled holes using a rubber washer trapped between the two plates and secured with a countersunk SS bolt and two locking nuts. I need the hinge to stay tight and after testing VS the old hardware this seems like a good plan. it takes some good force to turn the hinges now and fulcrum moving to the center the wing should stay still even at high speeds

The spoiler base has suffered some damage and has alot of cracking on both sides, this will need to be fixed with sanding/filler/more sanding before paint can be applied of the cracks will appear right through the new paint.

I'm looking at hpw to integrate the LED third brake light into the OEM location

Got the first half of the sanding done tonight, Yup it was met blue under there. I wonder what stories this thing could tell. It had it pretty rough the last few years for sure. The white primer that was put down was just some cheap rattle can acrylic. makes me want the rest of my car RPB

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Got some work done on the spoiler, since it has been beat up a bit its had some cracking on the bases of the vertical fins. I drilled one small hole in the bottom of each fin and filled them with LOW EXPANSION sealer foam, like the kind you use around windows. Once the stuff set up it added more rigidity than I thought it would. The fins dont flex back and forth like they did before.

Now that the fins are stronger I covered the visible cracks with body filler and smoothed everything over. Took a good long night of sanding with a course grit sponge but I got all the lines nice and smooth.

Then I used a die grinder to cut out the hole for the rear brake light and carefully opened it up bit by bit to make a nice smooth fit.

Matched up the hole for the brake light wires and drilled it out then run the wires through inside the new spoiler

Then primer

And a coat of base white. I'll wait for the base to cure a couple days go back and wet sand before adding another coat of base white.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Got the spoiler finished and installed. Its much heavier than the RS spoiler and much bigger looking on the trunk. I wasnt sure I liked it after I first got it on the car, I will try it out for the summer provided I get an engine in the car and see if it grows on me. It looks almost too ricey for my tastes but I know it looks alot closer to a white 22B with this spoiler on. Cant get the car out to take any descent pics but hopefully when the car gets its new motor I can find a good spot to take some better pics. for now this is all I got.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
not a huge fan of giant wings like that..but i think it looks good. like it's supposed to be there.
I hear ya!! Im not a fan of massive wings either. The goal for the body kit was 22B so I had been looking at replica wings forever to complete the car. I liked the RS spoiler on there but in the back of my head the car wasnt done (still isnt) so thats why I tried this wing. Its huge, but its slowly growing on me.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Thanks to Mikey B for moving this over to the Members journal section. Its pretty much been my blog since I started, now I can post all the work I do on here instead of just the body stuff.

The car is currently motorless, I'm waiting for Wiseco to get back to TWE about some 4032 alloy 10:1 pistons that would be ideal for my application, however they currently dont exist and its been a long wait hoping to have the short block in my hands before July. I want to take it on a road trip to BC to break it in but it has to get here first.

Long story short I pulled the engine in March and split the block to rebuild it myself. I found some pitting in #3 and realized thats where all the oil was going.

So I put in a call to TWE for some oversize pistons and bore work and this is where I currently stand. The heads are mostly done with some port and polish work and some delta 1500 cams that just came back.

In the mean time I've done alot of cleanup work on the accessories and intake to cleanup the engine bay.

Next I'll be re-installing the valves, springs, and the reground cams. Basically re-assembling the heads.
Ive got new valve seals that I'm not sure I can put on, all 16 showed up blue. Not sure if they are good or if I should get 8 brown ones as well? theres no suby dealer in my area so I have to order everything online.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Got the cams back from Delta, they looked great all serviced up, wasted no time installing them in the heads, installed the valve seals and springs then checked the lapping job I did.

The combustion chambers sealed up very well, no leaky valve seats so I did something right there.

After thet I installed the cams and plates. Those valve retainers are a bitch! I had to modify my cheap valve tool to let the valve stem fit between the fingers holing the spring tension and then use a pick and tweezers to get them in there. It took me all afternoon but I got them. Then I set the gaps at .06 and .08 but I'll probably re-gap them to 8-10 before I install the heads. I think most guys are happy with the gaps a little loose after the Delta cams go in. The adjusters had to go a lonnnng way down. Tells me they took a more than little meat of the cams for the regrind. I measured them expecting them to be taller like my HO cams on my Dakota, then when I found they were shorter I remembered they had to grind the entire lobe.

After that I painted the heads with aluminum engine paint and painted the valve covers with the remaining crinkle red I used on the intake, Then I baked the covers.

I bought a used EJ253 block and oil pan from a guy in Calgary (neverLift) and it should be here next week sometime. Also bought some ACL bearings and a gasket kit with rings from 42 Autosports. All the new parts should be here within a few weeks. After that I can assemble the short block and have a running engine again!

I want to bring the car on my holiday road trip this July and waiting for TWE to build me a short block has aged me. I'll still pick one up from them when/if they find me some forged pistons but I might be moving this August or September and I want to have the car running this summer. The cost to build a second block from the parts I already have is pretty cheap so I decided to go for it in case I'm waiting alot longer for TWE. plus I can break in these new cams/heads on a less than perfect rebuild and see if I gained any power with them before I put them on a built EJ257..

Still waiting on a spare ECU from another user on here to send out for a Delicious reflash when it gets here. Can anyone recommend a specific JEC reflash? I wanted the second ECU in case something doesnt work well with the new one that way I can go back to an OEM ECU and know it will work.

Dying to get my car back on the road again, the nice weather doesn't last long up here.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Wheel size and offset are more important than tire width. I did alot of number crunching before I purchased anything. I went with 8" rims with a 35 offset and 245/40/18 tires. In the front they are almost flush at the top but stick out at the bottom of the arch but spray the car really bad unless you have mudflaps. At the rear they were still really sunk in so I use 1" spacers which I have no pics of yet but that brought the rears out to a factory looking fit. I dont want anything thats flush or sticks out because the roads up here are always covered in fine gravel and sand, and that crap is horrible on paint.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
This is my new favorite journal. This is one of the best amateur jobs I've ever seen!
Thanks Bro! Amateur is the correct word, I've learned more on this project than anything I've done before. Couldnt have done half of it without this forum. Now if I could only get a reliable engine in it so I can drive it a little. Hopefully in the next month or two I will.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
I came in here expecting a beat up rally rig. Boy was I surprised. It's looking good.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Put the summer rims back on yesterday along with the 22B emblem. I was debating putting the emblem on or holding onto it in case I decide on a later professional RBP paint job but I found another one in case. The rears are as flushed out as they will probably ever be but they have a nice stock look. I love the goldies on a stock GC but they look tiny in the big WRC wheel wells and sit too far in because of the smaller width. So they have some studded ice tires on them for winter driving. I was gonna wait for the engine to be done to swap them but I couldnt wait anymore and it will save some time after the engine goes in. rotten pics, Im so tired of having it sit in my garage for so long but nothing else I can do but wait.

also gave it a little wash to take all the garage dust off it

221 - 240 of 1104 Posts