Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 200 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
532 Posts
I am so jealous. You have done a beautiful job on that kit. Are you planning on swapping out the rear spoiler for a 22b replica? I think it would totally make the car. And a question about the rims you have. They seem to fill in the front fenders nicely but are still a bit sunkin-in on the rear. Are you fine with that or are you going to add spacers to flush them up? And as far as the fule filler cap, I dont really like the chrome one you went with. Is there anyway to use the stock filler door on the kit? I am wanting to do this kit on my RBP 99 rs soon and will be refering to this build frequently I do believe!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I am so jealous. You have done a beautiful job on that kit. Are you planning on swapping out the rear spoiler for a 22b replica? I think it would totally make the car. And a question about the rims you have. They seem to fill in the front fenders nicely but are still a bit sunkin-in on the rear. Are you fine with that or are you going to add spacers to flush them up? And as far as the fule filler cap, I dont really like the chrome one you went with. Is there anyway to use the stock filler door on the kit? I am wanting to do this kit on my RBP 99 rs soon and will be refering to this build frequently I do believe!
I am looking at the 22B replica wing yeah, They look mad. But I like the look of the RS wing on there right now. I've spent enough coin this year so I'll be looking for a deal on one in the spring. Plus I'm the only guy in 500 miles who knows what a 22B is. AI am also looking at some 1/2" spacers for the rear. I dont want them completely flush cuz in my part of the globe we have Snow, salt , and tons of road grit on the pavement most of the year. And flush wheels dont look stock. So a 1/2 will bring them out a little but not flush.

I think you could modify the kit to fit a stock fuel door (sweet) but I was lazy on that one. I saved my door though I dont know why. The kit is designed for that particular style cap. It looks like its right off an airplane and since I'm a pilot I've got a few thumbs up on it from the guys at work. Though I dont love the chrome I like the brushed aluminum more.
I seriously debated going with RBP on my project. PM me if you take this on I'd love to see the work.

·
Registered
99 RBP RS Coupe
129 Posts
Focks dude! The car looks freakin awesome. Now you need a big STI spoiler or 22b wing to go with that nice wide body.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Focks dude! The car looks freakin awesome. Now you need a big STI spoiler or 22b wing to go with that nice wide body.
Thanks man
Definitely won't be going for a tall STI or WRX spoiler but yeah I am in the market for a 22B spoiler just to finish the car. I think a real tall spoiler would ruin the look, the body looks way better with a lower wing.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Damn your car looks awesome. All you need is to fill those gaps in all 4 corner and that thing will be a beast
Do you mean it should be even lower or the wheel width? We don't have the same quality streets you guys have in the south so this car isn't going any lower. I only have 2-3 inches of travel on the shocks as it is. But I will probably pick up some spacers for the rear wheels.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
The fronts are just about perfect for me. Couldn't possibly push them out anymore anyway since I already have a bit of rubbing on the liners in turns. I ordered a set of 25mm spacers for the rears.

A question for you mechanical guys. How tricky are the SOHC heads to Rebuild?
I've looked at the DIY thread and It looks pretty straight forward but are there any tricks to it like setting valve lash or anything that is really delicate and shouldn't be done by an amature?

There is a serious oil burning issue with the 2.5 and I don't want to keep running it like this. I've checked the PCV and compression which seem good. So It leads me to think its Valves. I'd like to send in the cams to Delta cams for a 2000 regrind and rebuild the heads myself if its not rediculously complicated.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Help Guys!!!
Headed out to work this morning with my RS running good. Gave it more pedal than I should have on the way out of town and it died before I got on the highway. Walked home and brought back my truck and superchips code reader. Two codes came up.
0340 evap purge control failure
0440 evap general system failure.
I thought Ok this isn't bad. Unhooked the battery and waited a while
The engine starts and wants to run but it quits after a few seconds. If I wait longer it runs longer. If I start again right away it will only run for a second. The codes dissapeared and haven't come back but she still won't go.
Any suggestions? Other than don't drive it so hard. (I was in a hurry for a medevac flight, which I missed) : (
Got no Subaru dealer in my town. If it won't start who's the best domestic dealer to bring it too?

·
ProcratinatusMajorus
1991 Legacy SS
788 Posts
It sucks that the car broke down on you. After all that work to it too. I'm sure it'll be back on the road soon.

As for your issues, it might be related to the purge system being blocked. Do you have snow there, maybe some snow is packed into the purge outlet. You created a lot of dust with your body work and paint, that may have clogged or blocked it too. If you let it sit, the pressure bleeds off. I hate the EVAP system codes, they are always so vague. My friend has a 2000 legacy, and was having an EVAP error code. I don't know if he fixed it, but I got under to look at the canister and saw a broken wire to the plug going to it. Maybe your could be something simple like that too.

Like a stated, I'm not good with the EVAP stuff, but you should also check the main components too.

MAF sensor clean? Dirty air filter? Getting good spark? Plug wires? (I had bad wires once that caused major misfiring and drivability issues, changed them out, and it ran great) Also check the coil/plug wire connections for corrosion, it happens a lot. How's the fuel pressure? bad gas in the tank? vacuum leak? All these things, or a combo of them could cause some issues.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,661 Posts
ooo white widebody...we can be twins! Car looks great, I want fresh paint!

If you ever get rid of that rear bumper, holler! ;)

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Dominator,
Thanks yu really narrowed it down for me, hahaha. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue, a fuel issue that may be related to the EVAP codes. But more than likey I think it's the Fuel pump. The car just Died, mid-shift. And it wants to run but nit getting any fuel. I ordered a new Walbro pump, and a fuel pressure regulator. I've got it home innthe garage now. We just got a dump of snow last night. ......Gross.
We should win prizes for being so far up north and taking care of our vehicles like this. It's so much harder on vehicles up here.
Stay warm Dude!

·
Registered
97 WRX GC8
89 Posts
I love this. So far my favorite car on this forum! keep up the good work! Sorry I dont know much about EVAP stuff either. Good luck, please keep posting more pics!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
I love this. So far my favorite car on this forum! keep up the good work! Sorry I dont know much about EVAP stuff either. Good luck, please keep posting more pics!
Thanks man.
You want to see an epic build take a look at this thread. Makes my build look redneck. This is MY favorite car on this thread hahaha. But he needs to add some more pics too.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t158548-boogaloo-2001-rsti-project-insanity.html

I'll be updating soon once I start the head work. Got a new Walbro fuel pump coming as the car is dead in my garage. Once I figure out if it was the fuel pump or not I'll be pulling the heads for some porting and polishing then some Delta cams and possibly +1mm Valves. Should be a peppier EJ251 once I'm done. I hope.

181 - 200 of 1104 Posts