Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
That's pretty freakin awesome sir. Love how well that fits after 15+ years of changes/dev work from Subaru.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,742 Posts
It's so weird to see that dash in an early chassis, haha. Nice job!

·
Registered
99 widebody coupe 14' sti swap
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey guys,

I haven't gotten to much done since my last pictures. I've only put about 2k on it, got some new tires, Jdm carbon fiber strut tower brace (which clears the 14' sti intercooler luckily). I ended up having to do the timing belt to clear my p0016 and p0017 codes which took forever for me to figure out, and passed emissions here in Illinois. I also had the car tuned to remove the air codes, I'm not sure what the tune is, it's only temporary until further modifications. But to be honest the car is extremely fast already, and it hasn't given me any problems other than the alternator belt failing a couple hundred miles in.
My current project/issue is my rear suspension. I'm running the 05 spring/struts in front, but in the rear I'm running blown tien coilovers. The ride is crap, however it still handles quite well lol.
I have a pair of complete 05 rear shocks and it would be nice to have the rears match the front so I was looking into swapping those in.
I've been reading about people drilling a hole in their strut towers to run the newer style top hats but I have yet to see any good pics of someone's accomplished product, and I have yet to put my 05 rear suspension up to the body to compare the two.
I've also hear of people cutting the rs top hats to fit into the newer shock but I haven't seen any pics of that at all.
Or I abandon the idea all together and get some decent rs rear suspension.
I will accept any input on this, I'm not a suspension guy, and the car probably isn't going to ever see a track, although I wish it would ?
I haven't done anything to the body, I still have some work to do before paint and with all the fiberglass panels I'm waiting to see if I find any new stress cracks before the final paint.
I'll post some pics I do have soon.
Thanks for the continued interest, I wish it was going a little quicker myself.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,566 Posts
The work you've done on this is incredible! I hope to see your car sometime in person, but I'm very impressed that not only did you get the car running, you passed IL emissions with it.

Regarding your suspension, you have a couple options:
Because you have 5x114.3 hubs, the RS rear suspension won't bolt up to that. Your options then are the following:

Drilling the chassis to fit the GD top hat

RS coilovers with 5x114.3 bottom collars

Or as I've heard, some people actually use a few washers to space a GD 5x114.3 STI strut with an RS top hat and RS rear spring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Your welcome to come by sometime and see it if you want to pm me, most people don't understand what their even looking at when they see the car. It would be nice to show it to someone off this forum, other than zkilla, who's gonna help me get some pics up as soon as I send them to him.
I have a question, you say the rs suspension won't bolt up to my 5x114.3 spindles. I'm currently running coilovers for a gc and they bolted right up to the 05 rear spindles.
I know 05+ front spindles are wider where the strut bolts up, but I thought the rears are the same, based on being able to bolt up the rear gc coilovers. I figured out the 05's were larger when the gc coilovers didnt bolt up, but luckily the 05 top hats work in the gc, actually the 14's bolt up too.

I'm leaning towards drilling the hole since it's my cheapest option to run a rear suspension I already own, my only concern was strength but no one else seems to have an issue.

I want to see how they use washers to adapt top hats before I do drill the holes if possible, a new pair or top hats and some washers is no big deal, as long as it's a more/as reliable an option to drilling the hole.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
Very nice build by the way, incredible effort just getting the 14 sti canbus bullshit all happy in the old chassis. Not to mention all the body work. Pretty neat seeing how the newer sti seems so much larger yet the dash is almost exactly the same size.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow those are amazing, I already ordered them. Not only will they add strength, I'm sure they will make it much easier to figure out the placement of the hole that needs to be drilled. Seriously thanks for the link to those, they're a great find, and only $36.

I'll have to make sure to take pics of that mod when I do it for anyone else interested. I wouldn't have ever even thought of making this car without seeing all the previous work done by other members on here, so I kinda owe you guys lol

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,566 Posts
I added detail on the washer thing. People do that to run an RS spring, not a GD one. And nhawks, good to know about the rear collars being the same!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
They seem like a pretty straightforward install. That's gonna be a hell of a rally car tsidreams is building over there.
I do agree with blue car's comment on tsidreams install, I think it's unnecessary to weld the plate all the way around the strut tower, just some stitch welds should do it.
I'm excited to get those and run my gd suspension, but I'm going to have to remove my interior again to weld, oh well.

I forgot to mention I also replaced the dash a couple months back to remove the hole from the airbag deploying, and I bought a jdm sti grill for it, nothing special but progress none the less, answering questions about that airbag hole was getting annoying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
The gc->gd rear suspension plates came in the mail yesterday. I got them installed today and got to take the car for a ride, much better. I'll have pics up tomorrow, unless I can figure it out tonight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No, I'm gonna have to have my buddy help me agin I'm sure. They're on my flickr account here if you can't wait lol
Flickr
Hope that works

21 - 40 of 54 Posts