Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
99 widebody coupe 14' sti swap
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey welcome to my member journal. I'm glad to finally give something back to the members of this community, you've all been very helpful and even inspiring. Ill give you a little background about myself and how I got into subarus. I live in Chicago and only owned rwd cars prior to my Subaru which were obviously horrible in snow. I wanted something smaller than my work truck to drive in winter and I always liked sti's. I didnt have money to buy an sti just for the winter, and I'm not a fan of sedans, which brought me to the gc chassis. I always loved the gc wrc cars, I still think they are gorgeous. My first Subaru was a 95 L coupe that I ended up jdm sti swapping and selling to fund this project.

After being almost a year into my build I decided it's time to start a journal. I have a lot of pictures and information to post so please be patient as I update this as often as I can.

The car began as a 99 coupe. I purchased the car after it had already had the widebody kit installed, however it was a little rough.

My intentions for the vehicle are to make a fun/reliable daily driver, as updated as possible but with the 22b appearance.

Here are pics of the car from the original add. Some of you might recognize it, it's been sold on this forum more than once.

https://m.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/24490215005/

I'm having trouble uploading pictures directly to this site so I will have to post links until I figure out a solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Current mod list

Body:
99 coupe shell with a fiberglass widebody kit
22b replica front bumper
22b replica hood vents
Jdm tail lights

Interior:
2014 dash and center counsel swap with all electronics
2014 sti seats
99rs door cards

Wiring:
Full 2014 sti car harness merged at the lights and doors
Push button trunk release mounted in rear bumper

Suspension:
Complete 2005 sti stock suspension including
Front and rear crossmembers
Front and rear spindles
Rear lateral links
Front control arms

Brakes:
2005 sti brembos
2005 master cylinder and booster
2014 sti abs pump
Stainless braided lines
99 rs brake and clutch pedal

Driveline:
2014 sti engine
2014 sti dccd 6 speed
2014 sti rear diff
05 sti driveshaft
05 sti cv shafts
2014 sti throttle pedal

current pics as the car sits today

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first thing I started with was turning the car back into a street car. prior to my ownership the trunk floor was removed, so I replaced it with one from a 2004 sti

Paul Benish has shared 10 photos with you!

After that I fiberglassed the rear wheel wells to help support the fiberglass widebody panels to help prevent cracking and separation again, and fill in the horrible gap between the old and new panels

Paul Benish has shared 10 photos with you!

Then i stripped it down and brought it to my friends for body work

More pics of body work

Paul Benish has shared 6 photos with you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After searching for some time I finally found the perfect donor car, a 2014 sti hatchback. it had been rolled over at only 12,000 miles

Then I stripped the '14 and cut up the remainder

By this time I had the 99 back from my friends and started pulling the 14' harness through and mocking up the dash to see what I was getting myself into

After realizing there is no way to run the 2014 suspension I also bought a donor 2005 STI and swapped the suspension onto the GC, the red L pictured is my first GC.

Next came brake lines and more wire routing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/Z05149

Then I dropped in the 14' engine and trans

After realizing the 14' rear Brembos won't bolt up to the '05 spindles, I bolted up the 05' Brembos and stainless lines

After a ton of work the dash was finally ready to bolt in

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
So awesome. How much fab work did you end up having to do with the dash beam fitment, HVAC, center console and stuff?

Also curious if you've placed in a front seat yet to see how the positioning is.

Very refreshing to see something new tackled!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was quite a bit of work to get it in there. I believe it would have been easier had I done the firewall modifications but because it was already painted I chose to use the 99rs hvac boxes. The beam needed modification to be mounted on each end to bolt to the car, at the center to clear the heater box, and where the steering column mounted to it because the firewall/beam angle wasn't exactly centered after assembly. There was some trimming here and there as well, and after all that I rewelded In some metal where I had space to give it strength back. If I were to do it again it would be much cleaner and easier but at least it's functional. I only have the defroster connected at the moment, the control modifications are future plans.

I have mounted the seats, I just don't have a picture of them in there apparently. I've already driven it actually, I'm still working on getting the journal to catch up with my progress with the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How are you going to get the auto climate control '14 to work with the heater box and fan control? Auto vs manual controls = not easy to meld. You'd somehow have to adapt the '14 actuators to the 99 box.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,660 Posts
Very cool, I love the newer STi's dash and interior. I want one now!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments :)

I have yet to adapt the controls. The 99 used manual cable pulled levers where the 14' uses electrically controlled motors to move the levers. I haven't decided which route I want to take, but I have pretty much two options. Base 08-14 imprezas also have cable controlled hvac boxes, I could use the base impreza controls which fit my dash and connect them directly to my 99 hvac boxes. Or I retain the sti controls and modify the motors to pull cables which in turn move the levers.
Even harder than making the controls work is making the actual vent system between the 99 boxes and the 14 dash.

However these are all future plans, right now I'm trying to make it a complete driveable car. As of now I have the 99 hvac box set on heat and in defrost on the windows, using the vent from the 99 and screwing it to the car separate from the dash, and then placed the dash over it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the wiring went, I used the whole 14' harness so that 90% of everything like the engine, dash, and computers were plug and play. When it came down to things like the lights, windshield wipers, and door controls I just merged them to the 99 harness plugs and plugged them in. One cool adaptation that I've finished was using the electronic 14' hatch release to pull the trunk release cable on the 99. I then mounted the button from above the license plate on the 14' into the bumper right above the liscense plate on the 99. For some reason the trunk release on the key fob still doesn't work but at this point the button is still much more convenient than the original 99 release.

·
Registered
1999 RSTI Rally Red(Evo color)
99 Posts
You make me want to throw my STI swap in the trash. I didn't know you could get the GR dash in the car. I hate myself. Awesome job.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, it means a lot to hear these comments from members on here.
I haven't seen a gr dash swapped before to be honest. It has its gaps like any other dash swap, I'm going to add more pictures of them when I put the doorcards on and get closer to the finish. After I put the seats and cards on to test fitment and drive it I pulled them back out so they don't get damaged while I continue working, I should have snapped some pics, the gr sti seats look great in there.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,136 Posts
Very neat! Glad this is happening. Wish It was plausable to do while keep the RS dash and such.

Sooon though.. sooooooon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to member zkilla pictures are now viewable in the thread, thanks buddy. I'll be posting more pics and info soon..

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,639 Posts
I noticed that the 08+ dash sweeps into the door cards kinda like the older 93-97 style dashes, how is the gap gonna be between the dash and the door cards?

Very cool with being the first 08+ engine and dash swap in a GC!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Using the 98-01 door cards there's no conflict for space between the dash and cards, there's actually a gap. I would agree it is more like the older 93-97 dash in respect to the door cards. I'll post pictures as soon as I can of the dash/card gaps. It's all torn apart at the moment, again..

Thanks for all the interest and positive comments. I won't claim to be the first, and I've actually had the dash in for a few months now. I figured it was time to post it, even though the car isn't completely done yet.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts