Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some opinions on this. I found a 99 rs which was totalled out by the insurance company. The car was hit on the passenger front, blowing both airbags. It has slight damage to the frame, and needs new bumper,fender, door, skirt and probably suspention parts. The engine and tranny are fine so I am told. The guy got his money and now wants to sell the car for $3000, but he said that he is flexable. I'll try to put a picture up. Thanks all

-Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally would never buy a wrecked car, as nothing will ever fit right again, and it could be more dangerous in a second accident.

Plus, it could nickle and dime you to death if you don't get a great shop to fix it. Other than that, what's the estimate for repairs? Is it that much less than a non-wrecked one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea if he got a quote to fix it, all I know is that he got close to 10K from the insurance company and decieded not to put it into the car. I can't imagine if I pick it up for maybe 2K that it would cost more than the car is worth to get it rolling again. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
My friend bought one that had been rolled and now you can't tell it was the same car.

Just depends on if you are willing to put the money into it. I don't think that looks too bad, but you can't see what it did to the frame, etc.

Interesting that he took a shot of it right after the accident....noticed that is an ambulance in the background!!:eek:

Call around to see if you can find the needed parts..how much and how much to paint them, etc...that might tell you if it is worth it.

Heck the guy could part the body out now and make some money too!!!

Tina

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just look at it from the driver's side, and never from the passenger's side and it will all be fine...

:D

In all seriousness, I'm with RS25 on this one. It looks like a case of 1) you will have to put serious money into getting it fixed up, and 2) you'll keep finding "surprises" down the line...i.e. more things to fix.

As to what Rallychic said, I'd only like to point out that a car that has rolled over usually has mainly body damage (exterior, A-pillar, etc...) while this one looks like it tried to get it on with a mack truck from the side - engine damage, frame damage, etc...

On the bright side: one headlamp still works!

gone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres another pic. Basically the gerneral opinion is that is is probably not worth it in the long run. I appreciate the comments everyone. I was just hoping I could get another subaru without spending big bucks, but by the sounds of it I would be anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you drive it around to make sure the engine -trans is ok? Body work doesn't look to bad at all!! Biggest $$$$ airbags,door,fender, bumper, headlight. See what it was written off for. Get dirty and see if or what on the suspension is broken. With the damage that I see, quickly estimate $4 - 5,000 to fix including paint and frame work. Look into used parts maybe able to save alot of $$$$, also are you going to work on it yourself as a project can save money as well. Also depends on the mileage of car. See if you can pick it up for 1500-2000. worst case PART IT OUT.
Joel

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don't get involved in the car. First off is that if you ever want to resell the car it will have being a salvaged vehicle in its history to drag down the value. Second is that what the others have said is true. The car will never be the same again.
If you really wanted a GC8 then I suggest getting a Impreza L AWD and swapping a GC8 WRX front clip onto it. That way you've got a turbo AWD GC8 and the WRX front end. Its cheaper to get the older front end GC8s though so keep that in mind.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
What about buying it and swapping the engine/tranny/suspension parts that are still good into an Impreza L, you can get those pretty cheap. Just another option you could look into.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
HondaH8er said:
What about buying it and swapping the engine/tranny/suspension parts that are still good into an Impreza L, you can get those pretty cheap. Just another option you could look into.
EXACTLY, then you pay insurance on an L, and have the interior and drivetrain of an RS. BTW if you get an L from the same model year car. The harness SHOULD just swap right over without mods.
(aslong as its coupe to coupe, 4dr to 4dr etc)

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
I'd buy it for no more $2400.
Frame work is your biggest obstacle. Look around for used parts or discounted OEM replacements from some jobber warehouse. Sure, it won't ride like a new RS ever again, but that won't matter if you plan to lower, road race, or rally the thing. Hell, if I my project wagon and sedan were done I'd pick that RS up. I could use a coupe in my Impreza collection.
Check with some really good local shops and see what kind of ballpark figure they can give you on a job like that.

·
Registered
Leg 3.6R, FXT, XV, BRZ
325 Posts
Shoot I'd buy it! Perfect start for a rally car! So what if it's not 100%, purchase for $3K, repair for say $5K-$6K, less than $9K it would be a fun car to drive!

If you don't want it provide me the contact info please.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would get it....

......but then again I used to work at body shops.

You will definately need a lower control arm and a strut. Maybe a rack & pinion too. Your ABS unit may be destroyed because that's were it goes. The ABS unit is God-awful expensive.

It is repairable. I would say that if you can locate all used parts for it, you should be able to get it fixed for about $3,000-$3,500.

$4,500 at the most. That said, you would have an RS for $7,500 out the door. Sounds like a great deal to me. Remember though that you will have a salvage title and you can't trade it in later. Dealers don't take salvaged cars. You would have to sell it private party.

I'd say go for it and find an honest shop to do the work. If the frame still strait, you could do a lot of the work yourself.

Regards, ARG

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Where is the car?? I would be interested in parts from it. My 90 legacy sure could use a 2.5 and a good rear diff.

sean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well is you get it for 2K, think of it like this. Some Impreza L guy might pay you 1K for the engine and tranny, you could sell the wheels to just about any RS owner for about 400-500. But then there are other things you could part out. So for individual parts that car is worth about 1800 bucks, if not more. I wouldn't say it was worth 3K but 2K is about right. James was right though, who knows what kind of structural damage has been done. For all you know there could be stress fractures throughout the frame! But if you were building this for a bad ass race/rally car then I'd say GO FOR IT!

H

·
0 Posts
If you buy all of the parts you MIGHT get the body work done for another $4k, but there's no way that thing is going back to like-new for anywhere under ~$10k. Insurance companies don't total cars unless it's cheaper to scrap it than to repair it.

Think of it this way -
headlight - cheapest you'll get it is ~$120 unless you go used/ebay.
front bumper kit - ~$500 ?
Front fender - $130ish?
ABS unit? wow. Expensive
radiator.
turn signal
grill
intake
hood
airbags
steering wheel
dash (or whatever it is that needs to be replaced to seal up the passenger airbag
front suspension
steering rack
who knows how that wheel is
cv shaft?
It's gotta go on the frame rack and get pulled out
Plus there's probably a bunch of fabrication that has to be done where mounting points get AFU.
My Bronco was $2k just to get the front bumper pulled out 2". That was just a fender, bumper, and frame alignment & paint.

Best bet is to get it for a couple thousand and swap the good stuff over to an older shell if you want a 2.5. Or sell the motor and tranny and do the WRX swap, but you're better off skipping the RS if you do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts