Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS Silver Mileage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a fully loaded 99 RS, even has the stock subwoofer under the back seat. Nice car! The only problem is it needs a motor. It's throwing the p0304 code. My initial thought was a burnt valve, which is common with these 2.5's, but the leak down test revealed that it has 85psi in cylinder 4, and ringland issues. So I'm doing a swap!

I got quoted $1,400 for a JDM 2.5 SOHC that the company said would be plug and play, but I'm more interested in getting a 96-98 JDM EJ20 turbo for the swap.

Just trying to figure out exactly what this would entail. I've searched here and on NASIOC, looked at a ton of swaps for the newer EJ20's out of the WRX in detail, but none have really told me what this swap would require.

Help? Has anyone done this? You guys rock.

·
Registered
99 RS Silver Mileage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
read the stickies at the top of this section ;)
haha I know, I'm new to this forum but not to forums in general. I've read probably 8 pages into every sticky on this forum. No specific answers were directed, but I assume I'd have to get one with a JDM harness and merge them.

This is why I'm going to build a turbo block and re-use my heads. :devil:d

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, you'll have to do a harness merge. There's a USDM WRX parts list thread floating around somewhere. For the most part, you'll need the same stuff plus whatever ends up not coming with the engine (misc small parts).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want to say pre version 7 jdm engines are obd I, so they won't pass it unless you have a 93-96 Impreza (or whenever they switched them to obd II in the US). Version 7+ are obd II, but don't communicate well with certain obd II readers--some pass some don't. From what I know, you can do some easy part swapping in order to pass the inspection and then swap back. I've never really looked into it for myself though since my state doesn't have emissions testing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.