Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finally another update

Picking up the story towards the end of 2018.

After taking home a trophy at Subiefest for "Fastest NA-AWD", the car sat in the warehouse for several months.
Speedventures does a yearly summer event at Laguna Seca, so I quickly signed up for June 2019. In order to really get ready for track action, a few parts were ordered.

-Wilwood 6 piston front brake kit with 2-piece rotors
-Wilwood 4 piston rear brake kit with 2-piece rotors
-Whiteline front and rear end link set
-Whiteline roll center adjusting tie rods and ball joints
-Whiteline rear sway bar mounts for 22mm bar
-WRX 17mm rear sway bar
-Whiteline front strut tower bar
-Cusco rear strut tower bar
-Injen cold air intake
-PST carbon fiber driveshaft
-Inferno Fab headers and J pipe
-Delicious Tuning "Spork" ECU programmer
-(2) Griffin radiators
-(3) Setrab coolers for oil, power steering, misc

Also dusted off the TIG welder and fabricated chromoly rear suspension links with heavy duty rod ends, and spindle-mounted aluminum front brake ducts.

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Some pics from the track event at Laguna Seca.

As these things go, ran out of time before the event to install all of the parts. Installing a custom radiator, and plumbing/installing an oil cooler properly were going to require quite a few hours of fab work so they didn’t get done. The Injen intake didn’t fit easily, so it went to the end of the line. The headers were low priority along with the straight-piped mid section, so didn’t get installed. Lastly the “Spork” tuner requires a Bluetooth laptop and downloading ECU data, sending to Delicious Tuning, then uploading a tune. No time for that, and didn’t want to risk a bricked ECU just days before an event.

Loaded the car into the enclosed trailer on Saturday morning, along with several bins of supplies, tool chest, generator, air compressor, and pit setup. Hit the road from LA and headed to Laguna Seca.

Six hours later arrived at the track in time to drop off the trailer and head to the Hyatt Regency just a few miles from the track. The hotel was glad to offer oversize parking for truck and trailer after the event, so that’s a definite plus.

Overall the car did great on track. Didn’t even get to bed the brake pads until just before my first session, by driving around the perimeter road. The Wilwood PolyMatrix compound H race-only pads had zero fade all day. The caliper temp strips didn’t even register on the low scale, so I may need to use a lower temp range. Was able to brake later than anybody in my run groups, so while most (if not all) the cars had a horsepower advantage, passes on the inside of turns weren't too difficult.
Oil temps were getting to 250º after about 4 laps, and stayed there for the rest of the ~10 laps per session. Definitely need to get a cooler on there.
The Advan A052’s worked great in the 75º weather, and never got greasy pushing hard every 20 minute session. Outside edges looked fine with 2.5 degrees of front camber, although the inside grooves did get a bit feathered. No chunking due to the track focused design.

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just getting back to these forums. Man do they look different, and not at all for the better!

Haven't posted since a very disappointing Subiefest AutoX event in 2019. Showed up early and prepared with my pit equipment and autocross Hoosiers, only to encounter a very cramped pit area where I couldn't even put up the canopy and the track surface was extremely dirty with loose asphalt/gravel that had the tires spinning and sliding around the entire course. Way too short of a lap too, under 30 seconds for most. Had to be in by 8am, but our group didn't run until the afternoon so we just baked in the SoCal sun all day.
Even with the tires sliding on gravel going into each braking zone, and understeering due to me using a poor choice of tire for the conditions, managed to barely pull out a win for the NA category. Not too far off from overall fastest time either. Lesson learned on tire choice, although the organizer could also plan ahead and clean up the course.

Leading up to the event I found a small coolant leak, which turned out to be from the water pump. So took care of new water pump and timing belt. Also had time after the Laguna Seca event to install the intake and headers, and get the Hoosiers mounted on an extra set of RPF1's. Almost forgot to switch out the race pads for autocross pads, so got that done the day before but got too lazy to bleed the lines.

New headers have much better clearance around the oil filter. Very high quality work by Inferno Fab, and better sound than the Borla.

Intake wrapped with DEI gold foil, and still more engine bay clean-up to do.

Not the right choice for loose surfaces!

Rolling up to the event early, to get the car out of the trailer and hopefully be towards the front of the staging line for a good pit spot.

A lot of effort for this little thing!

Need to find the rest of the pictures and video from the event.

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Picked up a new toy, and will probably use this one to tow the track car to local events.

2020 Raptor. Already have Cobb stage 1 and transmission control reflash. So much quicker than my STi, and don't have to worry about dips or driveways!

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Small update.

One of the upgrades for this year to improve traction and make sure all 4 tires are pulling through turns.

And a shot I found online from Subiefest last year, on the way to a fastest lap for the N/A class. This year the car has more power, more traction, less weight. :)

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So little time these days for the 2.5RS. With Subiefest on again for this year, the car needs to be put back together with numerous lightweight parts.

Instead of working on the track car, been having fun driving the new toy in the canyons and revving to 9k!

GT3

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Slow going on this! Between enjoying my other cars, raising two little kids, and getting the RSTI to the paint shop for new bodywork and a full color change, so little time for the track car.

Current state, which needs to change ASAP by the time Subiefest comes around. Original dash and doors not going back on, along with some other goodies if time allows...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts