Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing an rs but i'm nto sure which of the two to buy. If i went with the 99' I could find one for $11,000 but if I bought a 01' with the same features it would cost around $17,000. Is the price difference really worth it? Are there any reasonable reasons to buy the 01' over the 99'? With the extrea cash I could strap on a supercharger and get a new clutch and still have more money for a CAI or something, please help, thanx

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
00 has a rear LSD, 99 doesn't.

00 has a MAP sensor, 99 has a more delicate MAF sensor.

99 has a DOHC engine, while 00 has SOHC engine. The peak power differences between the two is very small (SOHC having more), but the SOHC delivers a much flatter powerband, with almost twice the torque available at lower RPM's, as compared to the DOHC. Also, some of the DOHC engines have head gasket problems.

00 should have lower milage on it compared to a 99.

Personally, I think the 00-01 are better than the 98-99, but the difference isn't huge, and they are all god cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a 00' I probably won't be able to buy it until i graduate this summer though. It seems a lot of people here are from oregon, that's really kool, one of my best friends owns a 01' rs and says he never sees anyothers on the street.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could but I won't be able to afford anything until I graduate, it says he lives in Colorodo anyways, and i want a manual lol :D

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
only the 98 has DOHC...

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
DanzBorin said:
only the 98 has DOHC...
I thought at least some 99's had the DOHC, too. Or do they have the Phase I block with the Phase II SOHC heads? MY99 always confuses me, it's like a Frankensubie or something....

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
HondaH8er said:
I thought at least some 99's had the DOHC, too. Or do they have the Phase I block with the Phase II SOHC heads? MY99 always confuses me, it's like a Frankensubie or something....
Only a tiny few have the DOHC, Not very likely you'll find one...

The 99 is a strange breed, as is the 98... This is when the RS was struggling to find its place... Oh, wait, it still is...

dumb US WRX...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts