Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or have seen an Impreza L's motor? Do they have MAF's like the RS (2.5L) or an MAP like the 00+ RS's?

Thanks this is driving me wacky (short trip I know)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow so they made two styles of intakes and ECU's just for Cali? That sounds strange, you learn something new every day. Is there something on the VIN to indicate this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
peaty,

kermit is exactly right California emission EJ22 L and OBS manufactured after 07/98 (99 MY) are MAP equipped. Then the all 2000s and 2001s are MAP also. No particular digit in the VIN and tell you but if you send me the last 8 of the VIN I can punch it into the Subaru system to check.

Troy

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car was made 6/98 it's an Impreza L and it has an MAP for sure here are the last 8 of the vin:

XG500134

If you could check it out I'd be much abliged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Peaty,

Your 99 Silverthorn Metallic Sedan w/ 5spd MT is a Cal Emission car w/ a 07/98 date of mfg. It was originally sold in Fairfax VA.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Have a Good Turkey Day.

Troy

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly wanted to know. Another thing to be thankful for, helpful people.

Cheers and happy turkey day,

·
Registered
JDM Sti Version 5 GC8 conversi
15 Posts
99 L mechanic nightmare engine install issue

Ok. I need some input from the RS 2.5 community.

We had a 99 2.2 L california emission impreza (Supposedly has MAP as stated in the beginning of this thread). The engine in it died so we got a replacement engine. A 00 RS 2.5 engine that had 75,000 miles on it that came with a 6 month warranty.

We got the car towed to a well known Subaru tuning shop (name is being omitted until we find out what actually was the problem) in NJ. A simple engine swap needed to be performed.The 00 RS 2.5 L engine got shipped there and installed. They used the 2.2 intake manifold from the 99L and mated it to the 00' RS 2.5L engine.

The tuning shop then tried to the crank the motor and it didn't idle. They said they compression tested the motor and on one of the cylinders they got low compression and that's why it wouldn't idle for more than a couple seconds. They said the engine was a bad one and they recommended getting a new one shipped to them. The problem was blamed on the 00' RS 2.5 engine that was shipped to them.

$1275 later with nothing to show for it with a freshly installed supposedlybeat engine in it.

The car then got towed to my family's mechanic.

***Here is the current situation as of today***

He found out that the 99L is a california emission car. He suspects that the cam sprocket sensor on one of the cylinders isn't syncing up right since it is from a federal emission car (00' RS 2.5L) and is mating to a california emission ecu (99 2.2L california compliant). He checked the compression and he stated that it was getting good numbers across the board. He said he ordered a different cam sprocket sensor for a 99 2.2L california spec impreza.

Does anyone want to give input on the situation at hand and what needs to be done to get this engine running?

-Jay K

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
why didnt you just swap everything? why make a hybrid?

i have a 99l btw and its the 'cali whatever stupidity thing' so yes it has a map sensor

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
yeah, you need to call East Coast Swappers and give them the info you gave here and see what they think. they will know more about this than most people.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In reply to svek: Why swap the complete wiring and pull out the ecu and engine loom if it isn't really needed. This isn't a high performance swap.

In reply to Bootleg: I will give them a call tomorrow. Ty for the tip.

·
Banned
RHD Mafia
1,263 Posts
jkjersey said:
In reply to svek: Why swap the complete wiring and pull out the ecu and engine loom if it isn't really needed. This isn't a high performance swap.

In reply to Bootleg: I will give them a call tomorrow. Ty for the tip.
Well, we do not specialize in NA swaps, but I can tell you that nearly every 99 L I've seen has been MAP based.

California Emissions compliant doesn't mean that a car isn't federally compliant as well. The car should idle fine with a bad cam angle sensor as well. Without the correct crank angle sensor (which is identical across the NA motor range) the car won't start.

Sounds to me like a vacuum/ignition issue.

-James @ ECS

·
Registered
15 Posts
The mechanic said that upon his research and consulting with a local subaru parts dealership that with 99 L (california emission) on one of the sides there is a different cam angle sensor than on the 00 RS engine. On the other side of the 2.2L the cam angle sensor matches up with the 00 RS cam angle sensor. That is so odd subaru made it different. Hopefully when the new cam angle sensor arrives it will just be a plug and play issue and the mechanic will be one step further along in the troubleshooting process. Why would Subaru have a different cam angle sensor for just the 99 L (california emission)?

·
Registered
00 STi, 93 LG SS
2,394 Posts
T-WRX450 said:
Peaty,

Your 99 Silverthorn Metallic Sedan w/ 5spd MT is a Cal Emission car w/ a 07/98 date of mfg. It was originally sold in Fairfax VA.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Have a Good Turkey Day.

Troy

Why have I not seen your car????

·
Registered
15 Posts
UPDATE: here is the page that has the cam sprocket info for a 99 notice the two different part numbers for camshaft no. 2.

The camshaft sprocket for camshaft no. 2 on a 2000 RS 2.5L (EJ251) which the engine is installed in there now is 13019AA041.

Now in the link I posted
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=5&year=1999&style=RS&body=sedan&scn=0&category=013-1

It has two different numbers for the 2.2 L. I am calling subaruparts.com to get further clarification between the two cam sprockets for 1999 2.2L tomorrow. ***I'm assuming if the engine didn't start it is part number 13019AA041 for camshaft no. 2 which came with the 2000 2.5L and in actuality it needed a 13019AA051 camshaft sprocket for camshaft no. 2***

Could it hold true that a different camshaft sprocket could cause the engine not to run at all correct being that the ECU could expect different sync signals?

·
Banned
RHD Mafia
1,263 Posts
jkjersey said:
UPDATE: here is the page that has the cam sprocket info for a 99 notice the two different part numbers for camshaft no. 2.

The camshaft sprocket for camshaft no. 2 on a 2000 RS 2.5L (EJ251) which the engine is installed in there now is 13019AA041.

Now in the link I posted
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=5&year=1999&style=RS&body=sedan&scn=0&category=013-1

It has two different numbers for the 2.2 L. I am calling subaruparts.com to get further clarification between the two cam sprockets for 1999 2.2L tomorrow. ***I'm assuming if the engine didn't start it is part number 13019AA041 for camshaft no. 2 which came with the 2000 2.5L and in actuality it needed a 13019AA051 camshaft sprocket for camshaft no. 2***

Could it hold true that a different camshaft sprocket could cause the engine not to run at all correct being that the ECU could expect different sync signals?

There are a number of parts which are different, yet have the same part number. Subaru frequently updates old part numbers without actually changing the part itself. That said, it is still possible there is actually a different sensor for the SOHC 2.5 as opposed to the 2.2 - I doubt it, but can't say for sure.

There is only 1 cam sensor, though, on the driver's side head. When these go bad in my experience (I've seen 2 on WRX motors) the ECU will fail to pull timing toward redline, but other than that the car will run fine.

any CELs?

-James @ ECS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well in the end the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket is what the car needed. For anyone that does a federal emission engine swap into a car with a california emission car regarding imprezas at least on the 1999 L model year they will require a california 2.2 crank sprocket and a california 2.2 cam sprocket. When the needed "correct" parts were installed the engine cranked over but ran horribly. This was due to to a spark plug issue explained below.

The 00 RS 2.5 L engine had colder spark plugs installed and didn't idle correctly because the ecu for the 2.2L is tuned for a spark plug that run 2 stages hotter.

Diagrams constructed for the swap of the different sprockets can be seen here-
Crank Sprocket Differences Pic

Cam Sprocket Differences Pic

The swap was successfully completed by Amtec Automotive located in Hammonton, NJ. Thanks to Dan (the owner) he figured out what the well known Subaru tuning shop couldn't.

I am calling the tuning shop for their explanation of why I was lied to that the compression was bad on one of the cylinders and why they stated the engine was bad.

Engine Swap Completed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts