Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
04WRX -295whp, 03WRX Wgn stock
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of changing the clutch on my 1999 Impreza L (2.2L). I've been following the FSM as well as this DIY guide (http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t128163-diy-clutch-replacement-pictorial.html)

I've got the trans and engine separated and the new clutch flywheel and pressure plate installed. Now I'm trying to install the throwout bearing before putting the trans and engine back together, but I can't get the throw out bearing clipped to the clutch fork. I've got the TSK1 snout repair kit (TSK1 Snout Repair Kit for select non-turbo 5MT Legacy/Impreza/Forester - SubaruWRXparts.com) on the input shaft so I've got an oversize throwout bearing. The new bearing and clip that I've got look identical to the old one that I with the snout repair kit when I first ordered it, but I can't get it to clip to the clutch fork. Any help here?

·
Registered
04WRX -295whp, 03WRX Wgn stock
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got it. I removed the clutch fork which made it somewhat easier. Even with the fork removed it was still a pain to pry the clip over the clutch fork. It just kept springing off every time I tried to get it on. Finally I got lucky and was able to get it in place.

For anyone reading this in the future, the method I used (with the clutch fork off) was to take the clip off the throwout bearing and clip it in place on the fork. Then I slide one side of the bearing into the clip and while holding the other side in place pried the clip over the other side of the bearing with pliers. This still wasn't easy but like I said eventually I got luck and got it on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts