Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is actually for my brother who owns a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS. But he wanted me to type it for him.

About 2 months ago, he thought he blew my engine. The engine leaked out all of the anti-freeze and he ran the car hot. he was late for work, so he drove the car like that. Bad idea. Smoke was everywhere. He took it to a shop and they told him it was the head gaskets. Well instead of paying someone to do it, we decided we would take off the heads ourselves and just get the whole engine rebuilt. Its the orignal engine and it has 170,000 miles on it. After a few weeks of working on that bad boy, we got the heads off and the gaskets were fine. NO cracks or anything :confused: . So we took out the rest of the block. We were looking all over the place for someone to rebuild the engine. No luck. So his only other alternative was to buy a whole new engine. Well he came upon a 1999 Subaru Forester 2.5 DOHC. now from my understanding of the car, its a Sohc (I could be wrong) Heres where my concern lies. Im not sure if it will work. Its a DOHC, how hard is it to swap? Are the wiring harnesses different? Has anyone done this swap before? Is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
I think that the DOHC 2.5 motor is the same as the 98 Impreza DOHC...but I'm nto sure.

This sounds like an excellant time for your friend to swap his car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats what we're thinking. We can pick up the engine tomorrow. The thing is, we're not sure if its really a huge deal to swap (since we're both novice mechanics) and/or the wiring for the engine is different. If its different, then we'll both be lost and the car will never get running.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
Three times the headache. You're forgetting how much a swapset + cost of splicing cost, etc etc but if he plans on doing in the long run, sure now is the right time but 3-4g minimum is required to have around to be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
derekthecynic said:
Three times the headache. You're forgetting how much a swapset + cost of splicing cost, etc etc but if he plans on doing in the long run, sure now is the right time but 3-4g minimum is required to have around to be safe.
Oh ok. def. dont want to do that. He needs a replacement engine ASAP. he's been using my car. So he may just order a rebuilt engine I think from Florida or something,

InsatiableAmos said:
No no. Get a wrx engine. Or some turbo JDM thing.

Prolly the same price, same trouble, double the power.
Well there a shop around here that actually has a JDM WRX engine. But the owner of the shop told my brother that the wiring was a headache and that it wouldnt pass emissisons. And since the car would be a daily driver, the engine wouldnt work for us.

And thanks guys for all the help. I guess we'll just keep looking around.

·
SlowerUglierCooler
91 Legacy, 08 Honda Fit
2,584 Posts
Hold up.

99 Foresters don't have DOHC EJ25's. They have EJ253s. SOHC.

If you're looking at a DOHC motor, it's from a 98 Forester. If you don't like replacing headgaskets, then DEFINITELY don't get that engine. That's the headgasket-blowing mastAr.

Not to mention it will be harder to swap a DOHC engine in place of your current SOHC engine.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
so.... what car are we talking about... the Impreza or the Forester????
Impreza needs new engine, or Forester?

The only 2.5L DOHC are the '99 Outbacks. All others, 2.5RS, Forester are SOHC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FuJi K said:
so.... what car are we talking about... the Impreza or the Forester????
Impreza needs new engine, or Forester?

The only 2.5L DOHC are the '99 Outbacks. All others, 2.5RS, Forester are SOHC.
We're talking about the Impreza that needs the new engine. The forester engine came up becuase my brother found one from a 99 Forester. But we were told that it was a DOHC engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts