Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
shush girlllllll
98 coupe /w 99 GF8 swap
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded cars with a guy who had done a jdm wrx swap in his 98 coupe.

After doing some research I found out that it's a 99/00 jdm ej205 out of a wrx wagon. Not one of the more popular swaps so it's not easy to find info on.

I found this:

And from that i can see it has a higher compression ratio than the wrx or sti of the same year (9:1 vs 8:1)

My plan was to get a v5/v6 sti ecu and vf-28 so that I wouldn't need to do any extra tuning...but i imagine if i want to keep it reliable i would in this case?

Looking for as much information as i can get on this engine so I can figure out what my options are in terms of power down the line, or at least some good resources where I could find the info myself.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
205 is a good motor. A 28 and sti ecu will not take 9.0:1 on pump gas.

You need to find a retuned ecu. I know that the Mine's tune WILL work with 93 octane. In fact, I thought I saw one on Nasioc today.

·
shush girlllllll
98 coupe /w 99 GF8 swap
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I only have 91 where I live.

Would you say it'd be smart to get lower compression pistons and a tune with a bigger turbo? Or would I be fine with just a tune and bigger turbo.

I would've gone vf-28 because it's the stock turbo for that gen sti..but if i gotta go all the way i'd probably get something bigger like an 18g.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
You gotta commit to a power goal and powerband.
High rpms= low comp, big turbo
low torque- high comp, smallerish turbo
midrange- basically what you have now.

·
shush girlllllll
98 coupe /w 99 GF8 swap
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huh ok wow great info thanks man!

this stuff sounds so obvious now that you've put it into word but i've never been able to think up the implications on my own.

guess i'll start with looking for tuning options around here.

·
Sooooo JDM :)
00' Impreza STi Ver 6 Type-R
558 Posts
I'm the guy with the Mine's ECU :)

FWIW, when I popped the original motor in my Ver 6, I replaced it with a 205 from a JDM Forester (SF5). Reason being, a 60,000 km SF5 engine (~40k miles) ran me ~$220 shipped out here :). Hard to justify $800 or so for the equivalent STi engine especially considering it's likely to have been ragged on for the last 10 years. I figured if I popped 4 of these 205's then I'd break even... :p

So I swapped my cams, valve springs, manifolds, ETC off the 207 over to the 205. Digging through my Subie parts CD, I found out they have the same block, crank, rods and oil pump. The heads were actually the same "big port" casting used on the Ver 7 (GDB). Turbo on my 207 was the standard VF28 but that was replaced with a Forced Performance HTA68 when the 205 went in the car. She's been running strong for the last 9 months or so, 180-190 compression across the board as of last month.

Compression is 9.0:1. I feed my car "base gas", which is 93 octane (R+M/2). Boost was 1 bar on the Mine's ECU and is now 1.2 with my Power FC. Using my HKS knock monitor, I never got any audible detonation and it's a sensitive mic.

Lesson learned from my popped 207...

TMIC +
1 bar boost +
7000~8000 RPM for ~2 minutes in 5th gear (4.44 JDM gears)
...all while racing you're buddy's long legged JZA80 Supra down the Wangan is a sure fire way to lose a rod bearing :crazy: But... GC8 FTMFW!!!

Oh yeah, OEM oil cooler at that time :mamoru:

Oh yeah, and still on temporary plates because I had only owned it for a week and a half...

Momentary lapse of judgment, I knew better. I thought I was driving my Pulsar GTi-R (with the SR20DET that apparently Satan had a hand in developing). Cause it did that for 2 years solid and still runs like a scalded cat. But I digress... :lol:

Anyways, if you are looking for options I have both a Mine's ECU and a Power FC for sale that will work like a champ in your car. If I can help you out with any JDM 205 tech, let me know. They are a solid engine.

Ryan

·
shush girlllllll
98 coupe /w 99 GF8 swap
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hm i'm guessing the mine's ecu was tuned specifically for 93?

for these pre obd-II cars it seems like the dilemma is that there aren't really any relatively inexpensive tuning options for someone who isn't looking for gobs of power. it's pretty much go hard or go home.

but yea i did already have your power fc in mind. maybe the glory of it is that it will still sell for a lot after i'm done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any 1 no what bhp a standered subaru impreza 99 gf8 205 Fuji hatch back would be plz and what there worth

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm the guy with the Mine's ECU :)

FWIW, when I popped the original motor in my Ver 6, I replaced it with a 205 from a JDM Forester (SF5). Reason being, a 60,000 km SF5 engine (~40k miles) ran me ~$220 shipped out here :). Hard to justify $800 or so for the equivalent STi engine especially considering it's likely to have been ragged on for the last 10 years. I figured if I popped 4 of these 205's then I'd break even... :p

So I swapped my cams, valve springs, manifolds, ETC off the 207 over to the 205. Digging through my Subie parts CD, I found out they have the same block, crank, rods and oil pump. The heads were actually the same "big port" casting used on the Ver 7 (GDB). Turbo on my 207 was the standard VF28 but that was replaced with a Forced Performance HTA68 when the 205 went in the car. She's been running strong for the last 9 months or so, 180-190 compression across the board as of last month.

Compression is 9.0:1. I feed my car "base gas", which is 93 octane (R+M/2). Boost was 1 bar on the Mine's ECU and is now 1.2 with my Power FC. Using my HKS knock monitor, I never got any audible detonation and it's a sensitive mic.

Lesson learned from my popped 207...

TMIC +
1 bar boost +
7000~8000 RPM for ~2 minutes in 5th gear (4.44 JDM gears)
...all while racing you're buddy's long legged JZA80 Supra down the Wangan is a sure fire way to lose a rod bearing :crazy: But... GC8 FTMFW!!!

Oh yeah, OEM oil cooler at that time :mamoru:

Oh yeah, and still on temporary plates because I had only owned it for a week and a half...

Momentary lapse of judgment, I knew better. I thought I was driving my Pulsar GTi-R (with the SR20DET that apparently Satan had a hand in developing). Cause it did that for 2 years solid and still runs like a scalded cat. But I digress... :lol:

Anyways, if you are looking for options I have both a Mine's ECU and a Power FC for sale that will work like a champ in your car. If I can help you out with any JDM 205 tech, let me know. They are a solid engine.

Ryan
Yo do u no what version my gf8 99 Fuji industry ej205 is plz and standered bhp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts