Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at a point were I can finnaly say F--- the Hondas I want to be different. Plus my accord took a dump on me. Any how I have a conection at the autp auction and I have put the word out for a 98RS.
Just a few questions though, Is the 98 a better engine than say the 01? I know I wont be able to afford a car any higher than 8k and hell for 8K id buy an 04 Elentra with low miles.
I only plan on getting the suub to drive it not pretend im speed racer. I like the idea of a small coupe AWD 5 speed with a 2.5L DOHC(quad). Am I better off getting the SOHC's? :yapyap:

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
The 98 engines had a problem with blowing head gaskets. An 00-01 is better considering they are MAP and the head gasket problem was kinda fixed.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
The 98's and some of the 99 RS's were used a MAF sensor. A lot of people don't like these because they can become problematic. The 98 RS ECU doesn't take well to many forms of tuning, however, the Phase II SOHC 2.5's ECU does. The DOHC motor puts out a *little* less torque than the SOHC Phase II 2.5 motor (about 4ft/lbs or so, insignificant). As cmiovino mentioned, they also have a problem with the headgaskets. This was for all the 98-01 RS's, but moreso for the Phase I DOHC. I've had two SOHC 2.5s and both blew the headgaskets at around 100k miles. The 98's had a different front bumper with different fog lights, and some other options that weren't available until the later years (leather, red stitching, 6 spokes rims, white face gauges, and IIRC VLSD too). Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i personally prefer the 99-01 rs with phase2 motors. mainly because there are more options later on down the road with less hassle, plus its nicer inside and outside to me. if you plan on keeping it stock then your taste on the front bumper will make your decision. if you plan on possibly tuning it moderately without swapping it, then you may want the phase 2 motor. but thats just me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts