Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother fried his 98 RS motor (EJ25) he has spent the last 2 years trying to swap out for turbo charged 05 WRX (EJ20). I am trying to get the car running for as a Christmas present. The car will start for about 2 seconds, then it dies. I haven't been around for the majority of the swap, so I am not sure what he has done but the car looks like a hurricanes been in it.

Me and my Dad, think it is a fuel pressure issue. It pumps but we aren't sure how to check the pressure. We have a generic guage with a schrader valve hook up but we can't find a place to hook it up to.

·
...Lower it
01 Aspen Ej205'd RS
7,013 Posts
Boy this could be tons of issues. We need some more details. Does it ever start or always turn off

Also does it idle ok for those 2 seconds or no?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Almoost sounds like what the immobilzer systems do when the key isnt programmed to the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was reading on a site and it said:

"You need to remap the ECU to have the new engine codes, otherwise the computer will not let the engine run as the immobiliser/security system thinks that the car is getting stolen.Same thing with the key codes for the ignition"

Is this a posibility to my problem, and how do I get the codes or what ever to solve this problem. Or is there an way to just bypass the immobilzer systems? My brother doesn't have any remote or anything for his car, just the key.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I'm sure if you turn the key on and watch the immobilizer light it should go out or something similar like stop blinking. What dash is in the car, does it have the wrx dash? There has to be a way to know if the key is compatible without going to the dealer, someone with an 05 should be able to tell you what the immobilizer/theft light does. Use a test light connected to the power wires at the fuel pump plug under the rear seat... does the power shut off before the car dies?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that is the thing, my brother hasn't put the car completely together, he is just trying to get the car running then he is planning on putting the back together. The dash and everything is still not in. The only thing that is working for the most part is the engine.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
05 WRX does not have an immobilizer. only 06+ WRX and 05+ STi.

is your MAF wired correctly? You should really focus on getting the car complete, sometimes not having random unexpected things plugged in will not make it run correctly or at all. such as the gauge cluster. is it a full dash swap for all 05 WRX? or is it a merge with the 98 RS dash wiring? if you dont have the gauge cluster plugged in sometimes that can cause problems

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
^^^05' wrx's don't have an immobilizer.

As he said I'd make sure your maf isn't messed up. First I would just unplug it. The car will be in limp mode and will run. That will tell you pretty quickly if he has a bad maf or like I did by accident when I swapped my car I mounted the maf backwards. If that appears to be ok then I'd focus on your engine grounds and wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thank you, I will look at the MAF, the gauge cluster to see if it has the correct wiring. It has the 05 WRX gauge cluster, with the 98 RS dash. I think the wiring is a split between the 98 RS and 05 WRX.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Ok, so I unplugged the MAF, started it up and it stayed running. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.
Nice, now check to make sure the air is flowing the right way. Should look like this.

Don't have a better picture unfortunately. I have mine spun towards the back for better fitment but the plug comes out towards the front of the car. If that's mounted correctly then probably just has a bad maf.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
Ok, so I unplugged the MAF, started it up and it stayed running. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.
What air box are you running? If stock the maf only goes one way. You may have to get a new maf sensor if that one is dead.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
/\ Thanks again for the coilover pic, btw. And... so yeah, apparently I have the front camber plates mounted on the wrong side according to your above pic. Damn it. :bonk: I can never get any answers from AJW for some reason. Apparently the right coilover has the left camber plate and vice versa. All I have is camber adjust, no caster by the looks of it.

Great (and short) thread. So the wrx's didn't get immobilizer until 06, good to know. Wow, so those mafs are pretty delicate then? Can they be damaged by reverse mounting or is it just a defective part usually?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
/\ Thanks again for the coilover pic, btw
Great (and short) thread. So the wrx's didn't get immobilizer until 06, good to know. Wow, so those mafs are pretty delicate then? Can they be damaged by reverse mounting or is it just a defective part usually?
No problem.

The 05' sti's were the first to get it then yes the 06' wrx's got the immobilizer. Usually it's just a defective part. Reverse mounting it won't damage it just the car won't start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will look at the MAF when we get back in town, we left for my grandparents yesterday so I will look at it tomorrow when I get back. I have 'til January 2nd to get the engine atleast wired right. Thanks for the picture I will have to put a couple of mine up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.