Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 RS with the auto and I need a 5 speed. I've got an '00 RS tranny and diff, although a friend of mine has a '04 WRX tranny they'd sell to me for cheap. Can I just use the wrx trans and all of its parts for the swap? I've done some searching, although I'm not sure if I've been using the right search terms. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
Yes! You need the wrx rear differential too, and a manual trans 1st generation impreza (all models) driveshaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere that the carrier bearing bolts are different? Also, would a forester driveshaft work?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
Where did you read that? And I believe the Forester drive shaft is a different length driveshaft than 1st gen impreza

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,651 Posts
I would spring for a 02-07 wrx driveshaft if you have the money. The u joint was upgraded for the 2002 model year as a slip joint instead of a U joint and is a little quieter and offers more protection from the elements.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
I would spring for a 02-07 wrx driveshaft if you have the money.
The length of the GD/GC 5mt driveshafts are the same? I didn't know that.

The factory 5mt driveshaft I took off my 2000 RS was like you described, it is a one piece with the "slip joint."

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,651 Posts
I did a complete 2004 wrx drivetrain and everything bolted up perfectly. If he does a wrx trans and diff, a wrx driveshaft would bolt up to that. The mounting points are all the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How was it compared to the RS trans considering the different final drive? I don't have an 5MT driveshaft quite yet, but sourcing the wrx one is essentially already done.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
Significantly longer gearing. I like the 02-05 wrx (and 06-07 for that matter) transmissions. Great for highway cruising, but your off the line speed will be slower.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,651 Posts
I agree with Mike that I'd take the WRX trans all day long. You're at like 3500/4k in 5th gear at 75 and with the wrx trans its more like 3000 IIRC. Much less engine noise in the cabin at highway speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts