Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the car last friday in D.C, and started to drive home. I knew that the cruise didn't work when I picked it up. I stopped at a waffle house for breakfast, and checked the fuses/vacuum lines/pedal switches, and found that the cruise clutch switch pad was missing, so taped a penny on for the time being. The light on the switch still comes on, but no joy with the cruise.

Later on, someone cut me off and when I want to honk, there was no horn either. so at the next gas stop (900 mile trip back to WI) I checked under the dash, it looked like there were some connectors unplugged, and a couple of bare spades also.

I was also told that the Airbag light has about a 50/50 chance of staying on after the car's started.

I got home, and started looking into it, and found that the green plugs are not to be connected, because they're a diagnostic connection of some sort.

BUT I've still got a couple different connectors unplugged, and some bare wire ends just hanging out.

I found that the clockspring could be the culprit. So, here's my first question: If the clockspring is broken, will the turn signals still auto-cancel? Because mine do that just fine.

And for the second question, it comes in the form of a picture:

click for full-size (4416x3312):

There's a black 6-pin connector that only has 5 pins in it. right above it are two black wires with pins that are not in any connector (I've never seen bare pins just hanging out before). and there's a 2-pin connector, towards the right of the photo, with white/black and a blue/yellow wires.

Second Question, are any of these connectors related at all to the cruise/horn and/or airbag?

I'm in the process of downloading some different FSM's to try and pore over the electrical diagrams, but if anyone knows something off the top of their head, please let me know. Thanks!

--sarge

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well then, from what I've been able to find, the 2-pin connector on the right is for the brake light switch if there is NOT cruise installed.

the black 6-pin connector is a diagnostic connector.

the two bare-ended black wires are actually supposed to be in the green diagnostic connectors.

so nothing in that photo is out of whack, apparently.

Which is pointing me towards the Steering Roll Connector (aka clock spring). I believe the 98 - 01 model years use a different one than 97 and before.

so now I just need to find one!

--sarge

·
Registered
05' OBP STi / 01' SRP 2.5RS
10 Posts
Yea, my cruise doesn't work either... light comes on the button but no cruise, not sure if its like the Avalanche were if you have the ABS fuse pulled it will not work, havn't looked into it yet. Stupid door open warning light/dome light/marker lights come on and go as they please as well, thinking it may be something in the driverside door as the power lock on d.s door doesn't work. Few little things to fix on it but other then that im lovin it.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Yea, my cruise doesn't work either... light comes on the button but no cruise, not sure if its like the Avalanche were if you have the ABS fuse pulled it will not work, havn't looked into it yet. Stupid door open warning light/dome light/marker lights come on and go as they please as well, thinking it may be something in the driverside door as the power lock on d.s door doesn't work. Few little things to fix on it but other then that im lovin it.
Door warning lights mean that one of the wires on your door sensors is grounding out on something. The sensor is located in the B pillar on most scoobies.

On the horn issue, take a test light (or preferably a multimeter) out, unhook your horn, plug in the test light, and hit the button. Horns have a habit of going bad due to water/rust/debris getting into the contacts inside the horn.

Can't help with the cruise though, mine didn't work once because it was plugged into the wrong vacuum line. But good luck!

·
Registered
05' OBP STi / 01' SRP 2.5RS
10 Posts
Figured out my cruise problem, vacuum line for it is not hooked up, now I just need to figure out where it goes.
As far as the light thing, I'm not sure its a sensor because when it goes on and the dome light flashes the marker lights outside turn on and the relay clicks on and off. No relay clickage if I just push the door jam switches in. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the alarm.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Oh, yeah that does sound like an alarm.

The vacuum for the cruise I don't remember where it's *Supposed* to go, but I know mine works fine with it plugged into the port on the passenger-rear intake manifold runner (right by the one for the FPR). It also worked fine when plugged into certain (but not all) ports on the throttle body.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good deal on your cruise.

I'm pretty sure it's my clockspring (steering roll connector). I tested my horn directly to the battery, and it worked fine, so the horn itself is functional. but between the horn, the cruise, and the intermittent airbag light, I'm pretty certain the clockspring is messed up.

--sarge

·
Registered
98 OBS
677 Posts
for what it's worth i have a 98 obs as well and was able to install a clockspring pulled from a 96 or 97 L and that resolved my airbag light, horn & cruise issues... no indication there was any difference (visually) between the oem part the one i pulled that it replaced

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.