Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
I call the Impreza L interior "puketastic tan" lol. I'd love to have full JDM interior in my 00 RS coupe, but piecing together all the parts would probably cost close to what I paid for the car. :( Sedan stuff is way more common.

Are you doing this in real time? Or is this all a recap from months ago?

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was thinking about shelling out for those coupe door cards on eBay right now, but I'm happier spending that on pretty much this entire interior instead. I might have to do a sedan some time in the future just to see how easy it would be to locate parts, and not have to shell out for them.

This is real time. Last post is the most updated I'll be. I know I started with recaps, but here forward it will all be current. Right now the WRX is at Flat Four Specialties getting torn down, then I gotta head up to pick up all the pieces worth selling as a part out, then I get to deliver the Impreza coupe for the transplant and amputations.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I call the Impreza L interior "puketastic tan" lol. I'd love to have full JDM interior in my 00 RS coupe, but piecing together all the parts would probably cost close to what I paid for the car. :( Sedan stuff is way more common.

Are you doing this in real time? Or is this all a recap from months ago?
Just sourced the AC lines off a working 98 forester. I was going to go get them off one at the junkyard, but it seemed kind of silly to do for this purpose. I hope they will be compatible. Thanks again for the advice so far Mike!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
Nice! They will work as long as you use the correct condenser.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice! They will work as long as you use the correct condenser.
Yeah a little smh moment there. I zero'd in on the AC lines a bit too hard, and now am reaching out to the gentleman to see about shipping the condenser as well as the fans. These things will nickel and dime you to your death and I wouldn't change it for the world.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
Lol, ain't that the truth. Now that mine runs and drives, all the little annoyances are WORTH IT!

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You ever find yourself cruising marketplace, or craigslist for some of us, and you come across that deal that you don't need, but you know you'd regret if you didn't take advantage of? That was this past week for me. A set of wheels popped up and they were listed on marketplace for 6 minutes. 6 measly minutes, and I was somehow too slow to pull the trigger. They were listed with minimal info. so I felt the need to clarify some things. They answered by giving me a "sad react" and listed them as sold. First time something like that happened to me. Like I said from the beginning, they were something I didn't need, so it's not like the disappointment really weighed on me. I was just like damn, oh well. 16 hours later, they pop up again. No questions asked, I setup a meeting and agreed to meet the kid this morning in Reading, PA. Interestingly enough, he purchased them from the original buyer but they would not work for him since he needed 5x114.3 for his Ford Probe. These were 5x100 so I was able to snag them off him. So without further adieu (yes I looked that up,) these will be the new wheels for the impreza.

IMG_1433.PNG IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1436.jpg IMG_1438.jpg

Team Dynamic Motorsport Pro Race 1.2 17x8 +48 offset- Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels (17x8", 48mm, 5x100, Set/4) High Power Silver
They felt incredibly light so I decided to use my wife's Lularoe mail scale to get an idea on weight. With the old wheel weights off, I'm assuming they're right around 19.5 pounds a piece. I won't be racing (at least I don't think), but I'm pretty excited what these will do to the response of the car.

I also scored the other final piece of the interior puzzle the other day, the grey coupe headliner.
IMG_1425.jpg
Found it from the same guy that I found local with most of the other interior parts. He def. has some sort of hookup for these Impreza coupes and 2.5rs's and he is very secretive about it. Oh well, I'll use it to my advantage as much as possible. All that's left is front seat belts, which I did find, but for like $240.... hard no. I'll paint my tan ones before I ever do that or just make the wrx ones work.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
351 Posts
Just felt like typing out some thoughts here again. I can't remember if I said anything about the interior, if so sorry, if not, than good because I'm about to. One of my favorite combinations for a car, say an Aston Martin Db9, Porsche 911, Jaguar f-type, or even some less expensive cars like the GT-86 and Mazda Miata is dark green paint with all tan interior (run-on sentence.) However, the tan interior on these imprezas is DREADFUL. Mine is shot so there is that factor, but the combination between the tan the light brown, and gray is just god awful in my opinion. So, outside of the 05 WRX swap, I set out to pick up as much dark interior as I could get my hands on.

At first I was thinking I just wanted the full 2.5rs interior, but once I really got to thinking about it, I didn't care for the checkered and faux carbon fiber design it offered (as I typed this I realized that it definitely has been mentioned, but oh well there's a better conclusion this time,) so I decided I was going to piece together my own setup. I set out to find as many oem pieces as possible in black off of Imprezas. This was when I realized they mixed the black and gray on most of their interiors, so I started looking into fitment compatibility between Imprezas and other chassis. I don't know if it's full 98-02 or just 98-00, but the e-brake cover on the forester is the same as the Impreza and comes in black, so I opted for ordering a used one off eBay for $30 shipped to my door. At this point I have acquired a full 2.5rs dash with glovebox, steering column surround, and fuse box cover, a mint un-cracked dash cubby (scored for $10 from a long-time LVSE acquaintance!), the forester e-brake cover, the center console, an armrest, waiting on my shift cover that I ordered new from Subaru, all 4 gray Impreza doorcards, A and B-C pillars in gray, the rear speaker cover in black, the door sills in gray, and now I have acquired a 95 coupe carpet in gray as well as arranged to pick up a non-sunroof gray impreza coupe headliner! Buttoning that up with my junkyard find interior clips and this thing can finally be swapped completely over from tan to black and gray. I am SO PUMPED!!! All that's left to do is the seats obviously and I'm planning to just use the 05 wrx seats at first until I can source something more appropriate.Hopefully my next update involves progress on the wrx! Stay tuned.
Gotta make it how you like it if you're gonna spend a lot of time in there (y)

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Gotta make it how you like it if you're gonna spend a lot of time in there (y)
Fully agree. Most of my past modified cars were all exterior mods and performance based, not comfort. Sure I love looking at my cars and I like when others compliment it, but you’re right, you spend more time in the car than you do staring at it, so Make it enjoyable in there!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
I grabbed Gates hoses from autozone or o'riellys. I remember needing to trim one, and the other fit perfect. 1991-1994 Legacy Sports for the application.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Little update for ya'll. WRX teardown began today. The shop made a lot of progress.
IMG_1507.JPG IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1513.JPG IMG_1514.JPG
As you can see, it quickly became pretty clear that it sat for awhile. However, for sitting almost 18 months, it really doesn't look too bad, except for...
IMG_1516.JPG I feel pretty lucky that I will not be needing this chassis anymore. For those that can't see, that's what is left of the strut tower brace.

Next up is getting up to his shop to pick up the carcass and get it back to my father's shop where I can pull off the remaining panels I can hopefully sell to get a few bucks back. If anyone is local to me, 17078 that could lend a helping hand with that, please let me know. I sold my GMC Yukon this past winter just to free up space and am really regretting it at the moment!

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So I got a little update today on the health of my engine. Here's the quote from the shop...
"Leak down results were great! Worst cylinder was only 7%. I happened to notice the up pipe cat is broken when I pulled the turbo off. I suspect that is what hurt the seals in the turbo. Not sure if you have any leads on a TD04 or not? And also have to figure out what you want to do for an up pipe. I have OE used catless pipes if that helps. Will send a pic of the up cat in a second."
IMG_1530.JPG
So, I think I managed to duck out of danger with this one. I've seen many motors be reduced to useless from a bad cat in the up-pipe. So, the search continues for another used td04 and this is where we head off to story-time.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... just kidding, wasn't that long ago, some time in 2011. So my first WRX I mentioned before, that was my first Subaru overall. I formed the foundation of my subaru street knowledge off that car.
1936558_169070283880_4111543_n.jpg
This was the day I bought it October 16, 2009 at Manheim Auto Auction in Manheim, PA. It had somewhere in the vicinity of 140,000 miles on it, and would not stay running. It ended up having a bad terminal or something so I had to keep it revved up at every light on my 100 mile drive home. At 17 it was pretty nerve wracking. I picked the car up for $3300 and couldn't have been happier. I brought my 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe down, sold it for $3500, and was able to break even on the WRX with the auction fees. Anyway... fast forward a bit, got into modding the car and decided on a VF-39, sti t mic, injectors, fuel pump, etc. Silly me bought a used VF-39 from across the country, had it shipped, didn't inspect it and slapped it in, took it to R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA and was so embarassed when the turbo completely let loose on the dyno. The amount of smoke that came from my car was insane. So... they thankfully told me they weren't going to charge me anything, and gave me a deadline of 24 hours to keep my spot in line if I still wanted tuning. Absolutely I still wanted tuning, but being my original td04, which was in fine working order was stolen, I wasn't too sure what I was going to do. Oh, did I mention that this was all happening a few days before I had to report to my first duty station? I was off to a great start in my enlistment. I lucked out to someone local having a TD04 for me. So I slapped it in and went and had the wrx tuned with all the other sti upgrades. Oh, it was also my first experience with an EWG car. Man was that obnoxious. And wonderful. I forget what the car made but it functioned just fine on the road with no fuel cuts or any sort of issues so I was happy.
The point of this is, whenever I start looking around for a used turbo, I go back to this nightmare of a time and wonder if it's worth it or if I should just pull out the credit card and go with a newer 16g or similar and all supporting mods... Time will tell. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sooo... some shenanigans occurred yesterday. Went up to Rich's shop to pick up what's left of the wrx. Fortunately he has done this several times before so the fact that I brought some fairly inconvenient equipment was not too big of a damper for him. It worked just fine, but there are definitely easier options out there.
IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1554.jpg
Working with a black car at the hottest point of the day definitely worked over on us. I left his shop around 3 to head up to the Pocono's about an hour and 45 minutes east on 80. Nice easy ride and no DOT harassment. SCORE! Got it up to my dad's and started pulling all the panels out of the van and the car.
IMG_1555.jpg
After that, it was just time to pick the most convenient spot to place it, without a loader...
IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1558.JPG
Surprisingly, it went MUCH easier than expected. I positioned the trailer so that it was already at a decline and my buddy Mike and I literally just walked the chassis down the trailer. Very useful leverage advice if you ever have a large piece of equipment that won't dig into the ground. We walked it down to the point it was seesawing, used that pallet and a couple steel wheels to place the back down then with the use of the hill I just drove the trailer out from under it. When it was real close we threw the other two wheels and tires down and it landed on them perfect. It wasn't too bad, but next time I plan to do something like this, I will make sure I have a truck and trailer with a winch and some heavy duty carts in my stable. Oh by the way, before I just decide to scrap it for taking up space, anyone want an 05 WRX limited chassis?? I'll be putting it in a part out on here and NASIOC most likely. I have just about every panel for it pulled and sitting safe in my dad's shop located at 18072.

Filling up the u-haul before I had to turn it in. I had until 11am today, but just decided to get it knocked out last night. It sure was fun backing the trailer in a not-so well-lit parking lot at 12am. Now onto getting the coupe up to Rich!

Attachments

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Picked up a 2.5rs hood the other day with some over-sized WRC vents.
4440C5F7-227E-4905-882D-B6F1D961C212.jpeg 078EA8F9-4E51-43DA-89C8-828BA212D723.jpeg
Got a scoop enroute to me too, that will be a big hurdle out of my way👍🏼

P.S. just learned how easy RS25 is to use from my phone. RS25>NASIOC!!

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Had a very productive weekend. Got the WRX COMPLETELY stripped down.
043EDD13-69C2-447C-9943-0DF94F1FAC7C.jpeg 893A4296-7C3A-4E4E-95CB-5C5F3E68526E.jpeg EEAAE39F-B3D8-48DE-97A3-194FCCAD39F1.jpeg 345DD61B-3492-4897-8E22-51D44898E4BB.jpeg 0377E2AC-6954-4F83-983A-F048FAE121F0.jpeg A0A3FA0B-6FDA-47B9-A85C-DEA2B9DF169B.jpeg
Spent a lot of hours in the sun, but happy to see it ready for the scrap yard. A little bummed the rust-free quarters won't go to use but I'm literally out of storage space at my dad's shop.

I am going to be updating my RS25 and Nasioc posts, and if you see it on facebook as well, to reflect all available WRX pieces with images of each in the coming week. This heat has been too much for me to take the time to take nice pictures of each individual piece at the end of the day. I just want a shower and a cider to finish it off.

I was very close to getting the impreza up to my buddy's shop today. The car decided to have a little stage fright and threw a code and was running real rough. First time having any issue with it since I've had it.
2665D391-D734-4A4E-A011-68E3E5675E8B.jpeg
Yesterday it was deader than a doornail so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Cars do not like dead dead batteries. So, I threw it on a trickle charger all day and decided to drive it home to see if that helped, which it did. It runs 100% again with no codes. Annoying little roadblock, but I'm determined to get it up there this weekend. I was so happy to drive the car the 90 minutes or so out to my house. I CANNOT wait for the transplant.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It took an extra day, but the coupe has been dropped off for teardown so the swap can officially begin!
75DEE788-3725-40FE-9041-4B906F78061B.jpeg
The shell of the WRX was also picked up.
1AA57386-7961-4844-A342-B7BB41A0F321.jpeg
I promised my dad it’d be gone in a week and I kept that promise. That feels really good. Some of my past builds have affected relationships around me negatively. This one is off to a great start and that couldn’t make me happier.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
FINALLY!!!!
Can’t believe how long it has taken to find a reasonably priced td04.

All that’s left is to pick up a new power steering pump.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Also, I’m surprised this never made it on here.

I was really close to just going forth with the 05 seats, but the more I read about the swaps and learned about the people in them, I realized it wasn’t for me. I did not expect to be comfortable in them at my height. So, I took to marketplace and came across this discontinued cr-1 about 30 min away. Found the 4-pt harness on there as well. We’ll see how she fits instead! It is an extremely comfortable seat and fits me very well at 6’1 160. Hoping to be able to track down a passenger seat as well! I saw the wide version on ebay that I’m contemplating, but can’t bring myself to spend double what I got this for.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts