Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Don't worry that the fan plugs are possibly different on the forester, you may have to splice the plugs from your 98L onto the Fozzie fans.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
402 Posts
@mike-tracy Can't you use the condenser, aluminum hard line, and soft discharge line from a 98-00 forester? I thought those were the same between 98-00 on a forester, it was just the metal style slim fan shrouds that were 98 Forester/RS only, correct?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
EDIT! FXTRev, the 98 Forester is unique, different engine, electronics, radiator, lines and condenser from any other Forester. Also it was the only Forester with the phase 1 automatic trans.

You are right, thanks for the correction

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Sncej20, if you could find a 98 RS getting parted, that would be perfect. But they are unicorns.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sncej20, if you could find a 98 RS getting parted, that would be perfect. But they are unicorns.
You got that right, about 50 99-01's for every 98 out there. When you do see them, they're usually mint though!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know the metal slim fans and radiator are unique to 98 Forester/RS, but the condenser on the 98 Forester and a/c lines share the same part numbers up until 2000.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Ahh I think you're right, and I think I posted that in that long ass thread lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ahh I think you're right, and I think I posted that in that long ass thread lol
Yeah, that's where I got that info haha. Then I verified it myself by going through all the parts diagrams for 98-00. The part numbers for the 98 RS stuff is different than the Forester though, even 98 only.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Yeah, that's where I got that info haha. Then I verified it myself by going through all the parts diagrams for 98-00. The part numbers for the 98 RS stuff is different than the Forester though, even 98 only.
You are right. With my genuine 98 RS condenser, and the 98 forester lines, everything lines up and is the correct length, and clears my 91-94 turbo legacy radiator. Ill fix my graphic and info in this thread so I don't lead anyone else astray. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: FXTrev

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
You got that right, about 50 99-01's for every 98 out there. When you do see them, they're usually mint though!
This is the thread FXTrev and I are referring to: Swapped GC, Radiator Clearance?
I just made it a sticky. As you can see, theres more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to AC and Radiators.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
I fixed the graphic, the difference is 99-00 Foresters will also work for the condenser and lines. If you want the slim metal shrouded fans, that is still something that came on 98 RS/98 Forester only, from what I can tell.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I appreciate the feedback and corrections. I got about 10-11 pages into that thread and just had to walk away. Sooo many skinned cats... R1819 is the most common answer, but I don’t need anything to that level. I think it would be overkill. I may try to find a legacy turbo one like you have. They are getting awfully hard to find anymore. If I do find one and fans, are those fans ideal for the swap?

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
I appreciate the feedback and corrections. I got about 10-11 pages into that thread and just had to walk away. Sooo many skinned cats... R1819 is the most common answer, but I don’t need anything to that level. I think it would be overkill. I may try to find a legacy turbo one like you have. They are getting awfully hard to find anymore. If I do find one and fans, are those fans ideal for the swap?
R1819 or GC8 or 91-94 Turbo Legacy radiators will all do the same thing, interchange with the same fans, but as far as I know only the R1819 aftermarket radiators are all aluminum. From personal experience the 91-94 OEM radiators last over a decade.

As I mentioned before, the 98 RS or Forester fans fit that/those radiators. Additionally, the 91-94 Legacy turbo fans and GC8 turbo fans fit. The slight differences are in the plugs (no problem to resplice with the correct ones for your car) and what style coolant overflow bottle fits. All these ones are the slim metal shrouded fans, and will give you the best clearance you can get from OEM parts.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
R1819 or GC8 or 91-94 Turbo Legacy radiators will all do the same thing, interchange with the same fans, but as far as I know only the R1819 aftermarket radiators are all aluminum. From personal experience the 91-94 OEM radiators last over a decade.

As I mentioned before, the 98 RS or Forester fans fit that/those radiators. Additionally, the 91-94 Legacy turbo fans and GC8 turbo fans fit. The slight differences are in the plugs (no problem to resplice with the correct ones for your car) and what style coolant overflow bottle fits. All these ones are the slim metal shrouded fans, and will give you the best clearance you can get from OEM parts.
I appreciate and sorry for having you repeat yourself man. I got confused when Fxtrev started bringing up points, but I'm glad he did that way my search criteria was able to expand. Changing from 1998 to 98-00 makes a big difference. I haven't been able to find the parts on anything like carparts or subaruparts so I think I'm left to another junkyard trip. I'm pretty pumped about my 91-94 legacy Koyo rad that is on its way. Easily the newest and nicest piece that will be on the car so far haha.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Haha sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't confused with the info I had.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haha sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't confused with the info I had.
No, not a problem at all man. A lot of info. out there and like Mike said, there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat. Definitely nice knowing oem pieces can be used on these swaps though.

·
Registered
White 1998 L Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just felt like typing out some thoughts here again. I can't remember if I said anything about the interior, if so sorry, if not, than good because I'm about to. One of my favorite combinations for a car, say an Aston Martin Db9, Porsche 911, Jaguar f-type, or even some less expensive cars like the GT-86 and Mazda Miata is dark green paint with all tan interior (run-on sentence.) However, the tan interior on these imprezas is DREADFUL. Mine is shot so there is that factor, but the combination between the tan the light brown, and gray is just god awful in my opinion. So, outside of the 05 WRX swap, I set out to pick up as much dark interior as I could get my hands on.

At first I was thinking I just wanted the full 2.5rs interior, but once I really got to thinking about it, I didn't care for the checkered and faux carbon fiber design it offered (as I typed this I realized that it definitely has been mentioned, but oh well there's a better conclusion this time,) so I decided I was going to piece together my own setup. I set out to find as many oem pieces as possible in black off of Imprezas. This was when I realized they mixed the black and gray on most of their interiors, so I started looking into fitment compatibility between Imprezas and other chassis. I don't know if it's full 98-02 or just 98-00, but the e-brake cover on the forester is the same as the Impreza and comes in black, so I opted for ordering a used one off eBay for $30 shipped to my door. At this point I have acquired a full 2.5rs dash with glovebox, steering column surround, and fuse box cover, a mint un-cracked dash cubby (scored for $10 from a long-time LVSE acquaintance!), the forester e-brake cover, the center console, an armrest, waiting on my shift cover that I ordered new from Subaru, all 4 gray Impreza doorcards, A and B-C pillars in gray, the rear speaker cover in black, the door sills in gray, and now I have acquired a 95 coupe carpet in gray as well as arranged to pick up a non-sunroof gray impreza coupe headliner! Buttoning that up with my junkyard find interior clips and this thing can finally be swapped completely over from tan to black and gray. I am SO PUMPED!!! All that's left to do is the seats obviously and I'm planning to just use the 05 wrx seats at first until I can source something more appropriate.Hopefully my next update involves progress on the wrx! Stay tuned.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts