Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza outback m/t 2.2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a noob when it comes to subaru's. So it will start and run fine for a few times. Then the rest of the time it will take a minute or two to start. Runs rough then bogs out and dies. I got it about two weeks ago. It is a m/t.
Here is want i have put on it
Fuel filter
Iacv
Nss
Tps
And now i am hearing a solid noise from the fuel pump. Could the fuel pump be going bad? And does any know if this thing as a fuel cut off switch?

·
Registered
'96 OBS
350 Posts
Usually with the symptoms you described I'd say to check your vaccum lines, especially the one that goes to the MAP sensor (if the 98's had a MAP). In your case though, if the fuel pump is actually making bad noises I'd just go ahead and replace it. It shouldn't be hard to get to in a wagon (seriously, be glad you don't have a coupe). Worst case you might want to take the seat backs out, which are pretty quick n easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hose are good. Ya that was what i was thinking. Ya coupes suck for those jobs

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would check the MAF sensor and/or the ignition control module. Does the car have a hood scoop, and did you remove the backing plate to the scoop?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so started it this morning and starts with no problems. As soon as it gets to opt temp thats when she starts to have problems. I put her to 3500 rpm to see if it might be the o2, but still bogs and i put gas in to it. I have been reading and reading. Could it be the temp sensor like i have been reading?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts

The coolant temp sensor could be a culprit. There are two on your car, and both are on the coolant crossover pipe, which lives under the intake manifold. You can see in the pic above, both crossover pipes have them in a different spot. The one with the single blade connector is for the dash temp gauge. The other one (red plug with multiple pins in this pic, but it does vary) is the one that your ECU reads from. I'd recommend replacing that ecu one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 86725
The coolant temp sensor could be a culprit. There are two on your car, and both are on the coolant crossover pipe, which lives under the intake manifold. You can see in the pic above, both crossover pipes have them in a different spot. The one with the single blade connector is for the dash temp gauge. The other one (red plug with multiple pins in this pic, but it does vary) is the one that your ECU reads from. I'd recommend replacing that ecu one.
How much to i got to take off to get it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so i for got that it is smelling like its running rich. Also i have cleaned my maf and no cel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took her for a ride ( warmed up) nonthing at at first then started to attack up. Went up over 3500 because I've seen the stuff about the open loop for the o2. It ran better for the most part, then dies. Started after a few trys then boom no problem. Sitting in drive way letting it run and boom bogged out and died as im writing this. So im thinking it just might be that o2. (Again from what ive been reading on here). So what is your guys thoughts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh one more thing would to much oil cause this problem? Just come across something about and checked. To much oil and it was done just before i bought

·
Registered
'96 OBS
350 Posts
How much to i got to take off to get it?
Honestly I can't remember for 98s what the intake manifold and PS pump look like exactly. Look for the crosspipe (in the picture Mike posted) under the intake manifold (behind the alternator and ps pump). If you can see your temp sensor you can probably get it out. If you can't you might need to take some of the accessories off. Start with the alternator (since it's easiest) and then see if that helps you see where the temp sensor is.

Hard to tell if it might be the O2. It might be worth a shot, but a temp sensor should be cheaper and I'd expect the O2 sensor to cause a CEL if was having issues. Not guaranteed, but just seems odd for it to be misbhehaving so much without throwing a CEL at all ...

I really don't think too much oil would cause such a specific problem, but it's not great for things anyways. Might as well sort that out since it's worth fixing anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could the coolent temp sensor cause the problem im having? And again i cant get this thing to pop the cel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya it working. So here is where im at. Before i get in to that, i decided to go back to my maf. I clean it when I got it so I kind of just ruled that out. so I decide to go back to it and decide to unplug up it to see if it would start.(warmed her up before this) and it started right up over and over and over and over without a problem. As soon as I plug the maf back in it just bogs out and dies. Then back to problems. If im corrert the maf is not working right

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah that's definitely a MAF issue, as I correctly noted in the first post. I would look into replacing that or possibly checking the continuity of the engine harness connected to the MAF. Sometimes it can get corroded or stretched out if someone pulls the harness too hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a a day or two off from it. Which was needed. Thank you to all of you. It was the maf for now lol. Special thanks to stalkergc. she running beautifully with no problems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts