Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 wrx & 98 impreza outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the cuplrit here. I got a 98 impreza outback 2.2 L and I just installed a new battery and it wont start or crank. I hear a click sound from the starter but thats about. Now, I figure to replace the battery cause I was at a friends garage and we were working on the car and the car did the same thing at the garage except once my friend hooked up his jumper to the car the car started right up beautifully. So they told me to get a new battery and I made my way home fine.

Next day is when I replaced the battery and tried to start her up and she just wont crank. Lights come on, radio on, signals work, everything electrionically works. No fuses blown from what I saw when I pulled them out.

So if the starter clicks, could the solenoid be bad? But, it started fine when it was jumped. Alternator? No that seems fine too. And the terminal has a little bit of dirty to it which needs to be cleaned but if it was the terminals then the car would not light up and radio would not work.

Im not sure, I need someones advice.

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
Clean the terminals, that's most likely your problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean my terminals....I did that, and actually I replaced my terminals with new ones. I stated before that every electronic element in the car is working, head lights, radio, horn, blinkers, etc. etc. It works! Its not the battery or the terminals. When I turn the key to start I hear a soft "click" from the starter area. I don't hear any "cranking" or turning over. Im wondering if the starter just died out or the solenoid on it is gone. Because last time the car actually started was through jumped cables and she started up fine on the first try.

Oh and please note my fuel filler tube is rusted all the way out and Im currently in the process of replacing that, but I still dont see how a hole in the fuel filler tube would cause the car not to crank.....

Bump!

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
try hitting the starter with a hammer. If you have a bad starter hitting hit will usually get it to start. also be sure that you positive cable that goes directly to the starter has a good connection as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was the starter, bwhahaha, i replaced it with one i got from the junk yard and it starts up beautifully, weeeeee!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
it was the starter, bwhahaha, i replaced it with one i got from the junk yard and it starts up beautifully, weeeeee!
There you go.

One thing that happened to me in the past was the starter solenoid was not disengaging. As a result, when the engine was running, the starter was still engaged. As it would happen, this sucks all the power out of the battery. You can drive just fine because the alternator keeps things going, but as soon as you stop you're SOL. :(

·
Registered
'98 Forester
95 Posts
Dang ... the problem is the starter contacts ... like $8 ..... the gear reduction type starters have small brass contacts inside that wear out ... very common with Subaru , Toyota and others ....Takes about 10 minutes once the starter is out to swap them out ....

Usually cause an erratic click but no start , usually if you keep trying it will start ... usually more when its cold ....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea but i got a starter for 20 bucks at the junk yard, and i could get them for like 30-40 bucks on ebay new. so good deals

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just ran into a similar issue, been googleing to no avail. today i swapped out my deck, and when i put it all back together it will not turn over. all my interior lights work, horn, stereo, headlights. i hear the fuel pump but when i go to start it i hear a click under the dash on the passenger side but nothing under the hood. i also took apart the center console to have more room and put it into drive by hand. any help would be appreciated. thanks all! PS it's a 98 impreza outback sport 2.2 New Battery. i know its not the battery.

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
If auto, is your gear shifter all the way in park? If you were messing around near that, it's possible to bump it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts